This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be doing good to get the gravel down for the gazebo, around the pool, and the eventual firepit, this month...lol. We finally got the pool back to normal at least...and it's stopped raining.

I'd love to be able to build the mini deck steps for the pool this month, but somehow I doubt I'll get the wife to sign off on the material expense. I estimate it'll be about $175-$200 for materials (probably more like $150, but better to get the approval for more, hehe). Not too bad, but it's a tight month, so....

We've had a few different potential boarders, so if those come to fruition, it'll sidetrack me as I'll have to make sure those stalls are usable (I often steal from the unused stalls to fix the occupied ones)....meaning each will have to be stripped, leveled, new shavings, ensure each has a good feed bucket and water bucket installed, as well as the two fans we put in each (gets hot here). (which is just more expense...but luckily, would be secured by a deposit of new boarders).

well,it looks like i wont be doing much outside yet,if anything at all.it's still so humid out.i decided forget mowing for now.and the yard needs it bad,from all the rain we've gotten..

That's what killed us last time, just so damn hot and humid. We got about 2/3 of it done (mowing), but still 1/3 to go. Didn't help that she got the tractor stuck, so that ate up time too.

I did come up with a good trick for it though. She got stuck pushing the manure back...so like mud. Added a bag of shavings, half under each wheel, to increase the density of the material, and she was able to drive out of it. Of course, that was my plan D about that point, as A, B, and C, didn't work...lol. (Unfortunately, there was no way to hook it up to the truck or anything, given the angle it was at, to the fence).

That's a lot of soup!

That's amazing! How the heck did you do THAT?
We went in to buy the chicken leg quarters at $3.50 for a 10 lb bag that was advertised in the circular. I have also gotten to know the produce manager pretty well and he was actually in the process of marking the 10 lb bags of potatoes down and also some bananas for $1 apiece so it was a total luck for me!!

Got the septic permit yesterday. $800 and 5 minute's time for some government lacky to look at a hand full of dirt. What a scam. Today I picked up 1800' feet of 1-1/2" pipe and 4 frost free hydrants to run water from the well to the house site and barn. Started hauling in gravel for the driveway. Going to start with 80 truck loads and see how far that goes. Tomorrow I'm going to the lake and spend the day on the beach with my dog and best friend and a cooler full of liquid refreshments.

As for the soups being made - -
Cajun Chicken Soup
Chicken Corn Chowder
Italian Chicken Soup
Cowboy Soup
Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken Stew

already made up:
Cream of Chicken Soup (used for cooking)
Sweet & Sour Chicken
Chicken Enchilada Soup
Mexican Soup
South of the Boarder Soup
Chicken & Dumplin Starter

These are nice to have on hand for a quick lunch or dinner. Since hunny is away for work, all he needs to do is open up a jar and heat it up. We will be smoking 20 lbs tomorrow in the smoker and then freezing in vacuum bags. Whatever is left over will also be divided into four leg quarters per bag, vacuumed sealed and placed in freezer. Hunny did bring home 50 more lbs today! Kinda excited to get started tomorrow and already started making my game plan tonight.

Got the septic permit yesterday. $800 and 5 minute's time for some government lacky to look at a hand full of dirt. What a scam. Today I picked up 1800' feet of 1-1/2" pipe and 4 frost free hydrants to run water from the well to the house site and barn. Started hauling in gravel for the driveway. Going to start with 80 truck loads and see how far that goes. Tomorrow I'm going to the lake and spend the day on the beach with my dog and best friend and a cooler full of liquid refreshments.
You have to know when to relax once in a while. Something I really need to convince myself! The whole septic thing really is a scam. They made me get a license here to do my own septic. The test was a joke, and it cost me I think 275.00 for it. Still way cheaper than paying someone else to do it.

As for the soups being made - -
Cajun Chicken Soup
Chicken Corn Chowder
Italian Chicken Soup
Cowboy Soup
Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken Stew

already made up:
Cream of Chicken Soup (used for cooking)
Sweet & Sour Chicken
Chicken Enchilada Soup
Mexican Soup
South of the Boarder Soup
Chicken & Dumplin Starter

These are nice to have on hand for a quick lunch or dinner. Since hunny is away for work, all he needs to do is open up a jar and heat it up. We will be smoking 20 lbs tomorrow in the smoker and then freezing in vacuum bags. Whatever is left over will also be divided into four leg quarters per bag, vacuumed sealed and placed in freezer. Hunny did bring home 50 more lbs today! Kinda excited to get started tomorrow and already started making my game plan tonight.
Wow. I'm still slaking on getting canning done right now. The building is main priority. The good news is we started hanging sheathing on the roof! One its up and covered I can slow down and tend to other things again. I just don't want all this material and time getting ruined by rain. Drying in the structure is my one goal in life right now.

Don't blame you there Brent!! You gotta have priorities in life and you are tending to the "have to" right now as it should be. I just had extra time now, so this has been my main focus. Starting next week though, I will need to start focusing on getting in some of the fall garden. You do what you gotta do when you can

Don't blame you there Brent!! You gotta have priorities in life and you are tending to the "have to" right now as it should be. I just had extra time now, so this has been my main focus. Starting next week though, I will need to start focusing on getting in some of the fall garden. You do what you gotta do when you can
I've always been goal driven. I think it's important to prioritize things in life to accomplish your goals. That being said, why in the hell did I start this project in the hottest time of the year! At least today wasn't unbearable. I'm really hoping to have the roof sheathed by tomorrow. If not at least we will be close. It will be nice to get back to the gardening soon.
image.jpeg

So went to pickup 1650 lbs of feed for pigs and cows this morning. . . Yesterday hunny said he was going to load up some pallets so I could take back, but he never got around to it. When he called this morning to let me how much feed they had, I asked if he would like me to load up the rest of the pallets to take with me. His response was 'no I don't want you to hurt yourself'. Really?? Gosh I so love this man, BUT REALLY??:rolleyes: I unload the feed and stack up each 50 lb bag, but he doesn't think I can pick up a few pallets? Honestly, he would much rather me not unload the truck, but with the chances of rain we have. . . and besides, my hunny works hard all day at work, sometimes 16 hrs. I try to do as much as I can here by myself cause I don't think he should have to work any harder than he already does.

So went to pickup 1650 lbs of feed for pigs and cows this morning. . . Yesterday hunny said he was going to load up some pallets so I could take back, but he never got around to it. When he called this morning to let me how much feed they had, I asked if he would like me to load up the rest of the pallets to take with me. His response was 'no I don't want you to hurt yourself'. Really?? Gosh I so love this man, BUT REALLY??:rolleyes: I unload the feed and stack up each 50 lb bag, but he doesn't think I can pick up a few pallets? Honestly, he would much rather me not unload the truck, but with the chances of rain we have. . . and besides, my hunny works hard all day at work, sometimes 16 hrs. I try to do as much as I can here by myself cause I don't think he should have to work any harder than he already does.
You might just be the perfect wife! Seriously, your hubby is a lucky guy. You make about the 4th woman I've ever met that thinks prepping is common sense and isn't afraid of hard work.

You might just be the perfect wife! Seriously, your hubby is a lucky guy. You make about the 4th woman I've ever met that thinks prepping is common sense and isn't afraid of hard work.
That would make my wife number 5 then. She doesn't like the heavy work (that's what I'm for) but she is 100% behind prepping and being self-sufficient and independence.

The house is coming along nicely, despite all the rain. We are having a down pour right now so glad I went this morning. I think one of the greatest rewards in life is to be as self-sufficient as possible! Fashion and whatever other materialistic items people 'think they just have to have' comes and goes but skills and knowledge from our way of life will be something we will always have around and benefit from. Life is easier when you have a team effort.

I decided to put the shop construction on hold. It was a hard choice but we're quickly running out of summer here and I have too many other projects going on. Im still going to run water up to the house site and barn and install the septic and rock the road. I also need to start building the chicken coop and the corals for the cattle coming up next spring. Once I have the floor down for the coop I can work on it through the winter if necessary. All that's left to finish on the pump house is the roofing, insulation and adding a wall mount propane heater. Next week I'm going to start looking for a 26-28' travel trailer to live in for the winter.

This is the newest addition to our little farm. . . . born on Thursday last week
P8220445.JPG

P8220442.JPG

At first I thought this little one was another bull calf, so the first couple days called him George cause I just didn't have a name picked out. Then on Saturday, I was out there and saw a tinkle and to my surprise it is a girl. . . Yep, I felt like a complete idiot!!! I have been waiting three for a little heifer calf since her momma is getting up in her years now. You can see Betsey in the background here and see how her udders look. . . that's about a 5 gallons a day milk makin machine!!

Latest posts

Back