The Many Ways To Start A Fire

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been a while and its nice to be back on the forum if even only for a few while trying to get to sleep with the pain etc. Here's a good one I use, take an egg crate, cut the top off fill the bottom with a little dryer lint and us an old or cheap candle and pour the melted wax over the lint. Allow to dry cut into 12 separate pieces and You have 12 fire starters. Works great.

It's been a while and its nice to be back on the forum if even only for a few while trying to get to sleep with the pain etc. Here's a good one I use, take an egg crate, cut the top off fill the bottom with a little dryer lint and us an old or cheap candle and pour the melted wax over the lint. Allow to dry cut into 12 separate pieces and You have 12 fire starters. Works great.

It's great to know all these tips thanks all! I think a trustworthy fire-stick is great for a survival or bug out bag, as carrying other means might take up too much room or add weight. In the even of an on-foot-bug-out, I'd rather just pay the 10 bucks for a starter to have, leave room for ammo and water!

It's great to know all these tips thanks all! I think a trustworthy fire-stick is great for a survival or bug out bag, as carrying other means might take up too much room or add weight. In the even of an on-foot-bug-out, I'd rather just pay the 10 bucks for a starter to have, leave room for ammo and water!

What is a fire stick ? Like a blast match ? I gotta know.

It more like an accelerant ,
GS74403.jpg

It more like an accelerant ,
GS74403.jpg
Hmmm...I like those. I'll have to check the local Gander...EONS ago when I was a girlscout (yes, I can still remember some things from way back then) we made nuggets for fire starting...they were egg carton sections filled with sawdust and filled/coated/dipped in wax. We also coated stick matches with wax and stored in a tin with a little sandpaper.

One of the best fire starters in our area (northern states) is the bark off a white birch tree. It has a natural oil that burns even when damp. When in the woods I look for a down tree and pull the bark off from it and tear it into small pieces. Even a rotting down tree that has bark on it will burn well. I like to do this so I'm not damaging a live tree. Its easy to do a lot of damage to a birch tree by pulling off the bark. If bark is taken from a live tree take small pieces from different area. Mature tree the bark starts to dry and peel up. Cut off the dried bark and it doesn't damage the tree and its the best for fire starter. I rarely take fire starter when taking long canoe trips. I just look for down birch trees and grab a few pieces for my pack.

- In relation to start fire with a magnifying glass, by the same principle it is also possible to start fire with water and a clear plastic bag. Add water to the bag and twist the top, closing it off, position the bag in the sun, directing sunlight in a point of focus. This point should be on top of a tinder bundle, to begin a fire. This mimics the use of a magnifying glass. And depending on the type, this can also be achieved with a clear water bottle. NOTE: Depending on the clarity, this works with urine too!

- And in relation to starting fire with a battery, any battery will shoot sparks if the positive and negative terminals of the battery connect. For optimal use it is reccomended you use a 9v or above battery rubbing against steel wool. The steel wool will catch on fire, with the assistance of blown air acting as the perfect bundle of tinder. If steel wool isn't available, wore can be stripped from earphones, or within the cases of most electronics. In this case connect the wires to either end of the battery and touch the tips together. NOTE: For this method use clothing or gloves to handle the wires when attached to the battery, to insulate the wire, preventing yourself getting shocked. Do this method with caution.

- To waterproof a match, dip the tip into wax

- The bottom of an aluminium can, can be polished and start a fire with the reflection of the sun. This uses the parabolic jape of the bottom to focus sunlight. The same parabolic principle will allow you to start a fire with the reflector at the front of a torch, downlight or car light.

Hope these methods have interested somebody :)

Here's something nobody mentioned yet:
images

Yes, a bic lighter to start a fire. I was getting things together for a BugOut bag and I was collecting fire starting things... and when I was putting some of these things together .. it hit me... why not just get a bic? They are cheap yet very functional... when the butane runs out, the built in steel and flint throws out some nice sparks. It can also be used to open ... you guessed it ...
original.jpg

BEER!!

or how about this??

and even

I even saw a hack where you can cut off the bottom and hid stuff in it.

And even Obama found a use for it....

images

and even....
jon-mcnaughton.jpg

Great modifications!
TIP: You can pull apart the threads of guerrilla tape into small strips which when put together, make a perfect bundle of tinder. Just one of many uses for the tape :)

Ladies and Gents, I think I just stumbled on something bordering genius ..

Latest posts

Back