The Many Ways To Start A Fire

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK this is actually a pretty important subject because if you find yourself caught out without gear and equipment being able to have a fire is a real big plus. I would have to put the ability to have a fire above almost everything else. Even things like weapons, shelter etc. etc.

Here are a couple of tips: First of all one of the world's greatest fire starters is in fact in great abundance on our nation's highways and byways. it is theubiquitous Styrofoam ice chest I promise you, you are never more than 100 yards from the pieces of a Styrofoam ice chest. This material will start very easily and will in turn start virtually anything else afire .

Tip #2 The inside of dead limbs and branches are always dry. This is why one of the best tools you can have with you is a good framing hammer. Or for this purpose, the back side of a good hatchet to crush said limbs or branches allowing you to get the dry material from inside them. You can also smash them between rocks if that's all you have. This is an ideal alternative if you are caught out in the rain even if it's been raining like Noah's flood for two weeks this is still a viable source for flammable kindling. then all you need is enough shelter from the rain to get your fire started.

Actually this has turned into an amazing journey of discovery you really need to go to Youtube and look up "making fire":):):)

Dryer lint, either plain or coated with petroleum jelly. All it takes is a small spark, even an empty lighter will set it off. Or, one of the manufactured fire starting flints will do a great job.

Dryer lint, either plain or coated with petroleum jelly. All it takes is a small spark, even an empty lighter will set it off. Or, one of the manufactured fire starting flints will do a great job.
YA it rocks, I carry it

I haven't messed with any petro jelly and cotton but I need to. I really need to spend time working with things I can find to make fire. It's a skill um lacking

I haven't messed with any petro jelly and cotton but I need to. I really need to spend time working with things I can find to make fire. It's a skill um lacking
Ya it works really well, just some sparks will kick it off. So far for me the cotton balls and dryer lint is my go to.

unscrew the light housing from a flashlight, flip the switch on , and place 00 steel wool between the contact and the top of the battery.... old boy scout trick

Potassium Permanganate (PP) and Magnesium Permanganate (MP) are similar chemical compounds and are oxidizing agents. Try them with brake fluid - have some PP or MP powder/crystals on a surface and add small amount of brake fluid (it will smoke just prior to lighting up). Besides the arching of a car battery or cigarette lighter in a car, there will be some brake fluid in the cylinder.
The bonus of having PP or MP is that they can be used for water purifying and disinfectant. All survival tools should have more than one purpose to be in your kit. Also, an equal portion of sugar (sugar coated tablet will suffice) with PP or MP when ground together with a flat knife blade will also light up. Just make sure the PP/MP/sugar is dry and place on a dry surface. This is fairly safe - I have never seen anyone catch on fire using these methods and it should pass any Risk Management Plan.
Yo

The car's cigarette lighter? With a paper towel or toilet tissue works great. Sometimes you have to hold it in a little longer to get it really hot.

I heard that Stanford university is no longer using lab rats for experiments.they are using lawyers for two reasons.....one ....the scientist don't get emotionally attached to the lawyers and two....there were some things you just couldn't persuade the rats to do.

I miss the good old days where people took responsibility for their own actions

My 9yr old is in scouts, and he took some flints we bought of ebay this past week - and they worked ok on a firelighting exercise. Just need some dry kindling to work!!

Potasium purmanganate is readily available on e-bay, cheap, and Glycerin is available at Walmart, cheap, or use antifreeze. This will create an instant chemical fire. Even on damp kindling.

• Steel wool (great for starting fire with a 9v battery)
I've seen this mentioned a number of times...how do you start a fire with steel wool and a 9v battery...don't want to try it until I have some idea what I'm getting myself into :eek:

• Steel wool (great for starting fire with a 9v battery)
I've seen this mentioned a number of times...how do you start a fire with steel wool and a 9v battery...don't want to try it until I have some idea what I'm getting myself into :eek:

Latest posts

Back