the holidays

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the way, if anyone here ever goes to IOA (Islands of Adventure) and/or Universal Studios, Orlando...please let me know, and I'll be happy to tell you secrets, such as taking "The Immigration Tour" on the Men In Black ride, or doing "The Vault Tour" at Gringotts, or the "secret entrance" to Universal, etc.

Wife thought the kitchen a little dark, so the women folks stripped and sanded the cabinets, had the crown made for the top of the cabinets, 5 coats of shellac white paint, for the first 3 coats they buffed it with 000 steel wool, they started this project a month ago, I protested but since I retired apparently I lost my authority but I got to admit, the girls were right and me wrong.

Old look
View attachment 8073
Gorgeous

Woke up this morning finding the girls not only practically finished the kitchen except for a few things but also totally finished the major remodeling of the guest bathroom, after seeing the bathroom I can see why the wife limited my allowances.

kitchena.jpg

Woke up this morning finding the girls not only practically finished the kitchen except for a few things but also totally finished the major remodeling of the guest bathroom, after seeing the bathroom I can see why the wife limited my allowances.

View attachment 8086
Definitely a huge improvement over the dark wood before! I can’t believe you were smart enough to get them to do the work! Next time I need a fence whitewashed I will take lessons from you.....

View attachment 8086
That really is nice looking. I normally like the natural wood grains, but have thought about painting my cabinets since that area of the house is dark. We have black countertops and would love to update. Hunny on the other hand. . . Your girls did a beautiful job. Love the molding on the cabinets. That's also something I would like to do. There will be lots of happy memories made in that room. :)

View attachment 8086
Maverick, did you post a pic of the bathroom? I missed it. My kitchen cabinets are cherry (to the Ceiling) so that the won' catch so much dust, but my baths are white thermabake. The do get dirty easily, but we are a nasty bunch. I love your white, but that would last about one week with my crew. Cats, dogs and my husband who never cleans anything.

Robin I think that is why I am so reluctant to paint mine! My front and back door are painted white and I am constantly having to clean them due to the dogs rubbing on them. ;)
When I was painting trim for the wedding, it was a constant battle with the dogs rubbing against the white doors. I went against convention and used gloss paint because it tougher and easier to clean. Martha Stewart would die if she saw it.

View attachment 8086
Wait you dont have to do all the work and you get an allowance?
It looks great, they should start a buisiness and you can completely retire to just hunting and fishing. :)

When I was painting trim for the wedding, it was a constant battle with the dogs rubbing against the white doors. I went against convention and used gloss paint because it tougher and easier to clean. Martha Stewart would die if she saw it.
We had some white high gloss paint left over from when we did the rv roof. It was some sort of sealant to stop water leaks but I can't remember the name right now. I ended up using the leftover to paint the spare bedroom closet doors and window sill. It wipes clean so easily! Had I only known I would have used it on the doors.

We had some white high gloss paint left over from when we did the rv roof. It was some sort of sealant to stop water leaks but I can't remember the name right now. I ended up using the leftover to paint the spare bedroom closet doors and window sill. It wipes clean so easily! Had I only known I would have used it on the doors.
It's does clean easily.

You mean you’re supposed to clean things like doors? :confused: The more ill my wife got, the lower my standards got as well for things being clean. Seriously, keep the place picked up and the important stuff clean, but don’t care to go looking for dirt....
To be honest, I only work inside when it rains or is really cold. I just had a lot to do for the wedding. It was here at our house

I just hate the color of the wood cabinets in my kitchen, it's a light wood, but really doesn't go with the rest of the kitchen (walls or floor). We have stainless appliances, so I think I'd want to go with a gloss black for the cabinets, and a black granite or marble countertop at some point, and a splashback and stainless looking magnetic strip for knives. We'd likely add some moulding elements to the cabinets to jazz 'em up some, and of course, new fixtures. That should be in the much more affordable realm, vs. a complete kitchen redo. (I'd have to redo the pantry too, as those doors are the same color wood).

Latest posts

Back