Nuclear War & Survival Help

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been doing this a while now; as in all of my adult life, so am pretty well set for me and mine. Once that was set, I began formulating a plan regarding charity and/or taking some additional people into our group.

Scenario: You go to the nearest town to trade and you encounter a surgeon and his family who are refugees. Things are not crazy yet (as in the golden horde from the cities haven't hit you yet) but, you get to talking to the guy and he is legit. He spent time in the military and can handle a weapon. You share common values and he seems like he and his wife would be a good add to the group. What do you do?

Scenario: There is an elderly couple that lives in your area. He is a retired farmer but, his wife had a stroke ten years before that left her largely incapacitated. He has a heart condition and arthritis that has kept him from doing a whole lot of farming the last few years he has spent most of his time caring for his wife. They didn't have a lot of money to do much prepping. This past summer their well stopped working and their small garden died off. Now they are running short on food.

War gaming these kind of what ifs and then discussing them amongst yourselves is important.

Yes, and there are a set of "preppers" whose main prepping plans include gathering enough guns, ammo and create a group to take things from other people!
They are raiders and they will be out there when TSHTF.

Let 'em come if they dare..:)

shtf-vehs.jpg

Lots of juicy targets out there, right Johnny?

Let 'em come if they dare..:)

View attachment 18137

Lots of juicy targets out there, right Johnny?

LOL. I'm not Rambo or anything close to it, though I do know a couple of them ;). Our first defense will be to lay as low as possible and not borrow trouble unless it borrows us first. Then there are pre-planned options beyond that.

Keeping our humanity and our values will be a challenge unless we think through things ahead of time. Once we lose those things, we become no better than those "bad guys".

Like I said, I have been at this for a while. For me, it isn't just about surviving anymore (that is an obvious pre-requisite for the next part), it is about coming out on the other side of it to rebuild society...and better yet, have my grandchildren come out of it on the other side with the skills and wisdom to do a better job than we have done.

Last edited:
There are a few of us who could brave the wild and have done it; complainers need not apply.

As for nuke preps. Potassium Iodide is just the start. Radiation poisoning happens because the radiation can piggy-back on certain vitamins/minerals/elements and thus, get absorbed into the body. By making sure your nutritional gas tank is full up so to speak, you can minimize the effect. It is the concept behind taking KI.

I would have to go back and look at my notes as to which does what but, we keep on hand N-acetyl, L-Tyrosine, melatonin, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Calcium, amongst others.

Regarding the Mississippi, firmly planted on the west side as recommended by JWR.

Extra supply of diesel stored, Four runners, Dirt bikes, UTV and horses also an option.

One location for if the prevailing winds are from the North, east or west, another safe location if the winds are from due N, E, W or S. Most (NE, SW, NW, SE) probably good on the second from any direction really due to remoteness. Could be in a "safe zone" within 15 to travel between and not have to cross through a hot zone. Bug out bag, animals, and go. Supplies enough at both locations.
Dont forget KI tablets!!!

LOL. I'm not Rambo or anything close to it, though I do know a couple of them ;). Our first defense will be to lay as low as possible and not borrow trouble unless it borrows us first. Then there are pre-planned options beyond that.
Rambo, Smambo.
Opposite of gray man.
I'll be much more like this than like Rambo:
BarrieSniper9.jpg

I have already done a test run when my area saw an invasion of panicked out of state people descend into my area , when covid 19 first came into the United States . I slept outside " armed " guarding my milk goats and giving me the advantage of being where the enemy would not expect me to be , such as in a comfortable bed . On one high danger night Me , my grandson and a on duty deputy sheriff were spread out waiting in the darkness for a marauder . We learned from that experience and have since fortified our defenses even stronger .

Maybe China and Russia can split Ukraine.
NOBODY WANTS UKRAINE ANY MORE...it is just a bombed out shell of what it used to be, millions of refugees not wanting to go back to NOTHING LEFT, the rich will return to celebrate WINNING after only living in Switzerland for a while or Monaco, the minefields will take a hundred years to clean up, the tens of thousands of lonely women have to rebuild what the stupid men screwed up and bombed out, the children will a be shell-shocked for years to come and the millenials will just go back into their cellars to PLAY WAR GAMES on their computers again.....leaving the old and older again to fend for themselves on their own little piece of land to be able to eat enough again....like a hundred years ago...

Do you guys think there is a market for above ground fallout shelters here in the US, using poured cement as barrier? Our adds are targeting Europe, maybe poor word choice, but wasn't sure about spending the advertising dollars here with Google adds being so much more costly. Would love any feedback on this.
Thanks
B

I could be wrong but would think , below ground fallout shelters would outsell above ground by a huge margin in the U.S. . A problem being though the U.S. economy is collapsing Venezuela style , with runaway inflation . Many people are not getting their income to match the new inflated prices . That means less money for a fallout shelter .

Do you guys think there is a market for above ground fallout shelters here in the US, using poured cement as barrier?..

Anything above ground would be prone to get zapped by the blast depending how far away it is, but this baby looks pretty solid, but if it was mine I'd buy a load more bricks to form angled steps around the walls and door like the egyptian pyramids to deflect the blast up and over..:)

shtf-above-ground shelter.jpg

Do you guys think there is a market for above ground fallout shelters here in the US, using poured cement as barrier? Our adds are targeting Europe, maybe poor word choice, but wasn't sure about spending the advertising dollars here with Google adds being so much more costly. Would love any feedback on this.
Thanks
B

Just my two cents. I see you are in Texas. In the hill country (and west), where you routinely cannot dig more than 8" deep before hitting a slab of the hardest limestone you have ever encountered and then after getting through that, hitting another 1" down and another; yes, it probably would be a great option for a lot of people, though there, any tornados you might get are usually f1/2 (thinking additional use marketing). If you have enough property though, you can simply put one on the hillside and cover it with dirt to blend in.

In southern and far east Texas (east of I-35, far east, on the other side of a line from Tyler down to College Station) where digging is sand/clay and fairly easy and tornados are the variety that can wipe your existence off the map, I would say that underground would be the preference.

1) far more hidden so less advertising to the neighborhood
2) a lot more DIY-ers
3) fewer people can afford an expensive shelter

Last edited:
Look on the bright side mate, maybe two of them are not men but women with short hair and you can let them take turns to share your bunk..:)

View attachment 18142
There are two bunks. Also two chairs. In this scenario the system would be 1-2 people awake at any time, and 1-2 asleep at any one time.

So, why all 3 awake?

I expect that's because an unanticipated ground zero has just appeared about 15 miles from their bunker. The bunker has been constructed with a mere 1ft of concrete and situated less than 5 feet under ground level.

They are all awake to try and put their heads together about this imminent problem.

In about 5 seconds they and the bunker will be pulverised to fine ashes.

There are two bunks. Also two chairs. In this scenario the system would be 1-2 people awake at any time, and 1-2 asleep at any one time.

So, why all 3 awake?

I expect that's because an unanticipated ground zero has just appeared about 15 miles from their bunker. The bunker has been constructed with a mere 1ft of concrete and situated less than 5 feet under ground level.

They are all awake to try and put their heads together about this imminent problem.

In about 5 seconds they and the bunker will be pulverised to fine ashes.

It looks like they have more than 4' of earth above if that is 1' thick concrete. They are probably good. Maybe they are located in the minimal zone and are using the ham to talk to family? LOL.

What is more concerning is they seem to have only one egress.

Maybe they are located in the minimal zone and are using the ham to talk to family? LOL.
I think they had planned to be in some kind of minimal zone. But look at how close that mushroom cloud is. O dear, O dear.

Also, what little chance of survival they had has been destroyed by forgetting to close the door to the entrance to the drift tunnel. As the blinding white fireball flows over them it will suck their toes through their tonsils...

Back