New Member from Arkansas

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justasiam1968

Reaction score
I started prepping about four years ago. I just had a "feeling" that I needed to (and with the events on the news the last couple of years, I believe it was the good Lord). At the time, I was concerned with how many people at work were having to go get new debit cards because their information "may" have been hacked. It got me to thinking that, if someone was smart enough to do that, there is someone out there that is smart enough to crash the entire banking system...at least for a short period. I hesitantly mentioned to Hubby that I thought we might should start storing food for emergency. Thankfully, he was on board. In fact, he said he's thought about it for years but just never got around to doing it. And, as the saying goes, the rest is history.

I started buying canned veggies and soups. Things we normally eat. Then, thanks to websites like this one, blogs, Pinterest and books, I realized I need to be thinking a little more long term. With this, came the purchase of mylar bags, oxygen absorbers and a few five gallon buckets. I now have enough food to last me, Hubby and Daughter for, I believe, a year. Unfortunately, my other family members, including adult kids, parents, brother and sister-in-law, haven't really jumped on board yet. Some of them admit "something" could happen but not enough to start preparing for it. It would be VERY hard to not help them if something happens so I am now trying to store some of the basics for them. On a more encouraging note, I had two people this week ask me how I store my rice and beans so maybe I'm rubbing off on someone (I know a true prepper doesn't tell anyone that they prep but I just felt like the good Lord led me to start this journey and to try to convince others closest to me to do the same).

My plan is to "bug in" during an event. We have access to two ponds and a well so I'm not too concerned for water. We live in a rural part of Central Arkansas but pretty close to the main highway. Definitely NOT secluded. Luckily, Hubby LOVES guns and my brother has a gun store so I think we can defend ourselves, at least, short term. We have chickens and have dabbled with goats and rabbits. We've planted fruit trees and Hubby, Mom & Dad are pretty good at gardening. Someday, I'm hoping we can get a few solar panels but, for now, I will continue with food storage and LEARNING. I am looking forward to being a member of this group and gaining all the wisdom I can from all of you!

Howdy from a Texan .... and welcome to the forum and family...there's quite a few knowledgeable folks here that'll gladly tell ya what you need to know,or at least point ya in the right direction and/or give ya a good idea or 2..and by all means jump right oninwithany replies you have on a topic.

Welcome from Fin,hey it's like insurance,we have it but hope never need to use it.

I grew up in Fla, so with the common hurricanes prepping just made sense. We didn’t even call it prepping, just being ready to weather the storms. I’m glad you are having some interest from family members and do believe that encouraging others to prep is wise. That being said, not advertising that you have lots of food stored is probably wise as well. As with most things in life, there is a fine line to be walked sometimes..

Latest posts

Back