Lord help us...we are so screwed...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried eating some paper while in school, even with a bit of salt, I could not get it down...
In all seriousness, I watched the paper money in Serbia and Croatia change weekly as the Serbs (from one day to the next) dropped a zero or two from their paper bills and you just got what you got...
Look at this picture, the bottom bill is from 1989, the middle one is from 1990 and the top one is from 1993:
IMG_0001.JPG

it makes for very expensive TP...

Last edited:
Buy material things: clothes, tents, sleeping bags, shoes, gloves, food, fuel, batteries, tools, bartering materials, building materials, nuts, bolts, screws, nails and anything you will not get post SHTF time-frames, or just to be able to re-build after a tornado, hurricane or just help the neighbor finish his garage...anticipate ANYTHING; AT ANYTIME... and you are truly PREPPED, live free, Gary

Keep in mind when purchasing clothing in a long term SHTF situation or collapse of the economy you will almost certainly be thinner than you are currently. Even those of us who are at our ”proper BMI range”. Days will be filled with gardening, :m4:patrolling, and a lot of other manual labor just to eat, have clean water and survive threats. So buy true outdoor “work” clothes. Lots of socks too.🧦

Those with children, 👱‍♀️👧👶 or grandchildren need to plan ahead and purchase larger clothing for those growing kids. Larger shoes are essential.

Last edited:
I think a lot of trading will be going on after SHTF. Its easy to grow or raise more food than a family can eat. I think a lot of the surplus will be traded. Many of us already do trade. A 100×100 foot garden will produce far more food than a family can consume, even with canning. Even a few acres will raise more beef than a single family can consume. A dozen or so layers will provide more eggs than a family can eat. It doesn’t take much space to raise 25 - 100 meat birds either. Of course if the power goes out for good all this food needs to be preserved or traded fresh.
As inflation continues going up I think more people will start raising their own food and trading the surplus.

I will building a chicken pen and outside area with and for the widow two doors down. We are doing the building and buying, she and her kids will be doing the caretaking, feeding and watering. We will get meat and eggs in exchange for financing the whole scheme and she will finally have something to do each day instead of waiting for her grandchild to come home from school and twiddleing her thumbs and getting old and bored. We are gonna get a container for cleaning their garden from old trash and give them a bit of self-respect back and they will be helping us in our garden with the daily weeding and watering if and when we get on the road to visit family and friends for a few days and be away...good trade in my book, Gary

here's my cupboard..:cool:

fridge-nov-2020.jpg

that called a fridge! mini cheddars and KP? really! gone a bit mad on the kleenex or is that instead of TP? I buy my TP in packs of 24.
where's your meat or are you living out of tins?

Tins is the way to go..:)
Tinned food including tinned meat will last several years, but a lump of meat will go off in less than a week..:)

if the economy crashes I dont think money will matter, it wont buy you anything..

Right, we can't eat money as this poor dumb slob found out in 'Survivors 1975' when he starved to death, he should have spent it on food when he had the chance before the shelves ran empty..:)

I think a lot of trading will be going on after SHTF. Its easy to grow or raise more food than a family can eat. I think a lot of the surplus will be traded. Many of us already do trade.

Right there with you Arctic! While I don’t currently trade with others, I have sought out folks who have what my group doesn’t. Beef, hogs and milk cows are the critical areas for us.

I would suggest to everyone to make an assessment of what you will require that you don’t have...then search for those who do raise or grow it. Get to know them well before everything falls apart.

While I don’t currently trade with others, I have sought out folks who have what my group doesn’t. Beef, hogs and milk cows are the critical areas for us.

Do they live across the fence, or do you have to use motorized transport to reach them. Do you have a plan in place if you do? We can tend to take things like our cars for granted, I have rarely been without one, but in my younger years when traveling there were periods when I didn't and it wasn't fun, not in rural areas. Our whole civilization revolves around the car and truck, used to be the horse and wagon. F*ck That! No country for old men having to saddle and ride a horse.

We do the same, Georgia Peachie. Just dropped off extra eggs at cousin's house and picked up raw milk.
Most of our town uses horse and buggie. We'll be trading for ground pork and ground beef in Oct/Nov

Question, How is the barter rate determine? Example: How many eggs for beef, vegetables or milk? Never having been in a barter situation, I don't have a clue. I always have traded my labor for cash.

A banking holiday will be on cards soon could be as soon as October 2021 with contagion from Evergrand collapse. One of china’s larges construction companies much bigger issue than the 2008 US housing collapse.

What I have seen is supermarkets stop purchases except for cash. Very few people keep cash. So initial stage of a major financial collapse can get bargains like generators fresh products like meat, fuel, seeds ammunition and security items…. Hording cash might not be so bad. If it is slow grind inflation don’t wait for months and months before looking at purchases.

With current debt levels being propped up by central banks – I think a catastrophic overnight failure is on the cards – wake up one morning and all bank accounts frozen. In 2008 the world was hours away from banking holiday this time the money printers are not going to make any difference.

Question, How is the barter rate determine? Example: How many eggs for beef, vegetables or milk? Never having been in a barter situation, I don't have a clue. I always have traded my labor for cash.
there was always a "black market" in goods during WW2 but we have a different generation and a different attitude now nearly 80 years on from the end of the war.
most people in the UK do not want second hand goods whether that is clothing or household items, so bartering is confined to a smaller section of society not the vast majority.
the whole idea of trading or more correctly speaking bartering in a post collapse UK society will be closely determined by the survival rate of the unprepared masses and that is expected to be quite low, so any such activity will be a non starter, at least this side of the Atlantic.

Do they live across the fence, or do you have to use motorized transport to reach them. Do you have a plan in place if you do? We can tend to take things like our cars for granted, I have rarely been without one, but in my younger years when traveling there were periods when I didn't and it wasn't fun, not in rural areas. Our whole civilization revolves around the car and truck, used to be the horse and wagon. F*ck That! No country for old men having to saddle and ride a horse.

Solid question B&B! These are close neighbors and do not require vehicles to trade with. I too would caution about setting up trade with others who are further than a few miles away, at least in the initial year/s of an economic collapse or SHTF situation.

In our case, it's only family or people I know. Living in a rural area of 800 people, most being amish, and most being related to me, it's not a thing., we know most everyone.
I started with eggs, and would give them to family and neighbors when I had extra. Didn't expect anything right away in return. I could sell at the Friday mkt and they go for $2.50 a dz here, but I don't. So a neighbor down the road gets a couple of dz a month or so, maybe a bit more. He grew a field of sweet corn for the neighborhood. We picked over 100 ears to put up. Another neighbor dumped off a truck load of pallets, and they get eggs now and again. Another one makes extra casseroles and treats now and again. She supplied dinner the other night. I don't expect anything, but we just give each other extras. I also gave away a lot of extra plant starts last spring. I received back flowers, seeds, raw milk. I don't know if it's "even" or not. I don't think I'd ever do this with someone I didn't know. Cousin is going to be processing their honey in a few weeks, and I'll probably be over to help, and last time I was gifted a half gallon.

In our case, it's only family or people I know. Living in a rural area of 800 people, most being amish, and most being related to me, it's not a thing., we know most everyone.
I started with eggs, and would give them to family and neighbors when I had extra. Didn't expect anything right away in return. I could sell at the Friday mkt and they go for $2.50 a dz here, but I don't. So a neighbor down the road gets a couple of dz a month or so, maybe a bit more. He grew a field of sweet corn for the neighborhood. We picked over 100 ears to put up. Another neighbor dumped off a truck load of pallets, and they get eggs now and again. Another one makes extra casseroles and treats now and again. She supplied dinner the other night. I don't expect anything, but we just give each other extras. I also gave away a lot of extra plant starts last spring. I received back flowers, seeds, raw milk. I don't know if it's "even" or not. I don't think I'd ever do this with someone I didn't know. Cousin is going to be processing their honey in a few weeks, and I'll probably be over to help, and last time I was gifted a half gallon.

Luv reading your stories Amish 😍. You are truly Blessed to be living amongst so many who are faithful and strong!

This IS the Great Reset, by the democrats. Prepare for their total control. We WILL have to go down fighting.

A Democratic plan to wipe out independent contractors
A Democratic plan to wipe out independent contractors (msn.com)

Total Control. Can’t have American Citizens choosing who to hire or where to work. Also, the government needs to replace Americans with the 3rd world imports. Isn’t part of ”the plan” to take our homes, autos and lands from us?

Latest posts

Back