jeez

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get yellow jackets nesting in the peak of my barn. The last thing I want to do is get close and piss them off. Instead I climb up in the loft and spray them with wasp killer. They come spilling out by the hundreds.

Those are some nasty buggers.

Those are some nasty buggers.
They get really bad around here in late summer and fall. Very aggressive too, until the first hard freeze. They make it hard to eat outside on a nice day. I keep a lot of wasp traps out that helps some, but the chickens do a better job of controlling them.

They get really bad around here in late summer and fall. Very aggressive too, until the first hard freeze. They make it hard to eat outside on a nice day. I keep a lot of wasp traps out that helps some, but the chickens do a better job of controlling them.

What do the chickens do? Eat them?

What do the chickens do? Eat them?
Yep. They aren't their favorite food, but them silly birds will eat anything that moves. Yellow jackets spend a lot of time flying close to the ground looking for something to eat so they're easy for the chickens to catch. Chickens are the best natural pest control there is, in my opinion.

Yep. They aren't their favorite food, but them silly birds will eat anything that moves. Yellow jackets spend a lot of time flying close to the ground looking for something to eat so they're easy for the chickens to catch. Chickens are the best natural pest control there is, in my opinion.

Hmmm...I wonder if they're immune to their stingers. You would think since they attack humans when provoked that they would also attack them as well. Just a thought.

Hmmm...I wonder if they're immune to their stingers. You would think since they attack humans when provoked that they would also attack them as well. Just a thought.
I've wondered that too. This summer I'd scoop out of the water trough a bunch of yellow jackets and feed them to the hens. They ate them all without showing any discomfort. Maybe they figured out the right way to eat the stinging little pests.

I've wondered that too. This summer I'd scoop out of the water trough a bunch of yellow jackets and feed them to the hens. They ate them all without showing any discomfort. Maybe they figured out the right way to eat the stinging little pests.

Well either way...chickens aren't the sharpest knives in the kitchen but they do taste good. If they take care of your pest problem as well...even better.

I've had more wasps and hornets this year than any other. My son and I have been stung more too. A hornet got my arm pit. Man that was uncomfortable.

Chickens are very good for pest control especially ants/termites, I'll set temporary pen in problem areas mainly around some of my trees and wooden out buildings.

dpjIR2o.jpg

tumblr_static_9tfbg7ecf3ks8k4kg000kk4k4_640_v2.jpg

Now imagine a giant chicken lizard with teeth. Talk about pest control. :eek:

#TyrannosaurusRex

Latest posts

Back