I think Dave Canterbury Might be mistaken a little bit

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Man

Banned
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First place on the planet.

I think Dave Canterbury Might be mistaken, a little bit of one.

In his video linked below, 5 minutes into the video, he shows a traditional native trap trigger, for a dead-fall, killing trap. At 5:30 into the video he talks about how these must have been really good traps, because over 60 were found in a cave.

There is a forked part to the trap where he says the bait is suppose to be. He thinks it's a little strange they did that, I think. The way he talks, kind of indicates that, to me. So I thought about it today, when I watched it0.

Those people were not playing around. It you did not catch anything, you did not eat, fresh meat anyway.

During hard times, even bait might have been hard to come by, or not. But during hard times, other animals who stole the bait, out of the traps, but were too big to be captured, or killed, by the trap, would have been much more than a nuisance. It meant they caught no animal, so no meat to eat. Maybe even some people would starve to dead, because of such things.

So, I think that forked part of the trigger system was not for bait, but a separate trigger to trigger the trap, when a too big of a animal, tried to steal the bait. It would trigger the trap, and drop the flat rock on top of the bait, protecting it (the bait). Teaching that animal at least, not to bother with those traps, and go to the other traps, they had for those animals. Unless it was a bear or something of course.

I think they would have inserted a upside down small, but long"y" branch, in between the sharpened point, and the other part of the trigger. If you were holding that long part of the "y"branch up, and let go, a pry bar like action would take place, triggering the trap. So they would gust add some support twigs to the "y" branch, two probably and one was a "y" stick itself, to put the bait on. Deep inside the trap.

Makes more sense to me, and they were smart. Had to be to survive.

George Collins

Latest posts

Back