I just killed a copperhead in my garden

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grayghost668

A True Doomsday Prepper
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
I went out to check the dogs one last time and decided to walk by the garden and there he was laying out in the middle of it I beat him silly with a shovel,,,,,,I will kill any poisonous snake I find on and around my property ,,,I have had 2 snake bit dogs already this year

both recovered

I went out to check the dogs one last time and decided to walk by the garden and there he was laying out in the middle of it I beat him silly with a shovel,,,,,,I will kill any poisonous snake I find on and around my property ,,,I have had 2 snake bit dogs already this year
lol.
both recovered
Dogs are really tough and usually recover on their own. I only wish people were nearly as strong. I like snakes and usually leave them alone, but when I had little kids around I would usually kill any posinous ones as well.

We have timber rattlers (locals call it that) though in reality it's a hopi rattlesnake just east of us, my horses have been bit but not the dogs, I've been bit twice both times in the hand. I do carry benadryl for us humans and dogs, the hopi rattlesnake almost the same as the western rattler but it's venom tends to be a little more toxic, it's bite contains both hemotoxine and neurotoxic so you're getting hit with both toxins, a very very painful bite. Fortunately, like the copperhead it's first bite is generally a warning thus carries no toxins, the only antivenom is a commercial antivenom from crofab given they can't milk the snake for antivenom because of the complexity of the snakes venom.

Reserve food that taste good ;)

For those that never cooked it (cut 2" behind head, removes venom sack)
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup of coconut oil
2 pounds rattlesnakes (4 snakes roughly)
salt, pepper and lemon your discretion

Salt and pepper snake roll in corn meal then pan fry in oil until brown on both sides kinda like sausage links then serve it with sweet mesquite BBQ sauce and/or beaver tartar sauce (oregon tarter sauce)

Dogs are really tough and usually recover on their own. I only wish people were nearly as strong. I like snakes and usually leave them alone, but when I had little kids around I would usually kill any posinous ones as well.

my simple snake rules,,,,,if it is poisonous I kill it,if I know what it is and it is not I let them go,and when I can't ID one it's dead,,,,,this applies to my property, when in the field hunting I figure they have as much right to be there as I do

My half yellow lab half husky named Blue, because of his eye's has killed 3 snakes so far this year, a cotton mouth, pygmy rattler and a copper head. He hunts them. He has sniffed out another under our storage shed, but has yet to get it.

I had one on my deck last year and I took a pic and went to get a weapon. When I got back it was gone. I posted the picture and everyone said it was a copperhead, but then a professor thanked me for not killin g it because it was a milk snake. To me, any snake should be a dead snake. Hate them

I like snakes, and don't mind having venomous ones on my property.

Rats are far, far deadlier than any snake (rats spread horrible diseases), and rats--being the survival experts that they are--will vacate an area where there are snakes.

Copperheads are pit vipers, but they aren't deadly. The antivenom is actually more dangerous than a copperhead bite itself due to allergic reactions.

A copperhead bite should be medically evaluated of course...but it is unlikely to debilitate or kill anyone unless the are very elderly, very young, and/or have some underlying medical condition like heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, severe anemia, etc.

Even under these circumstances, a copperhead is unlikely to kill anyone.

As an aside, snake venom has been the model for valuable medicines like Byetta for atrial fibrillation...and copperhead venom may be used to cure cancer in the near future. Just look up a substance called contortostatin.

It comes from copperhead venom, and it prevents cancer cells from spreading.

Latest posts

Back