Gigantic Explosion And Shockwave Rip Through Beirut's Port (Updated)

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lebanon's Prime Minister Hassan Diab has now said that 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate, which was confiscated six years ago and had been left in an unsecured warehouse ever since was responsible for the secondary explosion that has caused untold destruction. He has vowed to punish whoever is responsible for creating this situation, which was clearly a massive accident waiting to happen.

what's the difference between that fertilizer and anfo?
ANFO is Ammonium Nitrate+Fuel Oil
Ammonium nitrate creates an excess of oxygen when it detonates, so adding fuel oil increases the yield by using that excess oxygen. Less free oxygen means less NOx gas is produced (the red smoke) My boss blew up a beaver dam with a 5 gallon bucket of ammonium nitrate soaked in diesel with a stick of dynamite as the detonator. He said he was 100 yards away behind a tree and logs were flying past his head. Scared him to death.

Fuel oil + 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate would have probably leveled half the city.

thought so,but to store that stuff like that,that's a JFC level of stupidity...

It's actually very difficult to get pure ammonium nitrate to explode. If you piled it up and threw a match on it, the match would flame up a bit as the heat from the match decomposed some of the ammonium nitrate, and then it would probably just burn out. But if there is a big fire like there was at the docks, it can lead to conditions favorable for a detonation. Or if there is a detonator.

In the Oppau explosion in Germany, silos containing 4,500 tonnes of a mixture of 50% ammonium sulfate and 50% ammonium nitrate had gotten too humid and got compacted. To loosen up the fertilizer they used small charges of dynamite. Believe it or not, up until that time, that was standard practice and had been performed something like 20,000 times without incident. It was believed that less than 60% ammonium nitrate could not be detonated. But on Sept 21, 1921, it did detonate.

Let me point at the elephant in the room.

Beirut. Lebanon. Muslims. Terrorists. Karma.

Couldn't happen to a more deserving group of wackos. They created their own 9-11. I have no problem with that. Maybe we can start a fund to send similar piles of chemicals to every major muslim city. It could be the world-wide version of 'muslim lives splatter'.

It's now been said. Let out the breath you're holding back. Not pretty, but it's how things are.

thought so,but to store that stuff like that,that's a JFC level of stupidity...

Over here in the UK wew used to have an Amonium Nitrate plant on Teesside in the middle of the town owned by ICI, and there was often 10,000 tons on site less than a mile from houses.

Let me point at the elephant in the room.

Beirut. Lebanon. Muslims. Terrorists. Karma.

Couldn't happen to a more deserving group of wackos. They created their own 9-11. I have no problem with that. Maybe we can start a fund to send similar piles of chemicals to every major muslim city. It could be the world-wide version of 'muslim lives splatter'.

It's now been said. Let out the breath you're holding back. Not pretty, but it's how things are.

Half of Lebanon is Christian, you are one really sick mo fo wishing that on innocent people. I hope Karma reaches you.

There have been many Americans who have lost loved ones from the evil actions of mooslims. How many thousand attacks have mooslims carried out? How many innocent people have they targeted and killed? Pain and hurt from losing a loved one is hard for me to judge...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back