Get home bag

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would recommend something in a high carbon steel ! even if its just an old hickory butcher knife ! it will last for you! ive been batoning wood with mine a couple years and it spent its first 20 years in a kitchen butchering meat so its held up well over the years. My main knife i actually had made by a buddy in Idaho its in an O1 tool steel / 10.5 inch overall length / 3/16 blade thickness / walnut scales / full flat grind with a clip point / 5.25 inch blade length. Custom leather sheath with a ferro rod loop.
I also like the USMC K-bar with the black/synthetic sheath. K-bars are also priced very reasonable and they are a great all around knife in my opinion.

I also like the USMC K-bar with the black/synthetic sheath. K-bars are also priced very reasonable and they are a great all around knife in my opinion.
The only problem I have with the usmc KABAR is the rat tail tang. I've found it to be sub par. Make sure you get a full tang that is sturdy in a high carbon steel. Just make sure you keep it well oiled and maintenanced.

The only problem I have with the usmc KABAR is the rat tail tang. I've found it to be sub par. Make sure you get a full tang that is sturdy in a high carbon steel. Just make sure you keep it well oiled and maintenanced.
Yeap. Just like in the Marines. Always carry CLP. And I agree with your comments

Cold Steel OSS or GI Tanto or the KA BAR .
But as to the original post , in my opinion you are leaving the get home bag boundries and getting close to a bug out bag .
Get home bag stay simple . Mid to small back pack or shoulder bag with matches and lighter take a fire starter if you want but it will be something to keep up with or lose , 32 oz bottle water with canteen and stainless canteen cup for boiling water . 1 MRE or similar with a few nonperishable snacks at the most ration and make it last for predicted travel time . Bievy tent or tarp with sleeping bag or blaket . A good field knife like mentioned above . A change of out door clothing that depends on the time of year that you will change into and not carry . A good and broke in pare of boots that you will change into and not carry for protection from trail hazards . A small basic first aid kit think it out and add a few exra items . Fire arm of choice that should be stored on person or in car and not left in your bag for many reasons . A few extras that are optional like a painters drop cloth or sheet of plastic for extra water proofing shelter , note pad and pen for keeping a journal , entertainment and working out plans .
The main thing about GHB,s is do not let the good idea fairy load you down with stuff that you may end up throwing away .

My GHB is also a borderline BOB. But yeah, if it can't fit in the pack, or makes it too heavy, I don't include it.

Mine is just a regular backpack, not military, and doesn't scream "I'm a prepper".

Tip if using these, I use the two drink holders on the side of the pack, to hold my metal water bottles. To keep them in the pockets, a simple carabiner works great, and hasn't failed me yet. (frees up room inside the pack for other things).

Latest posts

Back