Current list of items for my b.o.b. - Thoughts?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good backpack, billy pot, good knife, multiple means for fire making, good base plate compass (not military), seasonal dependent clothing/shoes, cordage (bank line or para-cord) and tarp should be the foundation to any BOB. Knowledge in foraging for the specific area is a must.

Trying to pack items that made my Wife comfortable such as packable solar panels, charger and batteries along with extra gear took it's toll on me traveling on uneven grounds off any trails (it's an age thing) everything in the BOB needs to be packed in and tested for two to three days, go off trail on uneven grounds, this will test your loads weight distribution and endurance with what you are carrying, it took me two trips in to get it comfortable and forced me to remove over burden items. (required a lot of renegotiation's with the Wife)

some games for your kids? to keep them thinking of nicer things.
food for the 1year old??
go through that first aid kit with thought,some things may be pure crap,you might consider replacing items.

For sure, I got the wife a 5.11 Rush 72 but I think it's too big for her now that I have it. Since she'll be carrying food/clothes/baby mainly I don't wan't a huge pack for her, even though she says it's fine - she hasn't hiked with it full yet heheh. Maybe the dragon egg or rush 24....

Quite right about the medical bag weeding out! Luckly Mom was a RN so I learned a thing or two about first aid. :) as for games, I'll probably work on a pi rassberry that plays ROM's for long battery life, but good thinking since my boys a 8 & 1

A good backpack, billy pot, good knife, multiple means for fire making, good base plate compass (not military), seasonal dependent clothing/shoes, cordage (bank line or para-cord) and tarp should be the foundation to any BOB. Knowledge in foraging for the specific area is a must.

Trying to pack items that made my Wife comfortable such as packable solar panels, charger and batteries along with extra gear took it's toll on me traveling on uneven grounds off any trails (it's an age thing) everything in the BOB needs to be packed in and tested for two to three days, go off trail on uneven grounds, this will test your loads weight distribution and endurance with what you are carrying, it took me two trips in to get it comfortable and forced me to remove over burden items. (required a lot of renegotiation's with the Wife)

LOL. Well the wife and kids certainly will get to know what roughing it means. Heck these days it's almost too easy with technology. I wish the 101st Airbourne dropped with all this tech in World War II. I've got a plasma torch and waterproof striker/tinder for fire starting backup ( cotton in Vaseline ) and the paracord is is wax tinder as well. Do need a pot/cup of some sort though...

Hey welcome to the forum. I haven't been on a lot recently because of life. I don't know your specifics or needs or plans but I have vehicle get home bags which are tiny and very light weight compared to my bug out bags. I am bugging in so if I have to bug out I want to be better prepared because I don't have much of a plan. My bug out bags are Army issue for durability so that right there is going to tell you they are heavy and they are full.

A lot of the guys suggested a pot but I want to specify. I spent 16 years in the military and I can tell you the Army mess kit that they withdrawn from service sucked ###. Years ago I bought some lots of East German mess kits and they are awesome. They are basically are all the same as this: https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...itary-surplus-mess-kits-2-pack-used?a=1851808 which is present day a really good price. I noticed that a lot of European countries have the same design. I like it, it is in all of our bug out bags. It is not just an eating utensil it is a pot that you can boil water in. It is well worth the weight and space.

This is also a really good deal: https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...itary-surplus-mess-kits-2-pack-used?a=1809735

Your water: In my opinion Lifestraw sucks. Every time you bend over at a water source you are allowing an enemy force to move on you. Unless you have an observer. I like Sawyer because you have options. You can backflow it to clean it from dirt. You can use it like a Lifestraw and better yet you can use the filter with the enclosed bag and take it with you. You can squeeze the water filling a clean container with clean water and take it with you. You can drink standing up while you look around providing security. Sawyer just has better options. I do have Lifestraw bottles. I got them on clearance and its a sports bottle with the Lifestraw filter inside.

Your going to be hungry and need the nutrients and energy. Add some mountain house meals to your pack. They are freeze dried and have little weight. Your kid(s) and your belly will be thankful.

If you have kids you need better crap than the Mylar survival blankets. Don't get rig of it but add a real sleeping bag or two. One for each member minus one or two. Why because you need to have at least one person on guard duty at all times. While a person is on guard duty they don't need a sleeping bag. So this allows less weight and space. This will actually allow more food to be carried. Have at least one real tent that is subdued colored. People under estimate the protection that a tent gives you. If you have kids then this is mandatory especially with a Mylar blanket plan.

If you have tools that require batteries then have spares. I suggest that you have rechargeable batteries and then have a lightweight solar panel to recharge the batteries. I have Goal Zero Nomad 7 with the battery charger. Today I don't recommend Goal Zero because the price sucks and there are cheaper alternatives. Something else the Solar chargers are good for is charging phones and tablets. Not so you can call someone but so you can upload information onto them such as PDF Books.

Something every bag needs is a survival book for the simple fact that you forget. In a crisis you have trouble remembering details so a hard copy of the Army Survival manual is a must. Personally I have the SAS Survival Guide in all of the BOB except one which is the Army manual.

If bags get to heavy then make alternative plans. Use a bike or bike/trailer. A cart or wagon and a very large baby stroller offers an option. Use your imagination.

Good luck

Hey welcome to the forum. I haven't been on a lot recently because of life. I don't know your specifics or needs or plans but I have vehicle get home bags which are tiny and very light weight compared to my bug out bags. I am bugging in so if I have to bug out I want to be better prepared because I don't have much of a plan. My bug out bags are Army issue for durability so that right there is going to tell you they are heavy and they are full.

A lot of the guys suggested a pot but I want to specify. I spent 16 years in the military and I can tell you the Army mess kit that they withdrawn from service sucked ###. Years ago I bought some lots of East German mess kits and they are awesome. They are basically are all the same as this: https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...itary-surplus-mess-kits-2-pack-used?a=1851808 which is present day a really good price. I noticed that a lot of European countries have the same design. I like it, it is in all of our bug out bags. It is not just an eating utensil it is a pot that you can boil water in. It is well worth the weight and space.

This is also a really good deal: https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...itary-surplus-mess-kits-2-pack-used?a=1809735

Your water: In my opinion Lifestraw sucks. Every time you bend over at a water source you are allowing an enemy force to move on you. Unless you have an observer. I like Sawyer because you have options. You can backflow it to clean it from dirt. You can use it like a Lifestraw and better yet you can use the filter with the enclosed bag and take it with you. You can squeeze the water filling a clean container with clean water and take it with you. You can drink standing up while you look around providing security. Sawyer just has better options. I do have Lifestraw bottles. I got them on clearance and its a sports bottle with the Lifestraw filter inside.

Your going to be hungry and need the nutrients and energy. Add some mountain house meals to your pack. They are freeze dried and have little weight. Your kid(s) and your belly will be thankful.

If you have kids you need better crap than the Mylar survival blankets. Don't get rig of it but add a real sleeping bag or two. One for each member minus one or two. Why because you need to have at least one person on guard duty at all times. While a person is on guard duty they don't need a sleeping bag. So this allows less weight and space. This will actually allow more food to be carried. Have at least one real tent that is subdued colored. People under estimate the protection that a tent gives you. If you have kids then this is mandatory especially with a Mylar blanket plan.

If you have tools that require batteries then have spares. I suggest that you have rechargeable batteries and then have a lightweight solar panel to recharge the batteries. I have Goal Zero Nomad 7 with the battery charger. Today I don't recommend Goal Zero because the price sucks and there are cheaper alternatives. Something else the Solar chargers are good for is charging phones and tablets. Not so you can call someone but so you can upload information onto them such as PDF Books.

Something every bag needs is a survival book for the simple fact that you forget. In a crisis you have trouble remembering details so a hard copy of the Army Survival manual is a must. Personally I have the SAS Survival Guide in all of the BOB except one which is the Army manual.

If bags get to heavy then make alternative plans. Use a bike or bike/trailer. A cart or wagon and a very large baby stroller offers an option. Use your imagination.

Good luck

I agree the old US Military mess kits isn’t a good choice for bugging out, though the Military mess kits wasn’t designed for the purpose of prepping food from scratch, it was designed for field mess lines with already prepared food, even the old German design mess kits isn’t really designed for food preparations but is far better than the US design and more doable least it has a bail wire handle, I prefer 2qt minimum belly pots similar to the mors pot especially for boiling water and cooking foraged foods, even a 6 cup camping (bail wire) percolator would do better than most Military mess kits. Regardless, pack limitations will dictate what is carried, if very limited the German style mess kits would be my preference too.

I agree the old US Military mess kits isn’t a good choice for bugging out, though the Military mess kits wasn’t designed for the purpose of prepping food from scratch, it was designed for field mess lines with already prepared food, even the old German design mess kits isn’t really designed for food preparations but is far better than the US design and more doable least it has a bail wire handle, I prefer 2qt minimum belly pots similar to the mors pot especially for boiling water and cooking foraged foods, even a 6 cup camping (bail wire) percolator would do better than most Military mess kits. Regardless, pack limitations will dictate what is carried, if very limited the German style mess kits would be my preference too.

I agree with everything Maverick stated I just wanted to comment that the reason why I made a point to say that the US mess kit sucks is that I have seen postings on other forums and on YouTube videos showing the mess kit as part of their gear. Unless your in a field kitchen line and getting slop slapped onto the mess kit its useless. It is dead weight in a pack. Hopefully the in experienced or young will read this and learn or at least take the advice to heart.

The mess kit style that I posted may be larger and probably more weight but its got a pot and a plate if that is what you want to call it. It can boil raw water for drinking. Boil water for freeze dried meals or you can cook in it such as rice. As Maverick noted the bail wire handle. The wire handle can be put on a leaning stick over a fire and then cook/boil that way. It is made out of aluminum so I probably wouldn't want to cook directly on coals. Put a pop or beer can into a fire and see what happens. For a BOB its the better way to go in my opinion. If bugging out in a truck is part of your plan then it is a really good idea to have a Dutch oven so that you can cook directly on coals if you have to. FYI cooking with a Dutch oven takes practice so you are not burning stuff.

I agree, especially with hauling my wife and 8 & 1 yr old. She try'd on the rush 72 and said " yeah no prob " but shes 5'3 " and would be carrying clothes and food mainly ( except essentials like flashlight, knife, etc on a belt )

I think the Rush 72 is too big for what she thinks shes can carry... thought of a Rush 24 etc but just wondering on opinions? Thanks!

Cheers

I'm unfamiliar regarding Rush packs, I know a lot of people like them, I always prefer packs with waist belts (fyi). If the packs can hold what you need and is comfortable carrying loaded the better.

The Rush packs are smaller than what I use thus the Rush can go under a Military poncho making far easier keeping one's self and the pack dry while trekking.

I have a couple 5.11 Rush24 and Rush72 backpacks and couldn't be happier with product. I use a 24 as my go to range bag. 5.11 makes high grade stuff.
I have seen but never used 5.11 and it seems really good but in my opinion the prices sucked #2.

For the price I'll pick surplus and use what I was trained on.

Maybe it's a military thing?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have seen but never used 5.11 and it seems really good but in my opinion the prices sucked #2.

For the price I'll pick surplus and use what I was trained on.

Maybe it's a military thing?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I just prefer to pay more for quality and peace of mind then to chance it with less expensive products. I can't speak for many other brands but I'm confident that 5.11 products can/will endure years of heavy use with little wear.

My only complaint is that their bags look a little too "tactical" for my taste.

I just prefer to pay more for quality and piece of mind then to chance it with less expensive products. I can't speak for many other brands but I'm confident that 5.11 products can/will endure years of heavy use with little wear.

My only complaint is that their bags look a little too "tactical" for my taste.

That is exactly how I feel towards military equipment. Maybe it's a soldier thing and that it is what I trained on. I just trust it.

Tactical, what exactly defines tactical? This is meant to make fun of the word tactical. Just the word is a marketing scam. Tactical sells.

When I was on the emergency team I liked black but outside stacking on a door black sucks #2. Always Earth tones if you are going to be rural at all. Earth tones blend in. City maybe not.

In my situation I am bugging in. Basically I am not leaving unless threats force us to like a nuke plant on Wisconsin Eastern border force us to.

Our bug out bags are packed with more longer term equipment like actual tents, sleeping bags and food procurement tools. Also couple changes of clothes add to the weight. There is a bunch of other stuff I am not listing but it comes down to volume. I need the bags to handle what we need.

That is exactly how I feel towards military equipment. Maybe it's a soldier thing and that it is what I trained on. I just trust it.

Tactical, what exactly defines tactical? This is meant to make fun of the word tactical. Just the word is a marketing scam. Tactical sells.

When I was on the emergency team I liked black but outside stacking on a door black sucks #2. Always Earth tones if you are going to be rural at all. Earth tones blend in. City maybe not.

In my situation I am bugging in. Basically I am not leaving unless threats force us to like a nuke plant on Wisconsin Eastern border force us to.

Our bug out bags are packed with more longer term equipment like actual tents, sleeping bags and food procurement tools. Also couple changes of clothes add to the weight. There is a bunch of other stuff I am not listing but it comes down to volume. I need the bags to handle what we need.

I hear ya. I prepare for more likely practical emergencies. In the unlikely event of a serious SHTF situation...the last thing I want to do is look "militant" or "soldier" like.

I'm the type that would be wearing a bugs bunny backpack. I'm no soldier so I'm not going to pretend to be one.

Personally myself I don't care to look military or Bugs Bunny, what ever. If it works use it.

I'm not saying to look soldier like but in today's world the Tactical pitch sells. People are used to it. Some one is carrying surplus or after market all of the time.

Every one needs to use what works for them. For toexist and myself we go in similar but different directions.

Personally myself I don't care to look military or Bugs Bunny, what ever. If it works use it.

I'm not saying to look soldier like but in today's world the Tactical pitch sells. People are used to it. Some one is carrying surplus or after market all of the time.

Every one needs to use what works for them. For toexist and myself we go in similar but different directions.

I got all my gear in MultiCam for my bug out bag, and the Direct action Ghost is smaller profile ( and by a tad of CU sq/ft ) but with all the condor side pouches and molle kit I got for it, it makes it easy for my to carry tactical, while with wife carries clothes and food/water in her Rush 72 ( Her's is in black ) and even though were in an suburban center, in a SHTF event that would change to bug out spot A, B, C, etc to rustic naturally so not worried there. I have a family of 4 keep in mind with an almost 1 years old, so other considerations are required of course.

I'd rather be well prepared and heavy ( can always drop stuff ) but the Direct Action Ghost has a VERY comfortable hip air flow/suspender system and an awesome venting system on the back, great for long hauls in greater comfort. :)

Got the Rush 72 mainly because it's lighter, can carry more *daily essentials* and still have Molle for any extra configuration.

Thanks all for your posts, I'm learning from them all!

I'm unfamiliar regarding Rush packs, I know a lot of people like them, I always prefer packs with waist belts (fyi). If the packs can hold what you need and is comfortable carrying loaded the better.

The Rush packs are smaller than what I use thus the Rush can go under a Military poncho making far easier keeping one's self and the pack dry while trekking.

Yup my Rush 12 has a chest cross strap which leaves my waist free to carry my EDC belt, I never wore a belt mounted holster in the UK military only a shoulder holster and that was a very very rare occasion. It wasnt til I was staying in KS I found the problem of a belt holster set up being fouled up by the waist belt on my old Berghaus rucksack. So even though I no longer have a belt holster to wear I still just am more comfortable with the chest strap these days.

Last edited:
My bug out bag is an old kelty external frame pack with:
Wind-up radio/flashlight combo
Katadyn water filter
Mosquitoe suit made out of netting
Backpacking tent seam sealed
Ka bar D2 steel knife
Leatherman tool
AR-7 Rifle with 8 magazines, cleaning kit, and spare parts
600 rounds of .22 LR hollow point
Glock 19, 4 mags, 200 rounds of 9mm ball, and cleaning kit
Swiss army knife with all gadgets
5 pair socks
Paracord
Wire saw
Sewing supplies
Magnesium/ferroceramic fire starter
Bic lighters
Zippo lighter with fluid and flints
1 pair jeans
2 tee shirts
Medical stuff:
Bandages, band-aids, ibuprophen, veterinary tetracycline, erythromycin, keflex, antibiotic ointment, tampons, sanitary napkins, condoms, aspirin, chlorohexadine gluconate soap, preperation h, antifungal ointment, zantac, baking soda, some other stuff.

Insect reppellant
Binoculars
Cooking pot
Morton light salt
Small container of bleach
Lockpicks/shims
Minimag light/batteries
Stephen King's novel The Stand
Sandals
A pancho
Castille soap (Dr. Bonner's)

For food, mostly peanut butter and freeze-dried concentrates

I live and work in a tropical environment, so I don't have warm clothing.

I actually believe I have too much stuff, and a friend suggested that I may have reached a point where I've sacrificed mobility...which can also get me killed.

I don't neccesarily agree with him, but I see his point and it is well taken. Mobility is important for survival...perhaps even a key part...and he likened my pack to a swimmer carrying a heavy brick.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back