Current list of items for my b.o.b. - Thoughts?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to go thru all of our bags and redo them. You know add to them, take away. The house is family, extended family and friends and I'm in search of a Doc and other medical. My medical skills as a medic are old. Based on 80's and older technology.

Our bags are strictly close family. I told my wife when I redo them shes helping and she needs to make our boys help or everyone gets what ever they get. I'm done trying to do everything alone. I F'ing hate video game era that's all they do is play video games.

My bug out bag is an old kelty external frame pack with:
Wind-up radio/flashlight combo
Katadyn water filter
Mosquitoe suit made out of netting
Backpacking tent seam sealed
Ka bar D2 steel knife
Leatherman tool
AR-7 Rifle with 8 magazines, cleaning kit, and spare parts
600 rounds of .22 LR hollow point
Glock 19, 4 mags, 200 rounds of 9mm ball, and cleaning kit
Swiss army knife with all gadgets
5 pair socks
Paracord
Wire saw
Sewing supplies
Magnesium/ferroceramic fire starter
Bic lighters
Zippo lighter with fluid and flints
1 pair jeans
2 tee shirts
Medical stuff:
Bandages, band-aids, ibuprophen, veterinary tetracycline, erythromycin, keflex, antibiotic ointment, tampons, sanitary napkins, condoms, aspirin, chlorohexadine gluconate soap, preperation h, antifungal ointment, zantac, baking soda, some other stuff.

Insect reppellant
Binoculars
Cooking pot
Morton light salt
Small container of bleach
Lockpicks/shims
Minimag light/batteries
Stephen King's novel The Stand
Sandals
A pancho
Castille soap (Dr. Bonner's)

For food, mostly peanut butter and freeze-dried concentrates

I live and work in a tropical environment, so I don't have warm clothing.

I actually believe I have too much stuff, and a friend suggested that I may have reached a point where I've sacrificed mobility...which can also get me killed.

I don't neccesarily agree with him, but I see his point and it is well taken. Mobility is important for survival...perhaps even a key part...and he likened my pack to a swimmer carrying a heavy brick.

I try not to nock anyone's preps for the simple fact they are not me and I didn't pay for squat. You see to many keyboard know it all's. I bet my pack is heavier than yours :) It sounds like a good list of items. As far a weight you carry it. Take a break, then carry it some more. All you have is time unless it is an emergency. Besides for most cases you have a vehicle carry it for you. Something else is you can use a tool to carry the pack for you like a bike or a dolly or wheelbarrow. If you have to downsize later then so be it. Heck maybe some items could be barter material.

As for the small container of bleach I am assuming that is for drinking water. My question is why? Bleach will go bad in storage(less than a year life) you have a metal pot for boiling water. Second question is what is Castille soap (Dr. Bonner's)?

Pretty sure he meant Castile soap. (or "Castilian soap" because the first place in Europe to produce it was the Castile region of Spain) Dr. Bonner doesn't have a patent on it, it's been around for centuries (millennia?). It is made from olive oil with an ancient special process developed in the Middle East that makes it more pure and less caustic than the other soaps of the time.

Although the original name for it in latin "sapo castilliensis" does have two "L"s. So perhaps that spelling has a historical basis. :)

Last edited:
Pretty sure he meant Castile soap. (or "Castilian soap" because the first place in Europe to produce it was the Castile region of Spain) Dr. Bonner doesn't have a patent on it, it's been around for centuries (millennia?). It is made from olive oil with an ancient special process developed in the Middle East that makes it more pure and less caustic than the other soaps of the time.

Although the original name for it in latin "sapo castilliensis" does have two "L"s. So perhaps that spelling has a historical basis. :)

Doc, have you been called a walking book of knowledge before?

Thank you for your feedback on my b.o.b..

Castile soap is good for clothes, skin, face, hair, pets, and can actually be used to brush your teeth with. The taste isn't all that good, but it isn't horrible either. Under some circumstances, a soapsuds enema can be lifesaving.

I'm a big fan of bleach for many reasons:
1) Disinfecting hands quickly before rendering emergency medical aid.
2) Disinfecting medical implements.
3) As distasteful as it may seem, it is sometimes neccesary to scavenge clothing from dead people, and bleach will quickly clean and disinfect clothing under these circumstances.
4) A solution of bleach can be used to disinfect human waste when dealing with cholera, dysentary, typhoid, etc..
5) Pouring bleach into a still water pool with fish will cause the fish to float to the surface where they may be collected for food.
6) Removing bloodstains from clothing is good for morale.

I just started gathering all this a couple weeks ago, feel free to make suggestions or give advice, I'm new to prepping but not to the outdoors :)

Here's what I have so far In no particular order :

· GPS - Hand Held - Garmin[emoji768] GPSMAP[emoji768] 64st

· Flashlights - Fenix FX-PD35TAC Flashlight, 1000 Lumen/Fenix E12 CREE XP-E2 130 Lumen LED

· Knife - Fallkniven A1 Survival Knife Kraton Handle Zytel Sheath

· Communication - BaoFeng BF-F8HP (UV-5R 3rd Gen) 8-Watt Dual Band Two-Way Radio (136-174MHz VHF & 400-520MHz UHF) Includes Full Kit with Large Battery ( Two )

1. Whip Antenna - ( Two ) Authentic Genuine Nagoya NA-771 15.6-Inch Whip VHF/UHF (144/430Mhz) Antenna SMA-Female for BaoFeng Radios

2. Get/Learn HAM Radio Operator & Get FCC Licensed

· Compass - Glow in the Dark Military Compass

· Map – Local & Regional Paper Maps

· Shelter - Survival Shack Emergency Survival Shelter Tent | 2 Person Mylar Thermal Shelter 8’ X 5’ | Reflective Material Conserves Heat | Lightweight | Waterproof |

· Emergency Blankets – (Two) of TITAN Extra-Thick Emergency Mylar Sleeping Bag, Woodland Shrowd & TITAN Two-Sided Emergency Mylar Survival Blankets, 5-Pack | Forest Camo

· Paracord – (Two) TITAN SurvivorCord | DRAGONSCALE | 100 Foot Hank | Patented Military Type III 550 Paracord / Parachute Cord (3/16" Diameter) with Integrated Fishing Line, Fire-Starter, and Snare Wire.

· MultiTool – Leatherman - Sidekick Multi-Tool, Stainless Steel with Nylon Sheath

· Water Purification - LifeStraw Go - 2 Pack (Blue & Purple) & Potable Aqua Water Purification Germicidal Tablets

· Medical Kit - First Aid Kit Molle Medical EMT Pouch Waterproof Case Bag for Emergency at Home, Outdoors, Car, Camping, Workplace, Hiking & Survival (FDA Approved)

· Medication – (TWO) Potassium Plus Iodine 180 Tablets, Ibprophen, Antibiotics, 2-FMA, Etizolam

· Tomahawk - Ontario 9423BM Ranger RD Hawk II

· Backpacks – 5.11 Tactical Rush 72 Backpack for my wife, and I have a Direct Action Ghost Tactical Backpack MultiCam that's fully accessorized

· Food - Emergency Food Rations - 3600 Calorie Bar - 3 Day Supply - Less Sugar and More Nutrients Than Other Leading Brands - (5 Year Shelf Life)-9 bars

· GlowSticks - Cyalume Green Glow Sticks - Premium Bright 6” SnapLight Sticks with 12 Hour Duration (10 Pack)

· Tarp

· Clothes

Questions? comments? All are welcome. Thanks.

EDIT : Had to fix the backpacks listed, sorry about the underline it won't go away :)

EDIT : 2

- PDW : Sig Sauer MCX Chambered in 5.56mm and I have the barrel to swap out .300 loads for rifle needs with a nice ROMEO7 day/night red dot site on it.

Sig Sauer P226R-40-EQ-CA with Sig Lite night sights ( I HATE Cali gun laws... )

- Cooking vessel

- Entertainment for kiddos - Rassberry Pi

Thanks for all the suggestions!!
Dont forget your beanie cap and woobie (poncho liner). The struggle is real LOL

Sent from my LG-M257 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back