Generators

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are extremely useful. What about all types of power interruption? Even an EMP is not going to destroy every piece of electrical equipment everywhere. I store about 1560 gallons of propane. I have sources to get more, even after an EMP event.

Like most things...it is a matter of opinion. Personally, I think a family or group who has a generator and at least a minimum of solar will do far better in the long run than those without. With a large propane tank and only using a generator for a few hours a day, you will get a couple of years of running your LED lights and a fridge and freezer. It will allow you to charge things you need charged.

They are extremely useful. What about all types of power interruption? Even an EMP is not going to destroy every piece of electrical equipment everywhere. I store about 1560 gallons of propane. I have sources to get more, even after an EMP event.

Can you share how you are going to obtain more propane Rellgar?

Are these a waste of time? If the power grid s taken out, for whatever the reason, a run on food, utilities go off, I would suspect that gas and fuel would be scarce making a generator useless? Am I wrong?

People will learn to gasify wood and use that as a fuel. For a propane generator like mine, the conversion will be simple.

hard to store any flammable substance in cities :( Most of my stuff will be related to city living...

If your lucky, you can also get free natural gas from the land. There are a few places not far from me, that I could bring my trailer and tanks, compressor equipment and fill up. There are many natural gas well caps, just sitting there. It would tressapassing, but after a SHTF event there's probably no one around. Most of these well pipes are in middle of nowhere.

There are many natural gas well caps, just sitting there. It would tressapassing, but after a SHTF event there's probably no one around. Most of these well pipes are in middle of nowhere.
I own shares in some capped wells. You have my permission to help yourself, LOL.

I'm sure not getting any benefit from them. :rolleyes:

I definitely think generators are worthwhile and believe propane is the best way to go with them. Gasoline could be difficult to source in an emergency and is hard to store long term. I have one 10k generator and two smaller ones but I still believe solar is by far the best way to go. Quiet, and almost fuel less, if you don’t count needing batteries every few years. The Initial cost is the only hard issue with solar.

I definitely think generators are worthwhile and believe propane is the best way to go with them. Gasoline could be difficult to source in an emergency and is hard to store long term. I have one 10k generator and two smaller ones but I still believe solar is by far the best way to go. Quiet, and almost fuel less, if you don’t count needing batteries every few years. The Initial cost is the only hard issue with solar.
Even when the batteries fail you still have power during daytime hours. Managing what you do with it is key.

I have a natural gas generator. While this will eventually fail, it will take longer than having to find/produce propane if all fails. I also have a Solar generator with a good panel (not for a whole house, but as a backup for essentials, not sure it would run a large refrigerator, but it might for a short time). I believe in backups/duplication for critical things. And the whole house generator helps in the meantime when the power goes out "normally."

I have a natural gas generator. While this will eventually fail, it will take longer than having to find/produce propane if all fails. I also have a Solar generator with a good panel (not for a whole house, but as a backup for essentials, not sure it would run a large refrigerator, but it might for a short time). I believe in backups/duplication for critical things. And the whole house generator helps in the meantime when the power goes out "normally."
I’m really hoping none of us ever see the need for anything other than ‘normal’ prepping. One of the hurricanes in Florida while I was there had no power for 11 days. That was a long enough experience for me! I faired better than many but it did reinforce my prepping philosophy to say the least.

Even when the batteries fail you still have power during daytime hours. Managing what you do with it is key.
I’m not sure if an inverter will run directly off the chargers or not. I will look into that. I know you can get direct dc devices that will but larger inverters may need the higher voltage and capacity stored in the batteries.

I’m not sure if an inverter will run directly off the chargers or not. I will look into that. I know you can get direct dc devices that will but larger inverters may need the higher voltage and capacity stored in the batteries.
The unit I have is an inverter with built in charger, it can be programed to bypass any of the components added to it panels/batteries/grid or generator or use certain inputs for when you need them. You can set it to use only a certain % of your stored battery capacity. It's 5000 W system, I've got a 3000 w geyser on it with nearly no problems at all, I get warnings when I add a heater and boil the kettle on the induction plate, but it doesn't shut down.

Latest posts

Back