Food insecurity

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phone apps are great for lists. most people always know where their phone is. And with it in your pocket you can add things to your list every time you think of them no matter where you are.

Back on subject here, I’m seeing articles now of how 30 million people are in immediate threat of starving to death. 30 million.... that’s a hell of a lot of suffering. Why isn’t anyone ever talking about birth control vs the need for more money to feed these people?

Back on subject here, I’m seeing articles now of how 30 million people are in immediate threat of starving to death. 30 million.... that’s a hell of a lot of suffering. Why isn’t anyone ever talking about birth control vs the need for more money to feed these people?

We have been feeding "starving children in Ethiopia since the 1970s. Nothing changes. If there is any change at all we are feeding and breeding another geometric progression of higher population numbers so that we, once again, can feed them again and repeat the cycle.

African population has far, far exceeded their ability to produce reliable food crops. Calling upon the Western Civilization to do that for them is really just another aspect of The White Man's Burden" concept. If that concept was held to be racist, and it was, then feeding starving Africans is also racist and should be discontinued.

People should be feeding their own families, that should be their main concern. So many are not worried about it, they just rely on the handouts over and over. I would never put my family at risk by teaching them that others will feed them.

I can afford food, but I've recently started experimenting with edible wild plants.

I've cooked cattails (reedmace to you Europeans), and leached acorns. I've also found that thistle and plantains grow here in Ocala, Florida.

After acorns are leached and dried, they can be ground into a gluten-free meal and cooked like half-assed muffins or cookies.

Quite a bit of cattails up in the swampy areas around here. I believe it was probably a staple for the natives in the area. Have to try it one day. I believe used differently depending on the season. The heads can be used to make a flour, and I believe the roots used in a tea. You strip the outer, and eat the stalk?

I enjoy finding all the different edibles. More out there than people figure. I like the bunch berries and find quite a few late in the season, even after snow. Found wild cranberries, which are good. I think the best preserve I've had is from a small quantity of thimble berries, we picked, and my wife turned into jam.

Want to eliminate world hunger. I can do that. Gorillas and chimps can digest cellulose. They turn it ultimately into sugar like any other carbohydrate. This means as long as there is straw lying around, they will not starve.

The mechanism by which these creatures digest cellulose, which we call "fiber", are special bacteria in their guts. These bacteria are passed, mother to child, in those ape communities. Humans and chimps have almost identical stomachs, large intestines and small intestines. All humans could digest cellulose if they had the correct bacteria.

To end world hunger all that needs to be done is swallow a pill containing the cellulose digesting bacteria. It isn't even rocket science, it is kindergarten science. Dogs given antibiotics for long periods of time are given intestinal bacteria to kick-start their recovery. It is simple.

So when you hear someone moaning about starving children in Africa, ask them about this and if their organization is willing to fund this. You know the answer. All they are interested in doing is moaning.

Quite a bit of cattails up in the swampy areas around here. I believe it was probably a staple for the natives in the area. Have to try it one day. I believe used differently depending on the season. The heads can be used to make a flour, and I believe the roots used in a tea. You strip the outer, and eat the stalk?

I enjoy finding all the different edibles. More out there than people figure. I like the bunch berries and find quite a few late in the season, even after snow. Found wild cranberries, which are good. I think the best preserve I've had is from a small quantity of thimble berries, we picked, and my wife turned into jam.
Cattails are--quite probably--the most important edible plant that a survivor shouldbe aware of.

1) Cattail down can be stuffed inbetween two shirts worn on top of each other (requires some sewing), you can make a garmet that is as warm as a down jacket.
2) There is an edible starch that can be harvested in large quantities from the roots. It can be cooked into ash cakes (dough wrapped spirally around a wooden stick, and roasted in an open campfire. Delicious!
3) There is a sticky, slimey gel between the leaves and the stem. This material is a good local anesthetic for the mouth.
4) The large, sturdy, blade-like leaves make excellent mats and/or shelter-covering.

And so on.

Everbody interested in prepping needs to read up on cattail. I've only scratched the surface.

Tom Brown Jr.'s books are a great place to start . . . if you guys are interested.

Cattails are--quite probably--the most important edible plant that a survivor shouldbe aware of.

1) Cattail down can be stuffed inbetween two shirts worn on top of each other (requires some sewing), you can make a garmet that is as warm as a down jacket.
2) There is an edible starch that can be harvested in large quantities from the roots. It can be cooked into ash cakes (dough wrapped spirally around a wooden stick, and roasted in an open campfire. Delicious!
3) There is a sticky, slimey gel between the leaves and the stem. This material is a good local anesthetic for the mouth.
4) The large, sturdy, blade-like leaves make excellent mats and/or shelter-covering.

And so on.

Everbody interested in prepping needs to read up on cattail. I've only scratched the surface.

Tom Brown Jr.'s books are a great place to start . . . if you guys are interested.
I've planted cattail in our pond over the last few years. They start coming up in the spring, then the cattle, deer and elk eat them down to the water level. I'm going to fence a few acres off around the pond and plant cattail, willows and other edible water plants again.
I'll see if I can find that book you mentioned.

30 million or 300 million. I guess I really don't care about feeding the world. Over breeding always ends up in starvation. Quit sending food and medicine to the over populated third world country's. Let nature take its course. And don't bring them here!!!
Even it sounds now rassistic (and no, i'm not):
Since the 70thies we feed peoples in Africa as @Schattentarn correctly wrote. Every year a few times different organisations collect money for help those people. The catholic church let the pope tell those people it's an sin to use condomes. The result we have seen in Europe since 2015 in an big mass: Trecks with tentausends of people who wanna life there where the money is on the street, free food everywhere (as they think).
What we became? Less rights to say what we think. We got limits to beware our on culture because it could hurt "guests". We got harder weapon laws. We need to lock our houses like an bank safe. We got terroristic acts, increased criminal records, raping, insecure places, more drug problems.
Thank for this to all those who dream about an "one race world" and "rescue everybody".
Don't missunderstand, i'm always agree to help those people who really needs our help. But i demande respecat about our citizens and i want the "guests" behave like guests.
Like an comedian over here said in an sketch: All the years we sent money to the 3rd world. And they didn't use it to optimize their situation. They collected it for the travel and now they are coming over... (He's blacklistet for that btw)

I've planted cattail in our pond over the last few years. They start coming up in the spring, then the cattle, deer and elk eat them down to the water level. I'm going to fence a few acres off around the pond and plant cattail, willows and other edible water plants again.
I'll see if I can find that book you mentioned.
"Tom Brown's Field Guide To Edible and Medicinal Plants"

1616768145862.png

I've experimented with a lot of the info in this book, and have found that it works.

I've always said the human race will BREED itself out of existence, even if some major event dosent happen humans will outbreed the food sources and starvation and death will follow.
And they are to stupid to figure it out! I have never understood "WHO", a supposed staff of scientist and such and they can't figure we are overpopulated? They can damn well say deer and other animals are overpopulated but Not people? The same goes with global warming, all the tree cutting and laying of concrete and asphalt, add in shingles and More people and cars gives you global warming! I am Not a rocket scientist but even I can figure that out! OK, no more ranting, the powers to be will not here me or pay any attention to me anyways! :(

Even it sounds now rassistic (and no, i'm not):
Since the 70thies we feed peoples in Africa as @Schattentarn correctly wrote. Every year a few times different organisations collect money for help those people. The catholic church let the pope tell those people it's an sin to use condomes. The result we have seen in Europe since 2015 in an big mass: Trecks with tentausends of people who wanna life there where the money is on the street, free food everywhere (as they think).
What we became? Less rights to say what we think. We got limits to beware our on culture because it could hurt "guests". We got harder weapon laws. We need to lock our houses like an bank safe. We got terroristic acts, increased criminal records, raping, insecure places, more drug problems.
Thank for this to all those who dream about an "one race world" and "rescue everybody".
Don't missunderstand, i'm always agree to help those people who really needs our help. But i demande respecat about our citizens and i want the "guests" behave like guests.
Like an comedian over here said in an sketch: All the years we sent money to the 3rd world. And they didn't use it to optimize their situation. They collected it for the travel and now they are coming over... (He's blacklistet for that btw)

Hey, they do keep Europe supplied with illegal drugs.

The tubers on cattails are edible like corn while still green, the pollen is collected and added to your flour for baking, the leaves are woven into sleeping mats, if two mats are woven together and stuffed with the fluff from the tubers, it makes a suitable insulated sleeping pad, the roots are eaten raw or added to soups, the slime in between the leaves is a good pain and sunburn soothing agent and for dry skin...the whole plant is usable. The tubers are used to start fires when completely dry and pulled apart and soaked in oil or smeared with fat are good torches for light. Just getting the tubers to sort of glow in a fire but not burn and only produce smoke is helpful against bugs and mosquitos also...Gary

And so on.

Not only cattail there are many ornamental plants in the landscape that are edible and found in most yards. Hosta shoots, Daylily leaves bulbs and flowers, fiddle heads from ferns and bamboo shoots to name a few. With enough research when landscaping your property you can change out many of the normal landscaping trees and bushes for similar plants that in many cases are both native and produce edible crops.

Latest posts

Back