Cyber Security

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPrepper

Demi-God
Reaction score
Adding on to the concerns of Alexa, I thought I would share a few things I have learned by reading a book on cyber security called, "The Art of Invisibility"

Passwords- Apparently they are pretty easy to hack. Hackers use programs, and some knowledge they have about you. They look for typical things like your kids names, hobbies, DOB etc. It is also easy for hackers to guess special characters in your password that are in place of letters. ie. $@mmy (Sammy). It is recommended you have a pass phrase and not a word. The pass phrase should be about 20 characters long. It should also not end the way someone would easily guess. For example, "have a nice day", if the hacker gets to, have a nice.... they might guess the ending would be day. What is better is,"have a nice beer," or something else you might remember. Special characters are better on the front end or the back end. *#@haveanicebeer is more secure than S@mmy123.

When doing internet searches, you should always use HTTPS (the S is for secure). Apparently the URL contains information on your searches. The book provides the example of looking on WebMD about "athletes foot". The unencrypted words "athletes foot" will show up in the URL. This allows your ISP (internet service provider) to know what you are searching.

VPN- Get one! if at all possible it helps with encrypting your searches.

Trackers / Cookies- They are everywhere. If you use your smart phone to do internet searches, you will be amazed at how many trackers are on a website. I installed (per recommendation of the book) an app called Ghostery. It blocks all trackers and it tells you which trackers are on the site you are looking at and what information they collect. Many of these are connected to Google (even if you are not using Google) and Facebook (even if you don't have a Facebook account). For example this site has 6 trackers ( Alexa Metrics, Facebook Connect, Google Analytics, Google+Platform, Pintrest,Twitter Button) Some of them collect sensitive information like financial information.

I clicked on Google Analytics for this site and this is what it says regarding privacy information that is collected.

" Anonymous ( Ad views, Analytics, Browser Information, Cookie Data, Date/ Time, Demographic Data, Hardware/Software Type, Internet Service Provider, Interaction Data, Page Views, Serving Domains) Pseudonymous (IP Address(EU PII) Search History, Location Based Data, Device ID (EU PII) PII ( Name, Address, Phone Number, Email Adtress) Login, EU- IP Address EU Unique Device ID"

Data Sharing:

"Aggregate data is shared with 3rd parties, Anonymous data is shared with 3rd parties., PII data is shared with 3rd parties. Sensitive data is shared with 3rd parties.

Data Retention:
" Undisclosed" (which means they can keep the information they have on you forever).

This information maybe common knowledge to many of you..and it wouldn't surprise me if it is. I always find myself on the back end of technology, but I have decided it is time for that to change :)

Last edited:
Good info, Doc.

I normally have ghostery on, but I have been trying an AdGuard/Adblock Plus combo.

I have Edge set to block all cookies, and send Do Not Collect requests.

My History deletes whenever I close Edge.

I also block all social app buttons, so I never see facebook, or twitter or whatever buttons. I read that when they are on the page, they track your presence whether you are a member of those services or not.

I DON'T use a VPN, for one specific reason. I am on a chatgroup, the only other "social" thing I do online besides this forum, and they don't allow VPN. I don't know how they even detect it, but they can. I used a VPN service, tried to get on, and was blocked. Backed out of the VPN, right back on.

One of the admins told me about a service they use called "red queen" which detects IP, notes the location, device, and can figure out the originating IP when using a VPN. They use it to block banned users. I haven't researched it, could be malarkey.

I'm not PO'd about this site collecting info, but it is a bit disheartening that a prepper site has to built on a service that collects all that.

Isn't there any such thing as a "clean" platform? Someplace to host a website that doesn't do all the ads, and all the data mining?

Good info, Doc.

I normally have ghostery on, but I have been trying an AdGuard/Adblock Plus combo.

I have Edge set to block all cookies, and send Do Not Collect requests.

My History deletes whenever I close Edge.

I also block all social app buttons, so I never see facebook, or twitter or whatever buttons. I read that when they are on the page, they track your presence whether you are a member of those services or not.

I DON'T use a VPN, for one specific reason. I am on a chatgroup, the only other "social" thing I do online besides this forum, and they don't allow VPN. I don't know how they even detect it, but they can. I used a VPN service, tried to get on, and was blocked. Backed out of the VPN, right back on.

One of the admins told me about a service they use called "red queen" which detects IP, notes the location, device, and can figure out the originating IP when using a VPN. They use it to block banned users. I haven't researched it, could be malarkey.

I'm not PO'd about this site collecting info, but it is a bit disheartening that a prepper site has to built on a service that collects all that.

Isn't there any such thing as a "clean" platform? Someplace to host a website that doesn't do all the ads, and all the data mining?

From what I am reading ( I am only about 1/3 of the way thru the book) there isn't. VPN is your only option to be somewhat "off grid". The other thing as GrayGhost mentioned, you can't hide from Google. It is pretty scary that Google and Facebook not only have their fingers into everything, but they share information with each other. It would be creepy beyond words if these two companies ever merged... although the don't need to, they are still pretty creepy.

In addition to that there is talk that your ISP can share information on your searches with health insurance companies... not sure how all that works, but it is pretty crazy.

Last edited:
So you are on a VPN now?

Free service? Or Pay?
I haven't gotten one yet. I am still shopping around. I found one for $3.00 (for 3 years) so I think they want $99 all up front. There is another one I saw on a commercial that advertised for $4.00. Still searching, but it won't be long for me. I will have one in the next 30 days.

Not sure if you watched the movie Snowden? I just watched it a couple of nights ago. There are somethings in the movie that this book talks about as well, basically how easy it is to be tracked without knowing it.

Ok, I am back. I tried choosing to route my IP through Canada, and even that was so slow, every page I tried to load was timed out. Impossible to browse.

I am on Tunnel Bear right now, I chose the US, should be on a US IP, and have restored functionality.

It might be a touch slow. Maybe. Load times, I mean. Nothing I would care about so far.

I have five hundred MB free per month. I will report back, on how fast it gets used up.

Definitely wont be downloading any videos over the VPN, but that's fine.

So as of now, I have Ghostery on, Edge privacy settings set to maximum, Adblock Plus and Adguard running, and I am running over a VPN with an anonymous IP.

LOL someone somewhere is like "what does THIS guy have to hide"...

Ran an IP check with the VPN on, and off. Definitely changing my IP. I will tinker with the functions, the free version doesn't give you many, basically you choose a country, and I chose block/hide everything, there was a custom option.

Last edited:
So as of now, I have Ghostery on, Edge privacy settings set to maximum, Adblock Plus and Adguard running, and I am running over a VPN with an anonymous IP.

LOL someone somewhere is like "what does THIS guy have to hide"...

Ran an IP check with the VPN on, and off. Definitely changing my IP. I will tinker with the functions, the free version doesn't give you many, basically you choose a country, and I chose block/hide everything, there was a custom option.

I hate to tell you this but many forums will be able to see right thru that VPN,,,,it will not hide you from everyone,,,,,,myself I have given up on privacy so I only put on the web what I am not afraid to show

I use Opera browser and it has it's own VPN and other security features as standard and it's all free. I'm trying out Swisscows search engine as again it has inbuilt security features once I decide I like it, I'll add it to Opera and I also have Kaspersky internet security.
But I also only put on the internet what I don't mind sharing.

Last edited:
LOL. Well this was timely. I had a google search update this morning and guess what? It really doesn't like Operas VPN, to the point I can't access any websites until I go through the capcha I'm not a robot thing because it has 'detected unusual traffic or usage from my computer' Funny how that disappears when I turn off the VPN. So, Swisscows it is.
It just goes to show that Google search is indeed gathering what it can and won't let you use it if it can't.

ETA. This is what it says.

About this page

Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network. This page checks to see if it's really you sending the requests, and not a robot. Why did this happen?

"This page appears when Google automatically detects requests coming from your computer network which appear to be in violation of the Terms of Service. The block will expire shortly after those requests stop. In the meantime, solving the above CAPTCHA will let you continue to use our services.

This traffic may have been sent by malicious software, a browser plug-in, or a script that sends automated requests. If you share your network connection, ask your administrator for help — a different computer using the same IP address may be responsible. Learn more

Sometimes you may be asked to solve the CAPTCHA if you are using advanced terms that robots are known to use, or sending requests very quickly
."

Last edited:
How do you post here without using the internet?

Magic.
Laughing Smiley.gif

Latest posts

Back