Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The roosters came out of the straight run bin at TSC. It was a get what you get type. They ended up being Langshan
We buy all of our day old chick's from Murray McMurray hatchery. In their catalog they have a description of each bird they sell listing how many eggs the hens lay, color, whether they are cold hardy, heat tolerant, good foragers etc. We've always had good luck with Murray McMurray. I like that they still send out a catalog too, so does Stromburgs.

I made a list yesterday for dollar general sale items. I went and holy moly, store looked like it had been looted. I've never seen so many empty shelves in that store, even when we are expecting a hurricane. Canned goods, sugar, flour, salt, OTC meds, bandaids and related, coffee, soaps, shampoo, and other items I wouldn't expect them to be low on (i.e. hair bows, clips section, makeup/beauty isle. All cleaned out. It was kind of eery feeling.

The temp here has been back up pretty nice so I assume it was the sales they had, and everyone had the same idea as me and beat me to it. Lady working there said they had a truck coming Tuesday to restock. I guess you gotta get there at the crack of dawn to get anything. Haa!

An older woman on a scooter came in for beer while I was there and left complaining they were out of budweiser. Oh well.

I did get 8 eggs yesterday from our chickens who seem to have finally kicked back in to laying.

We buy all of our day old chick's from Murray McMurray hatchery. In their catalog they have a description of each bird they sell listing how many eggs the hens lay, color, whether they are cold hardy, heat tolerant, good foragers etc. We've always had good luck with Murray McMurray. I like that they still send out a catalog too, so does Stromburgs.
Do they have a good hatch rate?
*edit- wow. Nevermind. You said chicks, not eggs.

Where's my coffee? I'm not functioning yet.

Do they have a good hatch rate?
*edit- wow. Nevermind. You said chicks, not eggs.

Where's my coffee? I'm not functioning yet.
oYnLw3m.jpg

I'll go and request a catalog.
Do you raise meat chickens, too? I would like to raise some chickens and quail for meat this year.
Yep. We've been raising Cornish X meat chickens for several years. We always lose some of of the meat chickens due to our elevation. I think we're going to try another breed this year.

I'm not sure if I'd have a hard time butchering them. They seem so much nicer than chickens, but they taste so good! The last thing we need is more pets, though, so I'd have to toughen up if we got them.
I raised chuckers last year. Very easy to raise. I turned about 35 of loose, and still see them occasionally around the sage brush areas. I think their a little bigger than quail.

Yep. We've been raising Cornish X meat chickens for several years. We always lose some of of the meat chickens due to our elevation. I think we're going to try another breed this year.

Have you tried the Red Cornish hens? I’ve heard positive things about them.

I’ve read some negatives about raising quail for meat so I wont be raising those. Am going to get 60 Cornish X type come early spring this year.

Meat is only one reason for raising quail. You can sell eggs just like with chickens, and if you are prolific enough, you can sell quail to quail hunting preserves, bird dog trainers, and places that run bird dog field trials. Demand is always high, but birds raised for hunting have to be raised differently.

I had oredered the Murray McMurrauy catalog last year but ended up getting more hens locally. I may order some this year from the catalog since you give them a good review. I want more ducks also but they just don't last long here due to critters picking them off. Not sure I want to have another fenced area built to keep ducks in. We have a decent size pond and they love it, but they just don't last letting them free range around to enjoy the pond.

Have you tried the Red Cornish hens? I’ve heard positive things about them.

I’ve read some negatives about raising quail for meat so I wont be raising those. Am going to get 60 Cornish X type come early spring this year.
No. But we did raise some Red Rangers one year. We didn't like the taste, and ended up donating them to the senior center in town. This year we're going to try another breed since we loose so many Cornish X. I'll look in to the Red Cornish.

I’ve read some negatives about raising quail for meat so I wont be raising those.
What did you hear if you don't mind me asking?
I want more ducks also but they just don't last long here due to critters picking them off. Not sure I want to have another fenced area built to keep ducks in. We have a decent size pond and they love it, but they just don't last letting them free range around to enjoy the pond.
Same here. Our ducks always 3nd up as pets because their eggs get buried and they can be so sweet. I had a drake that was like a dog. He would run up to me to get a head scratch whenever I was out. I hated losing him.

Latest posts

Back