Quantcast

cheap crap knife that actually is pretty good? Anybody?

Doomsday Prepper Forums - The Number One Prepper Site

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

Tornad0Alley

Reaction score
I know your supposed to buy a good quality knife for shtf but has anybody bought a cheap knife that actually turned out to be pretty good? I bought this Ozark brand knife from Walmart several years ago. Paid 9.99 for it, beat it to hell and it still works great. It's stainless so I have to sharpen it pretty frequently, but otherwise its never failed me. I grab that one when going camping or wandering the field more than I grab my $120 custom. Its because I don't actually worry about using the cheap knife I suppose. Anybody else do this?

bigpaul

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
as far away from "civilisation" as i can get.
I got a cheap lock knife(several in fact) for £2 when the airlines brought in a rule about no sharp objects on planes, guy got the contract to sell them and I bought them from him at a Sunday Market.
never let me down and is easy to sharpen, no brand name but looks like a Buck.

Tornad0Alley

Reaction score
I got a cheap lock knife(several in fact) for £2 when the airlines brought in a rule about no sharp objects on planes, guy got the contract to sell them and I bought them from him at a Sunday Market.
never let me down and is easy to sharpen, no brand name but looks like a Buck.
2 pounds.....that's like 40 American dollars, right? :D

Just kidding, of course. That's great you could find more of them.

bigpaul

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
as far away from "civilisation" as i can get.
2 pounds.....that's like 40 American dollars, right? :D

Just kidding, of course. That's great you could find more of them.
I went back week after week and bought a couple more each time.
I dont know what £2 is in dollars, 2 or 3 dollars I expect.
some of the larger ones cost me like £4.

Mountain Dragon

Reaction score
For outdoor use i own beside expensive knives as well an cheap one which makes me really happy.
The Mora Comanion is made in Sweden, has an perfect handle, comes with an already sharp blade.
It's an good knife which does the job and even you damage or loose it it wasn't too expensive.

DrHenley

Top Poster
Global Moderator
VIP Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was a pleasant surprise. I bought it for the steel thinking that at the price (~$30) there would be something "cheap" about it. Boy was I wrong! Excellent worksmanship, hefty blade, really nice balance in your hand, removable G10 handle. You should expect to pay well over $100 for a knife like this.

Too bad they only made them one year. Reviews on Amazon were overwhelmingly positive.

Tornad0Alley

Reaction score
@Tornad0Alley : I always go for the least expensive options for anything and everything lol; I'm super poor. I don't need "the best" anything, it just has to be "adequate" and I'm happy lol. XD
I'm super poor, too, :), and no shame in being frugal. I'll either just save up or buy the best I can at the moment and improve later on. Often times prepping is all about making the best of what we have, and that can lead to creativity and invention.

Mountain Dragon

Reaction score
An true word @Tornad0Alley
Mayself i didn't had always the money left to buy the expensive stuff. So i started with usefull, but the best i got for small money. Over the years i replaced some of the equipement by really good quality. It dosn't mean if you're frugal you just can buy crap. The best preparing is anyway your own knowledge. Equipement is making some things just easier and brings an bit of luxury in an extreme situation.

NomadicPrepper

Reaction score
For outdoor use i own beside expensive knives as well an cheap one which makes me really happy.
The Mora Comanion is made in Sweden, has an perfect handle, comes with an already sharp blade.
It's an good knife which does the job and even you damage or loose it it wasn't too expensive.
Probably my favorite outdoor knife, It's somewhat cheap, but you definitely get enough bang for your buck.

Latest posts