cheap crap knife that actually is pretty good? Anybody?

Doomsday Prepper Forums - The Number One Prepper Site

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

Kevin L

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
I collect knives because I like them (and I justify to myself that I can use them for trading purposes, which--while true--is probably a shallow excuse), but I've learned how to make functional knives out of almost anything.

I paid ex-cons to work with me on the ins and outs of making shanks and shivs, and I tutored with an anthropology student to teach me more about flint (and obsidian) knapping.

I think that the skill to make a knife is far, far more important than having a stash of knives.

Besides, a flint or obsidian knife--fashioned with stone-age technology--is free . . . and it can be smuggled past metal detectors.

Fint and obsidian knives can be just as sharp as any razor blade or scalpel. Don't kid yourself into thinking that they are automatically "inferior" to knives made with modern technology.
group2.jpg

These knives can also be disassembled if they need to be smuggled in somewhere piecemeal, and reassembled once the metal detector and/or guards have been deceived.

As an experiment, I once smuggled an obsidian knife into a courthouse, and no one was the wiser.

Dr Prepper

Reaction score
You'll always break a tip to a knife, be it an expensive one or not. That's shitting the bed to me. Yes you can grind a new tip but it's never the same. And plus, everyone of you in here are acting like you go out stabbing bears for protection every single day. And I don't need to call bs on that one. I collect knives, and have since I was a kid. Been to war twice and I have yet to "stab" a single living thing. I'm just saying, don't be that guy or gal that buys the "snap on" of knives just because their expensive. You can find alot of quality in much less expensive knives.

Trihonda

Reaction score
You'll always break a tip to a knife, be it an expensive one or not. That's shitting the bed to me. Yes you can grind a new tip but it's never the same. And plus, everyone of you in here are acting like you go out stabbing bears for protection every single day. And I don't need to call bs on that one. I collect knives, and have since I was a kid. Been to war twice and I have yet to "stab" a single living thing. I'm just saying, don't be that guy or gal that buys the "snap on" of knives just because their expensive. You can find alot of quality in much less expensive knives.
i tend to agree with your sentiments. But every job has an appropriate tool. Killing bears ain’t a knife job. But survival knife work varies drastically, and very few knives fit the bill for all the jobs needed. Yes, you can get a knife for chopping wood like an Esee 6, but it’ll suck for filleting a fish. I have an Esee 5 that is a beast, and I think people have tried to break the tips of those off, without much success... but again it’s not a knife I’d want to carry in a go-lite scenario.

Arcticdude

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
I tend to stay away from the cheap made in China crap. But I did buy a cheap knife for cutting baling twine when I'm feeding. I think i paid 10 bucks for it, cheapest knife I've ever owned. My reasoning for it is if I lose it in the snow I won't cry over it. So far its still in my pocket.
Over the past 50+ years I've never broken a knife, worn out plenty by sharpening though. I'm willing to bet that I use knives more than most people do, for work not play. I've skinned thousands of animals and fileted hundreds (thousands?) of pounds of salmon. Use a quality knife for its intended purpose and it should never fail you. Over all these years I've only stabbed one person, and a knife saved my life in a logging accident once.

Dracos

God Like
VIP Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me and my son have committed a great many murders with blades. When it is time take a turkey around to a place he hasn't seen before. The first thing he will do is stick his head way up and look around. My Katana has put more meat on my table than my 30-06.

Kevin L

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
I also just bought a Mossy Oak knife set from Walmart for $24.00, and I was favorably impressed.

See below:

47c74b58-cc21-43b3-b951-dbb6a30d3775.1e545945d113a874bae3484b06780412.jpeg

The products seem solidly built with no "play" (or lateral wiggle movement in the folding knives), the lock on the large folding knife seems equal to my Buck 110, and there is no "grittiness" when the folding blades are opened up. The fixed blade knife is full tang, the sheath seems like it's made out of real leather (but I'm not sure), and the two snap-style restraining straps do a very good job of keeping the knife in place.

Also, all blades are razor sharp right out of the box.

These knives don't present themselves as cheap "flea market junk," but only time will tell. I intend to carry and use them to see how they hold up as an EDC item, and then I'll get back to you guys.

I'll keep a pad and pen with me, and make notes.

Last edited:

Latest posts