Biden will Pack the Supreme Court

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As usual solid advice. The tress pulled over would be no problem. Can’t get here without hiking some miles or crossing a bridge. There are actually 2 bridges. One from one direction and another from the other direction on the only road toward our area. What do you like as trip alarms? I’ve looked at those ones you put bullets in and they look interesting. Frankly, we have none. Have considered a system of cameras in the trees closer to the house, but never been able to decide which would be best. Some folks say they use driveway alarm setups.

Good idea for the cattle raising neighbors. They do raise some food, but I highly doubt they raise it all. There are 8 of them from my count and are in several houses on their large property. No way could they begin to protect all those acres. These folks and their ancestors have been in these mountains for many, many years.

Trip alarms--- I prefer a colored smoke type alarm for the perimeter and shotgun shell trip alarms for closer to the house. Different colored smoke to pin point the location of intruders. Loud shotgun round to notify there are intruders close by. Hidden smoke alarms triggered by anybody crossing the bridges. I don't think disabling the bridge is a real good plan, as you may need it for an emergency exit route, think fire. As for your cattle neighbors. Do you have pasture land they could graze critters on, during a SHTF event? Do others close by have pasture land available during a SHTF event. These people may not be able to guard all the critters or have enough land but spreading out the herd, could work and help form a bond between the neighbors. During normal times the cameras are a nice touch but unless you have plenty of excess power or lots of rechargeable batteries, they will become useless very quickly. Your group /family can make up plans and obtain the needed material to create some very nasty booby traps but until it is WROL time, do not install them. Passive alarms is okay but indiscriminate injurious traps are a whole different kettle of fish. While letting my over active mind wander, I even designed lethal traps for the interior of my home. NONE installed but could be in just a few hours. Design, planning and thinking cost nothing and is not against the law. Once you have determined your plan of action, then obtain what is needed but again---- DO NOT install any harmful or lethal devices. JM2C

Trip alarms--- I prefer a colored smoke type alarm for the perimeter and shotgun shell trip alarms for closer to the house. Different colored smoke to pin point the location of intruders. Loud shotgun round to notify there are intruders close by. Hidden smoke alarms triggered by anybody crossing the bridges. I don't think disabling the bridge is a real good plan, as you may need it for an emergency exit route, think fire. As for your cattle neighbors. Do you have pasture land they could graze critters on, during a SHTF event? Do others close by have pasture land available during a SHTF event. These people may not be able to guard all the critters or have enough land but spreading out the herd, could work and help form a bond between the neighbors. During normal times the cameras are a nice touch but unless you have plenty of excess power or lots of rechargeable batteries, they will become useless very quickly. Your group /family can make up plans and obtain the needed material to create some very nasty booby traps but until it is WROL time, do not install them. Passive alarms is okay but indiscriminate injurious traps are a whole different kettle of fish. While letting my over active mind wander, I even designed lethal traps for the interior of my home. NONE installed but could be in just a few hours. Design, planning and thinking cost nothing and is not against the law. Once you have determined your plan of action, then obtain what is needed but again---- DO NOT install any harmful or lethal devices. JM2C

Great idea for the colored smoke alarms. I will get those now and since you like the ammo ones, some of those too. Would never put out unless we had a total WROL time. Can’t do the inside because of a couple of kids. With the number of trained, large protection dogs we will have, they should give us time to shoot any invaders. These dogs are all 120 or more and have a bite force greater than 700 psi.

I was in Lala land with wanting the cameras. We currently don’t have even solar. My hubby is working on it...slowly. Ugh. And I would never run the whole house Generac a lot because of the noise. We do have a plan to cover and reduce the noise should we need to.

That is an intriguing idea with the cattle. In the scenario we are discussing, they might see it as a good option. We have some acres we could graze a few on and other neighbors have grazable land. We have a solid water source with a lake/pond and 2 natural springs. Something to keep in mind, just in case.

One of my mental games is I play what if and I take the roll of the bad guy. How would I take over a house or compound? I first set up my mental home defenses, then I try to figure out an attack plan to over whelm my mental defense. With that in mind, I wonder how many people own and know how to use gas masks. My simplest attack plan was not to enter the home but simply gas the occupant out. Bathroom exhaust fan roof ducting makes for easy access. Drop a smoke bomb down duct and then block the vent. The smoke will fill the house in short order. Just about every style house has blind spots that can be used to access the roof. Fireplace or cast iron stoves also provide gas drop points. Attacking a compound is a hit and run affair. Shoot a compound member and then take off. Return a few days or even weeks later and shot another compound member. Repeat the process until you run out of targets or they leave. The weakness of large groups is the need to replenish supplies (food garden or tending critters or any combinations. With a large group, supplies are consumed a much faster rate and people tend to be less patient. A couple of days without any sign of danger and somebody will venture out.

The point I am painfully trying to make is do not get complacent with your layout. Challenge your plans and look for ways to improve, without winning the lottery. An acquaintance is millionaire and he purchased and built a retreat on top of a Plato. Cost a couple of million and he figured he had the perfect place, until a small family group followed a hidden trail right to his back door. He had relied on isolation and Google Earth images. The small family unit just followed some animal trails. Never assume your plan is solid, test out you plan. You don't have to spend money, just time and research. Go for walks and learn all the trails on your property and those leading up to your property. Makes for a nice picnic. Looks for places to take cover if suddenly attacked or if you need to attack a group of evil do'ers. It is one exercise to look out your window and guess where people might attack from, quite another exercise be on the outside and look for place to attack from or to at least to use as an observation post. The mind set is completely different. The experience is free and might prove valuable. Just the ranting and raving from an old guy.

One of my mental games is I play what if and I take the roll of the bad guy. How would I take over a house or compound? I first set up my mental home defenses, then I try to figure out an attack plan to over whelm my mental defense. With that in mind, I wonder how many people own and know how to use gas masks. My simplest attack plan was not to enter the home but simply gas the occupant out. Bathroom exhaust fan roof ducting makes for easy access. Drop a smoke bomb down duct and then block the vent. The smoke will fill the house in short order. Just about every style house has blind spots that can be used to access the roof. Fireplace or cast iron stoves also provide gas drop points. Attacking a compound is a hit and run affair. Shoot a compound member and then take off. Return a few days or even weeks later and shot another compound member. Repeat the process until you run out of targets or they leave. The weakness of large groups is the need to replenish supplies (food garden or tending critters or any combinations. With a large group, supplies are consumed a much faster rate and people tend to be less patient. A couple of days without any sign of danger and somebody will venture out.

The point I am painfully trying to make is do not get complacent with your layout. Challenge your plans and look for ways to improve, without winning the lottery. An acquaintance is millionaire and he purchased and built a retreat on top of a Plato. Cost a couple of million and he figured he had the perfect place, until a small family group followed a hidden trail right to his back door. He had relied on isolation and Google Earth images. The small family unit just followed some animal trails. Never assume your plan is solid, test out you plan. You don't have to spend money, just time and research. Go for walks and learn all the trails on your property and those leading up to your property. Makes for a nice picnic. Looks for places to take cover if suddenly attacked or if you need to attack a group of evil do'ers. It is one exercise to look out your window and guess where people might attack from, quite another exercise be on the outside and look for place to attack from or to at least to use as an observation post. The mind set is completely different. The experience is free and might prove valuable. Just the ranting and raving from an old guy.

I like how you think and analyze everything UP! I walk animal trails almost daily around our place. It’s enjoyable and of course helps me to understand my surroundings. But I’ve never looked at it in the way you described. I will definitely give it a go!

Latest posts

Back