Beaumont, TX has lost its water supply

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's really impressive, 94 and still lives alone/independent. You have great genes and no wonder your a prepper! Just remember, it would be hard for any of us to give up our independence. Just be patient with her and hope you can convince her to be patient enough till the power and water are back on reliably

I figure even with a berkey and the smaller filters I have, that setting up a sand filter to pre filter creek water is still a good idea. It will prolong the filter lives, and is even an extra layer of security. The big creek in the back here is fed from a watershed a mile away with a few acre pond. It could possibly have more contamination in it just due to the water is near some cattle and homes. The front creek is coming out of the ground about three properties up from us, and I feel it's the safest bet. I am still hoping to get a well put in one of these days. The county water bill is a lot cheaper than a well though, so just haven't done it yet.

In my camper van equipped with a Berkfield I use a large funnel lined with coffee filters to sieve out and larger particles.

In my camper van equipped with a Berkfield I use a large funnel lined with coffee filters to sieve out and larger particles.
In a pinch even a cotton tee shirt or towel would help. Being flexible with whatever you have to get the end result you want is what prepping is all about.

Glad you can be at ease at least with her welfare.
Granny was calli g by 7:30 this morning wanting to come home. . . we went and got her. Brought her to her house since she is getting some water pressure. Toilets fill slowly. Before leaving Galveston, loaded her up with food, water and dog food. She should be set. . . as long as the water holds. She is a stubborn woman for sure, yes very good genes in this family ;).

170828174804-harvey-emotional-exlarge-169.jpg

aug31_harvey_ap6.jpg

I wonder what the pay out process is like for people covered by home owners insurance? I feel for these people.

Same here. I have around 30 gal. at the moment and should have more. I just can't believe all of these people I keep reading about being trapped with no food, water, or supplies. I guess lot of people just think the government will always be there to bail them out. They knew a hurricane was coming and still some didn't prepare. It's sad.
Same with Katrina. They were told to evacuate for at least a week. Then when shtf everyone blamed the government and Bush. People need to be self sufficient. On the canning sites people's eyes are being opened about emergencies, but they are afraid to use the word prepped like it's some type of terrorist group. Most of our grandparents were preppers because it was the only alternative. No corner markets or Walmart.

View attachment 7530
View attachment 7531

I wonder what the pay out process is like for people covered by home owners insurance? I feel for these people.
Home owners insurance will not help in this situation. Need to have flood insurance or at least down in this area. Plus you have to have windstorm for the hurricanes. Local news said vast majority did not, they are normally pretty reliable. There are some well to does in that area, but most are just your average blue collar worker trying to keep their heads above water. . . unfortunately, literally. 100% of homes got some amount of water damage in Port Arthur.

The actual hurricane hit over 400 miles away from some of these flooded areas. The governor disagreed with certain mayors and said you should evacuate. The mayor still disagreed. Either way it played out, these people were screwed. The hurricane went from a tropical storm to a cat 4 in just a few days. . . even if they were well stocked, there stock went under water quickly.

Trust me when. I say we did not wait around for government help. Even my kiddo was out doing ng rescues from his flat bottom boat and the community had opened up churches and community centers to take in the ones rescued. Our communities were the first ones in. . . everyone with a boat showed up. Donations from communities came in and food cooked and served. It wasn't until yesterday that the Red Cross finally showed up. . . turning down the donation of 400 hamburgers just finished cooking that they had already given these people a sandwich. . . really? Some of these people had only eaten 1 cold sandwich in a 24 hour period and they are turning away a hot meal?? All the donations pouring in after the Red cross got there, they wanted to send to their processing Warehouse first to get logged in. These people needed those supplies then, not a couple weeks down the road. Government help!! My Arse! Cajun navy had a better response time

Home owners insurance will not help in this situation. Need to have flood insurance or at least down in this area. Plus you have to have windstorm for the hurricanes. Local news said vast majority did not, they are normally pretty reliable. There are some well to does in that area, but most are just your average blue collar worker trying to keep their heads above water. . . unfortunately, literally. 100% of homes got some amount of water damage in Port Arthur.

Yea this is what I meant. I just assumed if people live in potential flood prone area that they would purchase required insurance. It's really sad that some of those people lost everything they worked their lives for.

I'm all for being self sufficient. Still I wouldn't wish anything like this even upon my worst enemy.

Sooner or later life humbles us all unfortunately. Nobody deserves this.

I've seen a few different estimates on how many did not have flood insurance, but the average is over 80%. So 4/5's of all the homes were not covered. The insurance companies are getting rich, while writing policies that allow then to not pay the most likely causes of damage.

Latest posts

Back