Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Reaction score
Hello all. I wanted to share a video that shows four different antennas, though they are all from the same company that being Alpha Antenna. The antennas used are a loop, vertical, mobile, and a uber quick deployment vertical.

Nope. Actually, some people use loops when they're having trouble getting a good SWR on other antennas (for whatever reason). Loops are no good because they are inefficient. With just about any other antenna, you will radiate out at minimum, twice what you can with a loop. A simple dipole is the most efficient antenna there is. I think that one can radiate out around 5-10 times what a loop can.

Loops are pretty much for foxhunting only. When you look at one from the side, the side profile looks like a whip, and will act like one. When you look at a loop to see the loop, it receives basically nothing, because sine waves are not curved - they're straight like a whip (think of wearing polarized sunglasses and tilting them while looking at your smartphone). So, a loop will only receive a signal that hits it from the side, and nothing else. And it has to be a perfect side hit, too. Just a little bit of an angle off, and the signal degrades to zero quite fast.

The other thing about loops is, for some reason, most people think you can sit one on the ground and use it. The thing is, antennas rely on the ground to get the signal out the way it should be. An antenna should be at minimum, 1/4 wavelength from the ground. Anything less than that, and most of your signal is just going to be used to warm the ground. Great for melting snow, I suppose, if you're using a lot of power.

Latest posts

Back