a plumbing odyssey

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grayghost668

A True Doomsday Prepper
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
oh man what a day,I get out early and happen to bust my outside water hydrant AND IT IS SUNDAY,,,,this started roughly 8:30 am and now after digging it up to see the damage off we go on a 75 mile round trip to get,,,,hold on to your hats,,,,a whopping $2.08 worth of parts,,,,,well it is repaired,it wore me out I am wasted,,,the rest of the day I am going to sit around and recover,,,,I might take a nap,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the moral of this story,,,don't break anything on a Sunday that you can't replace at Walmart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to dig up the line from the house to the septic tank on Friday. A truck had driven over it and it cracked and pea gravel was filling up the pipe. Mine ended up costing $75, but isn't bad for a plumber. HeS done work for me over the years and sometimes doesn't even charge. Nhe knows I do as much as I can because my husband is worthless when it comes to repairs.

oh man what a day,I get out early and happen to bust my outside water hydrant AND IT IS SUNDAY,,,,this started roughly 8:30 am and now after digging it up to see the damage off we go on a 75 mile round trip to get,,,,hold on to your hats,,,,a whopping $2.08 worth of parts,,,,,well it is repaired,it wore me out I am wasted,,,the rest of the day I am going to sit around and recover,,,,I might take a nap,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the moral of this story,,,don't break anything on a Sunday that you can't replace at Walmart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Part of my prepping involved stocking up on parts to repair things. Whenever I do have to go and get parts to fix something I have been getting at least two or three of them to keep spares. When I get nails or screws I try to get the large container just to have them on hand too. It really does seem like Murphy's law is real sometimes. Why do things go wrong in the middle of the night or on weekends?

I'm with ya Brent. When we bought this house, it needed replumbing, so I went with PEX. I don't worry about freezing too much, but it sure is nice to be able to snake pipes through a wall if you need to. Either way, I have enough stuff (fittings, shutoffs, etc, and pipe) to plumb a house.

I'm with ya Brent. When we bought this house, it needed replumbing, so I went with PEX. I don't worry about freezing too much, but it sure is nice to be able to snake pipes through a wall if you need to. Either way, I have enough stuff (fittings, shutoffs, etc, and pipe) to plumb a house.
I figure prepping isn't just about hoarding guns and food. There are all kinds of emergencies life can throw at you. On a serious note, not having a working toilet qualifies as an emergency to me......

We sometimes break pipes here and some of them are a pain in the ###, during the busy season we are too busy to permanently fix the problem so we will do temporary repairs. We keep many of these items on hand in quantities for every pipe being used on the property, here are some of the emergency repair items we keep on hand.

self fusing silicone tape for minor water leaks
steel water line repair clamp from 1/2" to 6"
steel pipe clamp joiners 1/2" to 6"
sharkbite couplings for my copper pipes 1/2" to 1"
various sizes of clamp plugs for steel pipes that broke and separated under pressure
epoxy putty for copper pipe leaks

I also keep old inter-tubes and cut down the seam, cut to 2" and 3" long strips and used them as a tourniquet around the pipes sometimes in conjunction with repair clamps or wrap around one end and vise grips on the other works like a charm.

We sometimes break pipes here and some of them are a pain in the ###, during the busy season we are too busy to permanently fix the problem so we will do temporary repairs. We keep many of these items on hand in quantities for every pipe being used on the property, here are some of the emergency repair items we keep on hand.

self fusing silicone tape for minor water leaks
steel water line repair clamp from 1/2" to 6"
steel pipe clamp joiners 1/2" to 6"
sharkbite couplings for my copper pipes 1/2" to 1"
various sizes of clamp plugs for steel pipes that broke and separated under pressure
epoxy putty for copper pipe leaks

I also keep old inter-tubes and cut down the seam, cut to 2" and 3" long strips and used them as a tourniquet around the pipes sometimes in conjunction with repair clamps or wrap around one end and vise grips on the other works like a charm.

just what are you maintaining a BATTLESHIP?????????????

just what are you maintaining a BATTLESHIP?????????????

Sometimes it feels that way. When plumbers retire or go out of business including pipe fitters and overhead sprinkler installers, we purchase a lot of pipes and pipe repair products from them at very cheap prices, the only pipe breakage we have here are 3/4 to 1" and on a lessor degree our copper lines, we have no 6" pipes on the property and the only 4" is the sewer line, all the big clamps came in the bins we purchased years ago. We have several structures on the property plus the Wife has a house outside of town we maintain and the repair parts have come in handy. We do get stuck out on the property from days to months from time to time so we keep a lot of repair items available here in the shop.

About 4 years ago maybe little longer we had a USFS low boy backed into our well house during a forest fire busting two pipes shutting down our center pivot we use to saturate the grounds, the inter-tubes and clamps really come in handy with the center pivot down only 40 minutes, never know what will sneak up on ya unexpectedly.

Had my leaky pipes the day before at 06:00 and it was -3C, hands ached real bad and only came back to life in the afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back