What's for dinner tonight?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made two gallons of Chex party mix. Don’t know why I only make this around the holidays. Awesome stuff though, already gone thru a gallon by myself. The wife has a sweet tooth mostly, so I took some of the muddy buddies she made and put them in the Chex mix. Sweet and salty is a good combo.

We picked up the pigs from the butcher yesterday. Tonight we're going to BBQ pork chops. The bacon and sausage we had for breakfast this morning was outstanding.

Update: Just finished the pork chops. Fantastic. There's nothing better than eating the food that you raise or grow yourself.

Last edited:
We've been kind of splurging a bit with the kids now out of the house, and just the two of us. We got some shrimp (and had the store meat market season and steam though....most don't know the stores do this for free, lol), and steaks, made some great marinade, and tossed them on the grill. Did some steamed broccoli in cheese sauce as a side.

Yesterday mid morning the kids came over with a new rotisserie and made a traditional greek gyro with lamb rolled in pita bread with other fillings tomatoes onions and something called tzatziki. It was like a burrito but the damn thing was good, they spent almost all day making the bread and tzatziki. The whole house still smells of yesterday's cooking... that I could do without.

Yesterday mid morning the kids came over with a new rotisserie and made a traditional greek gyro with lamb rolled in pita bread with other fillings tomatoes onions and something called tzatziki. It was like a burrito but the damn thing was good, they spent almost all day making the bread and tzatziki. The whole house still smells of yesterday's cooking... that I could do without.
There is a new Greek restaurant in Gainesville Ga that some immigrants opened recently. It specializes in gyros, which I’m not a huge fan of the traditional meat, but you can substitute chunks of roasted pork, chicken or beef too. Their fresh tzatziki sauce on the pork is amazing. I brought some home and put it on some BLT sandwiches too. I’ve been there twice so far but will sample everything eventually!

Made a big pot of chili tonight. Used tri tip steak, bacon ends and pieces and hot peppers. Simmered on the wood stove for a couple hours. Made enough to feed me for a week.
I usually freeze some in mason jars with the plastic lids so I don’t get too tired of the same meal after a few days. That way I have pre made meals when I don’t feel like cooking.

Seafood gumbo!

It has been decades since I had a good bowl of seafood gumbo. I've been wanting some for soooo long.

So I finally broke down and looked up a recipe online. The recipe I am using is here:
https://www.thespruce.com/seafood-gumbo-recipe-3057282

When I got to the supermarket to get the ingredients, I remembered why I haven't had a good bowl of seafood gumbo in so long, LOL. I can't afford it!

I had to make a few adjustments. The recipe calls for about $40 worth of lump crabmeat at the prices here, not to mention 2 pounds of shrimp and a cup of oysters AND crab claws. So I cheated and got some crab claw meat (much cheaper than lump) and some imitation crab meat. Fortunately, fresh peeled shrimp were on sale and they are really good. When I got ready to open the oyster container, it was bulging with a good bit of pressure. It even sprayed all over the place when I opened it. To be safe, I dispensed with the oysters...

It's still cooking, and everything hasn't been combined yet. But I'm going to have a HUGE pot of seafood gumbo with ingredients costing over $50, so it better be good! More to come...

Ohhhh Yeahhhh

Maybe not the best seafood gumbo I've ever had...but the best I've had in at least 45 years...

AmsHh3v.jpg

Ohhhh Yeahhhh

Maybe not the best seafood gumbo I've ever had...but the best I've had in at least 45 years...

AmsHh3v.jpg
Looks amazing. On good thing about soups, stews and gumbos is you can substitute a lot of the ingredients for whatever you have or are in season. They usually turn out just as good.

Looks good. The 2 most important things is the roux and the freshness of the seafood. Down in south Louisianna we can make it a bit cheaper, but $50 a pot is not that bad. My gumbo usually cost me about $20 a gallon. Thats loaded with fresh shrimp, crab and oysters.

Latest posts

Back