what are your prepping goals for the next year (or two)?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Technically, we're prepping the garden in Jan...prepping the soil, putting in the last part of fencing and a small gate, etc.
Should have put that for Jan. Yeah, sustainability is definitely the key. Without renewable food and water, one's days are literally numbered. Mostly, I'm looking forward to eventually having a stockpile of home canned veggies like our grandparents used to keep.

Gave a friend of mine a dozen eggs from our chickens, and his daughter (who never eats eggs) just loved them. That really made me feel good. I'm still working eggs into all kinds of meals, lol.

Sadly, lost one of our chickens yesterday though. I still can't see a cause. We had isolated her when she was looking a bit wonky, just to keep the others from pecking at her, (and in case it was an illness). Still researching it.

If a chicken finds somthing dead or old food even chicken feed that has been on the ground or damp to long it causes them food poisoning wich is almost always fatal . They will sometimes get illness from wild birds or if you bring in infected dirds . Some times if a hen has a formed egg and somthing spooks her and makes her fly around hitting stuff the egg will break cutting her inside and kill her . CO OP and other farm stores carry water souble antibiotics that you can put in their water but most of the time its not desease .

Thanks. So far, none of the others seem out of sorts...so that's good.

Technically, we're prepping the garden in Jan...prepping the soil, putting in the last part of fencing and a small gate, etc.
Should have put that for Jan. Yeah, sustainability is definitely the key. Without renewable food and water, one's days are literally numbered. Mostly, I'm looking forward to eventually having a stockpile of home canned veggies like our grandparents used to keep.

Gave a friend of mine a dozen eggs from our chickens, and his daughter (who never eats eggs) just loved them. That really made me feel good. I'm still working eggs into all kinds of meals, lol.

Sadly, lost one of our chickens yesterday though. I still can't see a cause. We had isolated her when she was looking a bit wonky, just to keep the others from pecking at her, (and in case it was an illness). Still researching it.
I keep some of the antiobiotic powder on hand at all times. I haven't used it in ages, but I learned the hard way,that you need some on hand. You did a wise thing by separating the affected bird, but as psalm said, there are many things that can kill a bird. I had some kind of bug go thru almost all my birds in about two days a while back. The antiobiotics saved the last few luckily.

One of the best things you can start doing in the garden plot now is mulch. Leaves are one of the best things you can add, as they break down pretty easily. I till in as many as I can get my hands on. The rabbit and chicken droppings are pretty good too.

That is so sad about you losing the hen Gaz. however I lose usually 1 or 2 a year. I still have the one here that the hawk attacked, she is in with my tiny little game rooster. He is the only one that I dare to put her in with, she needed grass, and rocks, so I figured I would place her in there. They get along great, and then he has Buffy's little girl. She still walks like a drunk and falls a lot. But she is laying eggs, and is getting along great.

It can be sickness, or an accident that can take a hen very quickly. However I had one with internal hatching that died this past spring. I knew something was wrong with her and did some looking into it, once I knew what it was I knew she didn't have long at all. She tried to sit on some eggs and hatch them, but she would leave them for 1 day then go back the next day. One hatched out, and the chick was mutated, it was really messed up. We tried to keep it as comfortable as possible until when it died, but crap happens on a farm. Domino died on her nest 3 days later. She refused to leave it, and that is where she died. But she did get to see her one baby before dying so I know she was happy.

I have found out the best and healthiest chicks that I can get are when I go to farmers around the area and get fertile eggs and hatch them myself. The other chicks that I buy at tractor supply or someplace else never seem to be healthy. However the ones I got through Cackle, they were all healthy as could be.

We got them originally at Tractor Supply. Only had one pass quickly (my wife picked a runt as it was cute)....ugh....... The others all did very well, and still do (aside from the other that just passed). Still, I have 7 seemingly healthy hens, and they are making eggs, so hopefully all past that point.

We got them originally at Tractor Supply. Only had one pass quickly (my wife picked a runt as it was cute)....ugh....... The others all did very well, and still do (aside from the other that just passed). Still, I have 7 seemingly healthy hens, and they are making eggs, so hopefully all past that point.
All but 1 of my hens from tractor supply is gone. And that one is still laying, However her sisters all got the internal hatching, and my rooster I got from them. Well he had only 1 waddle, so I guess that meant he was only half the man, yet he made plenty of babies. One little cockerel even had the 1 waddle so it was kind of funny knowing he passed it on. However I couldn't have him for hens that I wanted to sell fertile eggs for so I had to cull him.

Not a good week, now having issues with the runt kitten that was born in the last litter. I mean, she's always been WAY smaller than the rest, but poor little thing, I really don't think she'll make it through the day today.... :(

Poor little kitten. We had a runt years ago and fully grown us kids could still put barbie doll clothes on her. She was so sweet. She finally died though, the vet said that she was just to tiny and something scared her outside, and according to him her heart was to weak to take it. I wish we had of kept her in the house when she was small.

Just got the news. She didn't make it. :(
She was doing so much better last night (had been a bit out of sorts for a couple days, so we were doing all we could), but this morning, I pretty much knew...her breathing was too shallow, and she just wasn't able to be active. Poor thing. She was just so tiny. 9 weeks out, and she still wasn't much bigger than the others were at two weeks.

Just got the news. She didn't make it. :(
She was doing so much better last night (had been a bit out of sorts for a couple days, so we were doing all we could), but this morning, I pretty much knew...her breathing was too shallow, and she just wasn't able to be active. Poor thing. She was just so tiny. 9 weeks out, and she still wasn't much bigger than the others were at two weeks.
It's tough having animals. Most people don't think about all the work, from feeding in the rain or cold, to loosing some from predators or disease. I still feel it's well worth the effort, at least most days I do. The new collie I got just ate my hottub lid. It looks like snow in the backyard from all the styrofoam. Damned dog. I'm a pretty patient person, but I do have my limits.

Ouch. Worst one of my dogs has done so far is claw up the wood on the couch and our front door.
The front door isn't really all that bad of a deal, but the couch is a really nice, expensive couch, so I was pretty livid when I finally saw it. (the kids had always been covering it up).

Yeah, it's hard dealing with animals sometimes, but I'm just one of those people that has to be surrounded by them, for better or worse. (worse when it comes to bills, lol).....

the worst my dog does.is drag the Kleenex or cough drop out from under my moms pillow..then shred it..or she'll get a hold of a shoe.and shred a insole..

My mom had fuzzy slipper many years ago and her dog got a hold of those and tore them up all over the floor. I think the worse thing that Lady ever did was when my mom couldn't find her one day and finally she came out of my bedroom with fur in her mouth. She had pulled my winter coat out of the closet and tore it up all over my bedroom floor. I never did get me another rabbit fur coat again after that.

I've use kerosene that was 15yrs old and worked fine for the oil lanterns, we taken 2yr old untreated diesel fuel (sealed), filtered the algae out of it (coffee filters) and added kerosene to it and used it for our outdoor kerosene lanterns (have replacement wicks), during the very cold winter we used to add kerosene to the diesel in our trucks and generators ;) gas (petro) on the other hand is limited to a year with additives 3 to 6 months without additives.

I've use kerosene that was 15yrs old and worked fine for the oil lanterns, we taken 2yr old untreated diesel fuel (sealed), filtered the algae out of it (coffee filters) and added kerosene to it and used it for our outdoor kerosene lanterns (have replacement wicks), during the very cold winter we used to add kerosene to the diesel in our trucks and generators ;) gas (petro) on the other hand is limited to a year with additives 3 to 6 months without additives.
Yeah but after that year, your basically up the creek without a paddle. Especially if you have a gas generator.

Latest posts

Back