what are your prepping goals for the next year (or two)?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I'm still around, still plugging away at the container house but been a bit quite on the forums of late. Yes heading into summer here, normally I like the heat but now I want it to be cold so I can use the new stove :)

I can only see two lines of your response, I hope you saved it.
It somehow converted into your post??? I'm not a huge computer fan! Now you know why! Oh well. I posted about camping remote in a camper, and I can conserve power and water really well, the wife however, well she has other good points. She can't comprehend shutting off the water while brushing teeth, etc.
I also talked about gardening. The most important thing is find out from others what grows well in your area. If you have a few success with hardy plants that are easy to grow, then you'll be more likely to try others.
With solar, I agree that a/c is the holy grail. It just takes a huge investment to make that happen. Maybey a small unit just in your bedroom or small space, but to do the whole house is a tough goal. I look at things a little differently than most. Instead of figuring out how to make a system that big, I also look at how can I be more efficient to need less of a system.
I'm envious of your spring! I have a good fire right now, and am deciding if it's warm enough to go outside yet to get started on today's projects. It's not terrible, but there was frost on everything this morning. It's supposed to drop a lot Friday morning here. I guess splitting some more wood will be first on the list!

With solar, I agree that a/c is the holy grail. It just takes a huge investment to make that happen. Maybey a small unit just in your bedroom or small space, but to do the whole house is a tough goal.

The better solution there, is like you said, pick one smaller space to keep in A/C, and simply escape the heat there.

if i went with a smaller space when it comes to solar and a/c..it'd probably be my bedroom..maybe the living room..my bedroom cools/heats more quickly then any other part of the house..

One of the reasons I want to put in a pool. (to keep cool). Not to mention the backup supply of washing water. Just a pain to maintain, but I've got 3 folks to help out with that (if they want the benefit). I figure I can get a good above ground pool, and sink it in about two feet or so, and build a good deck around it, for about 1/10 of the price of putting in a built-in one.

As long as it is done well, I think it could still look nice, and be as sturdy as an in-ground one. I even have an idea where a cover would reside under the decking, and could be easily pulled over the pool when not in use. (maybe even automate it, with like a gate motor or a garage door motor unit).

Even thought of this little trick. In the middle of the pool cover, sew on a canvas strip with a metal ring attached. That way, when it rains, and rainwater and leaves, etc. collect in the center dip, you can snag the hook, and lift the center of the cover, creating a tent shape, to let all that crud slough off the sides, instead of going in your clean pool water.

remember hoppity hops that has a handle on them?airing them up and placeing them under the cover might work

One of the reasons I want to put in a pool. (to keep cool). Not to mention the backup supply of washing water. Just a pain to maintain, but I've got 3 folks to help out with that (if they want the benefit). I figure I can get a good above ground pool, and sink it in about two feet or so, and build a good deck around it, for about 1/10 of the price of putting in a built-in one.

As long as it is done well, I think it could still look nice, and be as sturdy as an in-ground one. I even have an idea where a cover would reside under the decking, and could be easily pulled over the pool when not in use. (maybe even automate it, with like a gate motor or a garage door motor unit).

Even thought of this little trick. In the middle of the pool cover, sew on a canvas strip with a metal ring attached. That way, when it rains, and rainwater and leaves, etc. collect in the center dip, you can snag the hook, and lift the center of the cover, creating a tent shape, to let all that crud slough off the sides, instead of going in your clean pool water.
Like you said, if you build a deck around it you can't even tell it's an above ground hardly. Another plus is if you get tired of it you can get rid of it easily. I had a pool in fla. but the season is too short here for it to be worthwhile. Luckily I have two creeks for water in a pinch, so I'll stick to just a hot tub. With my aches and pains from hard work it's my favorite pastime, along with a glass of wine! I bought a pool cover that was a giant piece of bubble wrap. Just cut it to fit and it floats on top. It helped keep some of the warmth in too.

remember hoppity hops that has a handle on them?airing them up and placeing them under the cover might work

That (or something like it) was actually my first thought, but it would still pool rainwater in a ring around it.

I posted about camping remote in a camper, and I can conserve power and water really well, the wife however, well she has other good points. She can't comprehend shutting off the water while brushing teeth, etc.
We can live quite happily on 10 litres per day (5 each, not including laundry of large items like bedding, but including home brew :) ), did so for years.

I also talked about gardening. The most important thing is find out from others what grows well in your area. If you have a few success with hardy plants that are easy to grow, then you'll be more likely to try others.
Fortunately we have friends nearby who are ahead of us in the gardening stakes, so when the time comes I'll just ask them what worked :)

Maybey a small unit just in your bedroom or small space, but to do the whole house is a tough goal. I look at things a little differently than most. Instead of figuring out how to make a system that big, I also look at how can I be more efficient to need less of a system.
Yes our friends with the 10,000w system have AC in the bedroom only, the system will happily run it (you only need about 3000w inverter) but of course you have to replace the power somehow, that's the rub.

I think the bedroom should be the first place to have AC as it's very hard to get to sleep if you're sweating like a pig.

Instead of figuring out how to make a system that big, I also look at how can I be more efficient to need less of a system.
That's the way to do it, may I suggest you move to a hot dry climate :)

I'm envious of your spring! I have a good fire right now, and am deciding if it's warm enough to go outside yet to get started on today's projects. It's not terrible, but there was frost on everything this morning. It's supposed to drop a lot Friday morning here. I guess splitting some more wood will be first on the list!
We live in a very mild climate, the only real difference between summer and winter is that I (sometimes) wear a shirt in winter and never do in summer (well hardly ever, maybe when we have visitors). I've never seen a frost here, but we do get fogs in winter.

I'm only half joking about moving to a better climate, it's much easier and cheaper to live when it's warm.

We can live quite happily on 10 litres per day (5 each, not including laundry of large items like bedding, but including home brew :) ), did so for years.

Fortunately we have friends nearby who are ahead of us in the gardening stakes, so when the time comes I'll just ask them what worked :)

Yes our friends with the 10,000w system have AC in the bedroom only, the system will happily run it (you only need about 3000w inverter) but of course you have to replace the power somehow, that's the rub.

I think the bedroom should be the first place to have AC as it's very hard to get to sleep if you're sweating like a pig.

That's the way to do it, may I suggest you move to a hot dry climate :)

We live in a very mild climate, the only real difference between summer and winter is that I (sometimes) wear a shirt in winter and never do in summer (well hardly ever, maybe when we have visitors). I've never seen a frost here, but we do get fogs in winter.

I'm only half joking about moving to a better climate, it's much easier and cheaper to live when it's warm.
We normally have a fairly mild winter here too, but right now 3/4 of the country is getting blasted from a freak polar wind. It's setting record lows all over the US.
I really like learning new things/skills, so gardening and canning has been a lot of fun. It is a little tough though, as gardening is as much intuition as science. It's easy to follow directions on how to do something. It becomes tougher when Mother Nature throws in new variables each year. I guess that's what keeps you on your toes though.

Yep, I'm either gonna suck at it (gardening), at first, do well, or a mix. We'll just have to see. I researched it all to death, and spoke with other local farmers in the feed and hay stores, etc., so hopefully, I'm starting on a good footing with it. Trying out a lot of different crops, so hopefully, I'll be good at at least some of these. Even found out about the "3 Sisters" method, the other day, which sounds cool (grow corn, then pole beans which use the corn, and squash around the base). Supposedly a method used by the Native Americans for ages.

Yep, I'm either gonna suck at it (gardening), at first, do well, or a mix. We'll just have to see. I researched it all to death, and spoke with other local farmers in the feed and hay stores, etc., so hopefully, I'm starting on a good footing with it. Trying out a lot of different crops, so hopefully, I'll be good at at least some of these. Even found out about the "3 Sisters" method, the other day, which sounds cool (grow corn, then pole beans which use the corn, and squash around the base). Supposedly a method used by the Native Americans for ages.
I tried it a few times, but the corn shaded the beans and squash too much. They all seemed to do better when on their own. I really liked the idea of a natural trellis for the runners to grow on though. I've decided I really suck at corn. I've planted it 5 yrs in a row, and just this year did I actually harvest some. Even though it finally produced, it was kind of mushy and bland. Edible, but not exactly what I was going for. Everyone here said it was a tough year for it. One of these days I'll get some! I did learn that corn loves nitrogen. The chicken manure is great for it. Right now I'm getting close to harvesting beets and carrots. I have the snow peas getting close too. The sweet peas are one of my favorite things, I eat a third of em before getting back in the house! The kale grows great here, and I'm using 95% of it to supplement the rabbits. I don't know how well it would grow in fla as it likes cold though. The best advice I can give you is start piling leaves where you want to have the garden. The more the better. They put all sorts of nutrition in the soil.

I have horse manure, hehe.... :D But yeah, we do a compost pile also. We'll be prepping the garden in december, and starting from either starter plants, or indoor seeding, then transplant, depending on what's available.

Interesting on the shade issue. None of the three are really too vital of a crop, yet, so I'll give it a shot, and see how it goes. If not, then yeah, next time I'll separate. There are lettuce varieties that can work here, including kale varieties, so will have to see how that goes too. Growing carrots for the bunnies and horses, and lettuce for the bunnies, is a nice side benefit to the garden, if it works out. (same reason I want to grow apple trees so bad).

I know, I know, in FL, but there are 3 varieties that do grow here, so going to give them a shot.

my okra plants are finely dieing off (from the cold temps)..so i'll be bush hogging them when im ready to..and if i can..i'll be adding grass clippings to the garden.even then.i'll just pile them up on top of the garden.and leave it untill next growing season..then till them into the ground then..

I love having a garden, however our land use to be a junk yard for old cars and stuff and it's nothing but pure gravel here now. I have to dig down about 3 feet to find any good dirt and then it's only in certain areas. I decided this coming spring to use old tires and stuff and fill it with top soil, and manure, I think it will work better. The only thing that seems to grow around here good is hot peppers and I don't eat them. So my goal for this coming spring will be to paint some tires and start filling them with dirt.

Good plan. I've seen some great gardens using the tire method.

For me 2015 will consist of getting a generator (finally) and working on a firearm
other than a shotgun. Id like to work on solar panels but the may have to wait til
2016. This year i really worked on gardening and canning so i think 2015 will be
even better. As of now I dont have a plan on bugging out but would really like to
get a bug out trailer set up just in case.

Big projects for the new year: (? = when I can get to it, find deals, etc.)

1. The Garden (veggie and herb, and around the house) - Feb
2. Canning (the excess from the garden) - April
3. More fencing (main pasture, and adding some gates) -
4. ManCave (not really a prep thing, but....) - Jan
5. More Water Barrels - ?
6. Fruit Trees (planting) - April
7. Fuel Storage Barrels (with Stabil, etc.) - ? (Probably going to just fill up a 5 gallon container here and there, then pour it in a storage barrel/s, to gradually build up a stockpile.)

7. Fuel Storage Barrels (with Stabil, etc.) - ? (Probably going to just fill up a 5 gallon container here and there, then pour it in a storage barrel/s, to gradually build up a stockpile.)
How do you make it stay good??? They say it is only good for a year. However propane will last for many years but gas and kerosene, don't last long.

never thought it would be possible,but as I started this medic school,we have there some periods of practical work also, mentioned it to my teacher today that I still plan to move away from this city when ready,so she told me there could be a possibility to do my practical work orientation period in the neck of wood I plan to move to...would get my face known to them in advance..it would help my relocation alot

I think you're on the right track gaz. Gardening is at the top of your list. I'm still pretty new at it myself, but I feel that being able to produce food, and propagate the seeds, is one of the most important skills you can learn.

Latest posts

Back