This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a bunch of meat yesterday and had id in the fridge over night. I portioned, labeled and froze it this morning. 25# of really good meat in the freezer. The wife is pre cooking a bunch of lasagnes, enchiladas and chili to freeze. We try to stock the freezer with meals we only have to finish cooking. When the baby is born we want to still eat healthy but dont want to spend a lot of time cooking. We rather sleep when we have the opportunity. (Learned that from our first one)...
View attachment 4311
The freezer bags are great, but when you can try the vacuum storage bag systems. There's a few out there now, I have a food saver, but most have come down in price the last couple years. The bag rolls are a little pricey, but stuff will last for years with no freezer burn. Getting the air out makes a difference. I use it for other stuff as well. I sealed up some ammo, to put out in the root cellar so moisture couldn't get to it. I have some of last years veggies that I froze in them and you can't tell the difference for a day old.

I had a six day off stretch from work, but go back tomorrow. I got a lot done, but need a vacation to rest now! I got a lot of weeding done in the garden, put an extra beam under the front porch, as I'm getting ready to finish it off and screen it in, got the root solar ventilated, and my main project was to get an electric and water line buried and into the greenhouse. Trenching by hand thru woods was a nightmare, but at least it's done now. I put a sub panel in it, and will start hooking up grow lights and a sprinkler system soon. All I know for sure is I'm not in my twenties anymore! I've got sore muscles that I didn't even know I had.
The last thing I'm doing tonight is I cooked down a rooster today in a large stock pot, and am about to can some of the broth and make chicken noodle soup with the rest. My jars are sterilized now and I'm off! Hope everyone had a good, and productive weekend.

image.jpg
image.jpg
I got my propane conversion kit for my generator/welder yesterday. I installed the main part on the carboureator tonight. It didn't go as smooth as I would have liked, but I figured out a way to make it work. The breather assembly had to be cut out and modified to handle the gas intake tube, and the gas conversion was taller than it needed, so I had to change a breather tube, but over all, it went ok. I didn't expect it to be easy. I still have to make a bracket and install the regulator, but am well on my way to having a propane (multi fuel) generator. I'll try to take a couple better Picts tomorrow of the conversion. I really am not crazy about engines, but everything you can save by doing it yourself helps. This Thursday is the rescheduled day to set the 500 gal propane tank, and I am planning to pick his brain on how to install an expandable gas line on the house. The goal right now is the generator first, then an auxiliary space heater, and then the outdoor kitchen. I may switch the water heater to an on demand system when the regular tank goes, so I want a system that's expandable. Again, wish me luck that I don't blow anything up here! It's hard to believe that the miller welder/generator looks that old now. I bought it new about 12 yrs ago. I think I have about 25 hrs on it total. I've changed the oil from age more than run time.

Nice work man! Oh, I'm extremely jealous of an outdoor kitchen. It's something I want to incorporate into the pool/deck design I'm planning for next spring (if I can swing it money-wise). My guess is that I may get to start it next year, but have to work on it all summer, just to be ready when it turns colder, lol.

Of course, my "outdoor kitchen" will basically be a gas grill, countertop, sink, and mini-fridge, as well as a built in cooler...so likely not as grandiose.

Originally, I was going to do a canvas covered area for a bit of shade, etc., but I realize with our storms, any roof has to be pretty solid.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I'm almost done with the conversion! The carb is done, but still haven't installed the large regulator on the exterior of the machine yet. I hope it runs as good as it looks!

Nice work man! Oh, I'm extremely jealous of an outdoor kitchen. It's something I want to incorporate into the pool/deck design I'm planning for next spring (if I can swing it money-wise). My guess is that I may get to start it next year, but have to work on it all summer, just to be ready when it turns colder, lol.

Of course, my "outdoor kitchen" will basically be a gas grill, countertop, sink, and mini-fridge, as well as a built in cooler...so likely not as grandiose.

Originally, I was going to do a canvas covered area for a bit of shade, etc., but I realize with our storms, any roof has to be pretty solid.
I saw some stainless grills on sale a few days ago. One had a sink, heavy duty 5 burner stove top, granite wings, several drawers, everything but the oven. It was really nice, until I saw the price, 2k. Ouch! It would be nice though to have an instant outdoor kitchen.

Yeah, I saw one of those last time I was in Lowes. I was probably drooling there for like a good 20 minutes.

I'm more of the "get a $400 grill for $100 on Craigslist" kind of guy. Then buy a $50 stainless steel sink (running a water line myself), and use an existing mini fridge and build in with an existing cooler (for keeping iced drinks when entertaining). :D

Yeah, I saw one of those last time I was in Lowes. I was probably drooling there for like a good 20 minutes.

I'm more of the "get a $400 grill for $100 on Craigslist" kind of guy. Then buy a $50 stainless steel sink (running a water line myself), and use an existing mini fridge and build in with an existing cooler (for keeping iced drinks when entertaining). :D
I wish I had the money to just go out and buy stuff like that! No doubt, I'm good at improvising and using things I have or get a deal on. I may not be able to get exactly what I want all the time, but I can usually find a way to make something close.

image.jpg
I got my 500 gallon tank today! It's still empty, but will get it filled in a week or so. I was able to pick the brains of the guys that delivered it. After I gave them each a bottle of muscadine wine to take home, they were really helpful with free advice on laying out the main gas line. :). No, bribing is not beneath me! A little good will goes a long way. I hope to have a working system within three weeks. I ended up going with a different propane company that the first one I called. This one charges 46.00 a year tank rental, with no free first year, but they had lower gas prices. It's at 1.79 a gallon now, where the first company is at 2.00 now. The guys are going to repaint this one when they come out to fill it, then I'll put a little fence around it to make it look better.

View attachment 4318 View attachment 4319 I got my propane conversion kit for my generator/welder yesterday. I installed the main part on the carboureator tonight. It didn't go as smooth as I would have liked, but I figured out a way to make it work. The breather assembly had to be cut out and modified to handle the gas intake tube, and the gas conversion was taller than it needed, so I had to change a breather tube, but over all, it went ok. I didn't expect it to be easy. I still have to make a bracket and install the regulator, but am well on my way to having a propane (multi fuel) generator. I'll try to take a couple better Picts tomorrow of the conversion. I really am not crazy about engines, but everything you can save by doing it yourself helps. This Thursday is the rescheduled day to set the 500 gal propane tank, and I am planning to pick his brain on how to install an expandable gas line on the house. The goal right now is the generator first, then an auxiliary space heater, and then the outdoor kitchen. I may switch the water heater to an on demand system when the regular tank goes, so I want a system that's expandable. Again, wish me luck that I don't blow anything up here! It's hard to believe that the miller welder/generator looks that old now. I bought it new about 12 yrs ago. I think I have about 25 hrs on it total. I've changed the oil from age more than run time.
If i extend gas lines i use "counter strike" gas line. Extreme durable and easy to use.

I pretty well look as good as I run.
nice job though on a nice plan.

Ps. If you ever see me running , PLEASE , shoot whatever is behind me. He has already whipped me at least twice.
Just jump over the line Bill. . . we got your backside over here!! Welcome back, you and your humor have been missed. Hope you can stick around for at least a while.

Took our first load of household stuff out to our BOL last week, about 2,500 miles one way, and left one vehicle there. We have three more trips to make and should be completely moved in in about 3 months or so. Just in time to get ready for hunting and trapping. Right now we're living out of our freezer and pantry in order to cut down on things to move.

Took our first load of household stuff out to our BOL last week, about 2,500 miles one way, and left one vehicle there. We have three more trips to make and should be completely moved in in about 3 months or so. Just in time to get ready for hunting and trapping. Right now we're living out of our freezer and pantry in order to cut down on things to move.
Ouch, 2500 mi. One way. My last move was 500 mi and it was tough. Afterwards I thought it would have been easier to sell everything and start over :).

good luck with the move..and i deffently hope the move is worth while..
Thanks. It will be worth it. Mountain property, no neighbors, lots of timber, plenty of grazing for livestock, water from two springs a well and a spring fed pond. Next Spring we'll put in the orchard and garden and buy some Scottish Highland cattle, chickens, pigs and rabbits. We have an old hay barn already, but we'll build a new barn with machine shed attached, a couple of stalls for horses and tack room. Our goal is to be as self efficient as possible.

sounds like that y'all have things planed out pretty great.and from the sound of it.moving 2500 miles is well worth it.i guess it's at least pretty remote area,if not very remote?

sounds like that y'all have things planed out pretty great.and from the sound of it.moving 2500 miles is well worth it.i guess it's at least pretty remote area,if not very remote?
We've been planning, and saving, for this for many years. Its remote by lower 48 standards. Totally surrounded by public domain land (FS), driveway is 3 miles long and has 2 locked gates. Electric is about 5 miles away. We'll set up a solar and wind generator system. Don't want to be tied, or dependent, on the electric grid. We have a 100 acre place, very similar that we are going to sell.

i got me 2 different size para cord yesterday,to make some pull back/ties for some curtains yesterday.first one is 1/8" x 50'..and its the 30 LB'S cord...the other is 1/4" x 50' 100 LB'S cord.on account i didn't know which one my mom wanted to go with..and managed to get a lil extra prep in the process..

Latest posts

Back