This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds pretty nice Artic. . . but yes a lllooonnngggg trip to be sure. Once you get everything moved and settled in you'll be able to enjoy your new home. It wont be long now for ya

went and did our monthly shopping for the month.and in the process,i got a 8 cup coffee percolator for camping out...in which it'll be great during power outages as well..also got 64 ounce jug of lamp oil for my oil lamps.and 2 long stem lighters..

went and did our monthly shopping for the month.and in the process,i got a 8 cup coffee percolator for camping out...in which it'll be great during power outages as well..also got 64 ounce jug of lamp oil for my oil lamps.and 2 long stem lighters..
I bought one of the stainless percolators from Wally World out of their camping section a while back. I've never used it, but would in any power outage, and it looks good on the counter! Darn, reminds me I wanted oil too.

For 'outdoor' use I use aviation fuel in my kerosene lamps, cheaper then 1-k kerosene here, 1-k being almost $4.00 with aviation fuel $1.99 a gallon, the flash point of aviation and 1-k are about the same though aviation shouldn't be used indoors. Aviation fuel makes for a cheaper alternative for certain applications, something to think about given that aviation fuel is a kerosene ;)

For 'outdoor' use I use aviation fuel in my kerosene lamps, cheaper then 1-k kerosene here, 1-k being almost $4.00 with aviation fuel $1.99 a gallon, the flash point of aviation and 1-k are about the same though aviation shouldn't be used indoors. Aviation fuel makes for a cheaper alternative for certain applications, something to think about given that aviation fuel is a kerosene ;)
This maybe a very stupid question, but where do you buy your aviation fuel?

This maybe a very stupid question, but where do you buy your aviation fuel?

Any small to medium airports, in my case I can also go to PDX (Portland International Airport) and purchase it, I also have a small local gas station that sells aviation fuel. Call your local municipal airports, ask for 'Jet A' fuel 'JP4' fuel smoke a little and stinks just make sure it's Jet A and not Jet A-1, Jet A doesn't contain static dissipator additive like A-1 does ;)

EDITED: bring your own can, some are self serve and some aren't so you might have to ask where the pumps are, they look just like regular gas pumps at a filling station

Last edited:
Thank you Maverick! I had assumed the Airport, but I guess I just didn't realize that they would sell it to just anyone. Good to know. We have a small county airport not far from us that the crop dusters go to fuel up.

Any small to medium airports, in my case I can also go to PDX (Portland International Airport) and purchase it, I also have a small local gas station that sells aviation fuel. Call your local municipal airports, ask for 'Jet A' fuel 'JP4' fuel smoke a little and stinks just make sure it's Jet A and not Jet A-1, Jet A doesn't contain static dissipator additive like A-1 does ;)

EDITED: bring your own can, some are self serve and some aren't so you might have to ask where the pumps are, they look just like regular gas pumps at a filling station
I've flown small planes with other people a few times, but seem to remember the fuel being really expensive. I didn't really pay attention to the grade though.

Most of the international airports carry JP-5 and JP-8 fuels (Military) and both have the static dissipator additive (stadis 450) much of these additives are toxic and ruins the wicks, Jet A has been a favorite alternative for wick lanterns and stoves for a good while. Depending on the size and location of the airport dictates the type of fuel it would carry like in Alaska it's airports would carry Jet B (naphtha kerosene) basically lighter fluid because of the cold weather and yes you can use it in your zippos in a pinch, a little smokey though ;)

I've flown small planes with other people a few times, but seem to remember the fuel being really expensive. I didn't really pay attention to the grade though.

They could have been purchasing Avgas (generally use in wankel or reciprocating engines) and not J/fuel

There is so many J fuels grades for aviation it would make one's head spin, in automotive fuel we purchase by the octane rating (or whats cheaper) in aviation it's flash point and freeze point just to name a couple not to mention the type of aircraft (J fuels or Avgas) I know when the military was fazing out JP4 my dad had a couple of 55gal barrels delivered to his hanger and used it for parts washing given JP4 was a mixture of gasoline and kerosene.

Thank you Maverick! I had assumed the Airport, but I guess I just didn't realize that they would sell it to just anyone. Good to know. We have a small county airport not far from us that the crop dusters go to fuel up.

Hopefully they have J/ fuel, a good number of crop dusters use Avgas and not kerosene, so it might be best to call

this week it was a new pair of binoculars a new tourniquet (cat),lightweight tent,some food.
nothing big this time.
Yesterday I spent the entire day working on my grape vines. Weeding, light pruning, mowing the area and watering. It's hot, itchy work, but somehow I feel satisfied with it. It looks like thee grapes are loaded this year, but I've learned with Mother Nature you don't count anything until harvest time. Overall though, it should be a really good winemaking year.

Found a big bundle of scrap leather on E Bay to make knife sheathes and such , didnt need it but got it for $17 and free shipping .
Ran into a supply of CCI .22 hollow points , and picked up some freeze dried sweet/sour pork with rice at Walmart .
Squash coming in faster than we can pick it .
Going fishing today frountier style , walking down the river bank through the woods casting every time we come to a clearing .

i know im late on this.but i went off and planted habenero and cayenne in 2 different square pots.and jalapeno in 1 long pot 2 days ago.now it's a matter of waiting to see if they come up.and how many peppers i get from all of them if they do come up..

Well we have 2 new chicks this year. We also are getting to build another small coop for the youngest chickens. This way we wont have to worry. I froze 4 dozen eggs this week, and also bought me a small freezer. It will be September before I start stocking up on tons of meat and getting the freezer full. I am for now only buying meats when they are on sale. And buying lots of it for that just in case moment.

Price of meats is through the roof these days. Even hamburger meat. I mean, it's ground up trimmings, yet goes for just $1 less per pound than cheap steak. What the heck? Really?

Chicken really fluctuates. I only buy it when it is less than $3 a pound.

I'll pay as much as $9.99 per pound for a decent steak, but I'm not going into double digits for it. Same for seafood.

Pork (chops, loins, etc.) tend to typically be less than $3 a pound when on sale, and it's more often than the other meats these days.

Latest posts

Back