This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been a slacker for the past month. I did can 7 pints of chicken, though. I tilled my little area for my garden. I live in the city, so I have to plant things in with my flower garden. I did till up about a quarter of my front yard to make it alittle bigger. I won't be able to grow enough to can or freeze, but I'm hoping I can find a pick-your-own around here.

I've been a slacker for the past month. I did can 7 pints of chicken, though. I tilled my little area for my garden. I live in the city, so I have to plant things in with my flower garden. I did till up about a quarter of my front yard to make it alittle bigger. I won't be able to grow enough to can or freeze, but I'm hoping I can find a pick-your-own around here.
I've often wondered if it would be wiser/more economical to go farmers markets anyways. I really like working the garden and watching things grow, but it's a labor of love, not economics. I have to admit though, picking food minutes before eating it improves the taste dramatically. I've been known to eat tomatoes before I even get out of the garden.
As far a space, you can produce a lot even in a small spot. Do you actually have an ordinance that forbids vegetable gardening?

I've often wondered if it would be wiser/more economical to go farmers markets anyways. I really like working the garden and watching things grow, but it's a labor of love, not economics. I have to admit though, picking food minutes before eating it improves the taste dramatically. I've been known to eat tomatoes before I even get out of the garden.
As far a space, you can produce a lot even in a small spot. Do you actually have an ordinance that forbids vegetable gardening?

Nothing prohibiting veggies in the front yard. I live in kind of a hippy dippy neighborhood. Most homes have rain barrels and I have a neighbor up the street who turned their whole yard into a garden. From what I've seen, the farmers market here is usually more expensive than than a regular grocery store..mostly because it's a producer only market. It's kind of hard to compare prices when the grocery store doesn't sell Red Candy Apple Onions (which are delicious!).

my onions with the help of all this dam rain have sprouted and are currently 4-5 inches up ! probably going to chop /dehydrate and jar them to add to my dehydrated food stash!

Nothing prohibiting veggies in the front yard. I live in kind of a hippy dippy neighborhood. Most homes have rain barrels and I have a neighbor up the street who turned their whole yard into a garden. From what I've seen, the farmers market here is usually more expensive than than a regular grocery store..mostly because it's a producer only market. It's kind of hard to compare prices when the grocery store doesn't sell Red Candy Apple Onions (which are delicious!).
yea farmers markets do hit a little high on prices sometimes but! your also getting a product that isnt gas'd or treated with shit thats gonna give you cancer in 20 years ! sometimes its best to spend that xtra money i think! but if you have a yard id say put it to work for ya!

Glad to hear you're not in a tightly controlled subdivision! At least you can produce if you want to. I've never heard of those onions before, but sounds cool. I'm still working out what grows well here naturally, one day I'll get good enough to experiment on more things. A friend of mine at work got an 8x10' greenhouse kit and produces a lot in it. I saw a three hundred percent jump in production when I put up my greenhouse. I still plant an outside garden, but it's subject to the mercy of Mother Nature. Between drought, bugs, heat, cold, storms, etc., the greenhouse is just a lot easier to control.

my garden got disked up.now it's to wet out to do any thing else with it and the yard.gonna wait till it's dry enough.then i'll go out and mow the yard.in which the clippings will get put into the garden

Still trying to get my garden tilled , rain rain . Im going to let it dry 1/2 day today and till it wet or not . Suposed to rain tonight agin .

I've had the greenhouse planted for a while now, and am allready having to weed it, yuk. The garden is looking pretty good too. I just hope we don't get another frost. Those three inch plants won't do well if we do. I did everything from seed this year. I did see that lowes has 2 buck veggies right now, and I was tempted, but really don't have any room for them.

My main project for today was to get the shelving put up in the root cellar. It took a lot longer than I expected, but at least it's in. Some projects would be a lot easier with another set of hands. I also got the weatherstripping up on the door, so it's air tight now. I'm going to put some trim on the shelving fronts just to make it look good, but it's ready for some canned goods now. Yeah!
image.jpg
image.jpg

that shelving already looks good enough to me..
Thanks! It's solid enough to stack three cases high of canned goods anyway. I'm going to make it my wine storage, so I'll dress it up a little. I'm not sure why as I haven't shown it to anyone locally as I figure advertising it isn't smart. At least here I have a little anominity.

Latest posts

Back