This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to the nursery yesterday and picked some fruit trees, grape and blackberry plants and seeds. They were pretty well picked over but I managed to get some good Macintosh and yellow delicious apple, plum and cherry trees. Bought the last of the blackberry and grape plants. Also bought about $400 worth of seeds. Were still about a month away from planting but if I don't buy now there won't be anything available later. I'll keep the trees and plants in the barn at night until the freezing weather is over. The garden is still covered in a foot of snow but the orchard is almost snow free now.
Last night was the first night that it didn't freeze since October. Maybe I'll be able to start tilling the garden in a few weeks.

Bought 3 pair of Dunlap rubber boots from tractor supply on sale for 15.99 a pair. For that price I can keep a pair in the truck, a pair in the barn and still have a spare pair. Shipped to the local store free and I can pick up at the curb.
I can not seen to keep rubber boots without them springing a leak. Normally at the points where the foot flex. It does not matter if it is the more expensive Lacross brand or the cheapest. I have just been getting the cheaper brand there at TSC now since I go thru them so often. There are days I literally sink up to my calves in mud trying to get the cattle feed. I am just thankful right now hunny put down some crushed concrete so it is not so bad.

We got a call from hunnys doctor today. Because we have to go to a major city, all elective surgeries have been postponed because they have so many Covid-19 patients. . . no surprise there. The last 4 appointments have been canceled. The doctor is saying that hunny can start back in mid June to get studies done and then his surgery. . . we will see how that goes.

I can not seen to keep rubber boots without them springing a leak. Normally at the points where the foot flex. It does not matter if it is the more expensive Lacross brand or the cheapest. I have just been getting the cheaper brand there at TSC now since I go thru them so often. There are days I literally sink up to my calves in mud trying to get the cattle feed. I am just thankful right now hunny put down some crushed concrete so it is not so bad.

We got a call from hunnys doctor today. Because we have to go to a major city, all elective surgeries have been postponed because they have so many Covid-19 patients. . . no surprise there. The last 4 appointments have been canceled. The doctor is saying that hunny can start back in mid June to get studies done and then his surgery. . . we will see how that goes.

Isn't it miserable when you have to drive a distance to a major city to get medical care. When we lived in the Midwest and I had to go for cancer treatment it was a 2 hour one way drive every day Monday thru Friday for 30 days for radiation treatments. I would be somewhat okay going but then puke the entire 2 hour drive home. It was so miserable. Then for chemo they just finally hospitalized me for every chemo treatment. Still had a 4 hour round trip though.

Isn't it miserable when you have to drive a distance to a major city to get medical care. When we lived in the Midwest and I had to go for cancer treatment it was a 2 hour one way drive every day Monday thru Friday for 30 days for radiation treatments. I would be somewhat okay going but then puke the entire 2 hour drive home. It was so miserable. Then for chemo they just finally hospitalized me for every chemo treatment. Still had a 4 hour round trip though.
We have already gone thru all the cancer appointments thank God above! Right now we are just trying to get things fixed so I am thankful not having to go right now. I am sorry you had to go thru that and also sorry for my sweet hunny. I just hate driving thru the traffic on visits he cant, but I should be thankful because I am still healthy so far. Yes I know how selfish this sounds, but you should see the indention in my steering wheel when I had to drive to the big city multiple times a week to see my dad when he was there.

Yes my late friend had an 800 mile round trip to Wichita KS to get his Chemo, poor sod.

I spent the day on the tractor cutting down a hill of dirt and clay and bringing the dirt up to where I will do some septic line addition. I used the backhoe and transplanted a bunch of thornless blackberries that were on that hill. I grouped them into an area and when I’m done grading the area I will transplant more blueberries in the newly graded area. I over planted the main blueberry area and want to thin out the plants some. The transplanted blackberries are showing some signs of stress but I will keep them well watered for several days and hope for the best. The blueberries are tough and they look fine after being moved. The backhoe digs up a lot of roots and dirt so it helps improve the success rate vs doing it by hand. Really saves the back as well.

I spent the day on the tractor cutting down a hill of dirt and clay and bringing the dirt up to where I will do some septic line addition. I used the backhoe and transplanted a bunch of thornless blackberries that were on that hill. I grouped them into an area and when I’m done grading the area I will transplant more blueberries in the newly graded area. I over planted the main blueberry area and want to thin out the plants some. The transplanted blackberries are showing some signs of stress but I will keep them well watered for several days and hope for the best. The blueberries are tough and they look fine after being moved. The backhoe digs up a lot of roots and dirt so it helps improve the success rate vs doing it by hand. Really saves the back as well.
We love our backhoe and skid steer! They are both well used around here moving things around and digging up stuff. Backhoe was even used to drive in post. Makes life so much easier when putting up fences. Also used to take the big tree trunks on and off the trailor when we collect firewood to split.

We love our backhoe and skid steer! They are both well used around here moving things around and digging up stuff. Backhoe was even used to drive in post. Makes life so much easier when putting up fences. Also used to take the big tree trunks on and off the trailor when we collect firewood to split.
Skid steers are a lot tougher than tractors too. Well designed pieces of equipment. The first time I ever got in one I was amazed at its maneuverability. I did 360’s in it like a little boy! All I know for sure is a piece of equipment is cheaper than a new back. I’m greatful to have something to help with the heavy stuff.

When I sit down at night these days my busy work is knitting. I am on my sixth pair of wool socks since we self quarantined. I shall have to find some more nice wool soon but we should have plenty nice warm wool socks next winter. Next I think I will do a couple new hats. If nothing else maybe they will make good bartering items.

Th good news, The bullets I ordered came in today. 1,000 bullets of 124 grain, copper jacketed Hollow Point, 9 mm. The balance beam scale is scheduled to arrive Tuesday. I can now speed up my reloading, as all the components will be here. I still have to wait on reloading the 6.5 Creedmoor, as I won't be able to test the loads for a while. As most know 9 mm is not a long range precision round, so the load data is not as critical. The hollow points look outstanding and I expect them to be a good self defense / small game round. I have de-primed half the brass but now I will pick up the pace a bit. Fun times ahead.

When I sit down at night these days my busy work is knitting. I am on my sixth pair of wool socks since we self quarantined. I shall have to find some more nice wool soon but we should have plenty nice warm wool socks next winter. Next I think I will do a couple new hats. If nothing else maybe they will make good bartering items.
And if we are wrong and the economy hangs in there you can give them as gifts to friends and family. I appreciate nothing more than a handmade gift someone put their time and effort in.

Got the tiller out last and got it running. I even tilled a small area next to the strawberry beds. I hooked up the small pasture drag to the 4 wheeler and dragged the snow free areas behind the house and around the coop. Once I'm able to till the garden I'll use the drag to smooth out the dirt and clean up the orchard with it.
Yesterday I let the fire go out in the wood stove. First time I didn't have a fire in 6 months. Today it's cold, windy and looks like snow. Got a fire going now.

I finally got around to purchasing the solar panels. I found a deal on eBay for 20 pcs of 250w panels. I’m still deciding on the battery type to use, either lead acid or lithium. I will likely ground mount these on galvanized frames. So, still a long ways away from having a working system but it felt good to take the first step!

I finally got around to purchasing the solar panels. I found a deal on eBay for 20 pcs of 250w panels. I’m still deciding on the battery type to use, either lead acid or lithium. I will likely ground mount these on galvanized frames. So, still a long ways away from having a working system but it felt good to take the first step!
Something to keep in mind is that some batteries may require a specific temperature range to function properly. My sis got some that won’t freeze, but she is in Maine where it is more of an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congratulations on your purchase. I mounted my 10 ea 325 watt panels on a 20 foot 8 inch dia sch 80 pipe. It's buried 6 feet deep in rock with 10 yards of concrete. I went with a tall mount so I wouldn't need to cut any trees.
I also went with lead acid batteries. They require a little maintenance every month or so but I'm happy with them. Even in our climate freezing isn't a problem as I have the batteries, inverter and generator in a well insulated building.

Congratulations on your purchase. I mounted my 10 ea 325 watt panels on a 20 foot 8 inch dia sch 80 pipe. It's buried 6 feet deep in rock with 10 yards of concrete. I went with a tall mount so I wouldn't need to cut any trees.
I also went with lead acid batteries. They require a little maintenance every month or so but I'm happy with them. Even in our climate freezing isn't a problem as I have the batteries, inverter and generator in a well insulated building.
I am still tossing the idea of roof mount or ground mount. I have a southern facing porch that is 36’ long and it’s probably the best place to install. I just hate the idea of drilling holes into a perfectly good metal roof! I will mount the panels and have a plan before ordering the batteries, charger and inverter. It will be simple enough to add a new box to run all the circuits I want off grid. I think I will be able to run everything except the shop and central air/heat with this. The water heater would be tough but I’ve allready purchased a new gas one to install. Anyways I am glad to get this project started. Lord knows we all have time to work on projects right now!

Latest posts

Back