This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got started working on the new corral today. Taking up where I left off last fall. Got most of the trees and stumps dug out and put in a pile. It's too windy to burn today, maybe tomorrow. A fire would feel really nice today, high temp 35 degs. Got a few posts in and ordered the lumber for the rails.
Started riding the fence line this morning. The area that I was able to get to looked surprisingly good after this winter. Just needs a few broken wires spliced and add about a dozen new posts. I was only able to get to about a mile and a half of fence before the snow got too deep but this was still a good sign.
The wind blew the roof off the wood shed the other day so I'll need to reroof it when the weather warms up some.
Tomorrow I'll take the chains off the tractor. Shouldn't need them anymore. I'll leave the tracks on the side by side for a couple more weeks. There's a lake not far from me that's usually snowed in until mid July. I'd like to go see if I can make in and do some ice fishing. May have to walk the last half mile, it's in the bottom of a deep bowl.

Take the chains off the tractor and put them on your boots while on the roof AD....be careful
Got the roof on just about dark last night. The wood shed has a shed roof design so it isn't too steep. But speaking of tire chains, I'm going to take them off the tractor today. Shouldn't need them any more until Fall.

I am still tossing the idea of roof mount or ground mount. I have a southern facing porch that is 36’ long and it’s probably the best place to install. I just hate the idea of drilling holes into a perfectly good metal roof! I will mount the panels and have a plan before ordering the batteries, charger and inverter. It will be simple enough to add a new box to run all the circuits I want off grid. I think I will be able to run everything except the shop and central air/heat with this. The water heater would be tough but I’ve allready purchased a new gas one to install. Anyways I am glad to get this project started. Lord knows we all have time to work on projects right now!
I would caution against mounting the panels on the roof. I think over time that it will leak, especially with the amount of rain and wind that you get where you are, plus the occasional ice storms.
Our normal power usage is around 0 - 6 amps. That number obviously goes up when one of the fridges or freezers start up, or when I'm working in the shop. I've been very surprised at how little power we actually use. Of course the wife isn't here very much and I'm outside generally all day.

Brent, check out Unistrut for mounting the solar panels. Can be found at Lowes and other stores. You can also find YouTube videos of others using the Unistrut for mounting solar panels.

Myself, I am using AGM batteries. Not saying they are the best but I feel are a compromise between flooded acid and (very expensive) lithium.

Good luck on your latest project.

I am still 50/50 on the roof vs the ground mount. Either mount will go on galvanized unistrut. I am an electrician and use it often. For outside use I generally prime and paint it after installing just to make it last a little longer with no maintenance. Pretty strong and durable stuff. I am still considering the lithium but am trying to get over the shock of the initial expense. I will post a thread with pictures and my learning curve as I go on with it. Have had issues with the site not being able to load my pictures lately due to file size. Need to figure out how to reduce the image some on the iPad.

Got most of the trees, stumps and brush burned today for the new corral. The wind came up so I decided to let the fire die down. I'll start the fire again in the morning and begin digging the post holes. And order the lumber for the fence rails. Still need to buy more steel tubing panels and some gates too. I'll get them next week.
The garden is now free of snow and is drying out. I'm going to see how much I can get tilled before dark tonight.

I am still considering the lithium
how much I can get tilled before dark tonight.
To all solar hopefuls, I cannot afford lithium or real solar batteries, I just go to the local junkyard and get the fairly new batteries from the cars which have been totalled and still have good batteries. They are not made to take slow trickle draws, but instead a power punch to start a car motor. BUT, we all sit in our car and listen to the radio which is also a trickle drain...There will always be enough cheap batteries for my needs...
AD, glad to hear you can get going on the garden, my neighbor asked me to run a rented backhoe today to get the holes dug for the concrete pillars he needs for an additional storage roof being built behind his horse barn. Just a roof and no walls to park his tractors and stuff in winter. Glad to help him but even more glad to stay in practice on the backhoe...GP

AD, glad to hear you can get going on the garden, my neighbor asked me to run a rented backhoe today to get the holes dug for the concrete pillars he needs for an additional storage roof being built behind his horse barn. Just a roof and no walls to park his tractors and stuff in winter. Glad to help him but even more glad to stay in practice on the backhoe...GP
Working in the garden sounded like a good idea, but then it decided to snow today.
Two years ago I built a 12x24 foot extension on the side of my barn to park my tractor. It's just a roof now but I plan to close it in to keep the snow from blowing in.
I could use a backhoe up here a lot. It costs $200 just to get one here from town. So I end up digging a lot by hand. I have an auger for my tractor for digging post holes. It works great untill I hit rock, then I have to chisel the rest by hand. Some holes take a couple days for each hole.

Working in the garden sounded like a good idea, but then it decided to snow today.
Two years ago I built a 12x24 foot extension on the side of my barn to park my tractor. It's just a roof now but I plan to close it in to keep the snow from blowing in.
I could use a backhoe up here a lot. It costs $200 just to get one here from town. So I end up digging a lot by hand. I have an auger for my tractor for digging post holes. It works great untill I hit rock, then I have to chisel the rest by hand. Some holes take a couple days for each hole.

I ordered the loud pool entry alarms from amazon today. It’s a 10 pack of peel and stick sensors that are really loud. I want them on every window and door downstairs. With my hearing loss at night in bed I can still heard these. I’m not worried so much right now about security but give this mess with people not having any income and we will see where we’re at then. I’m not expecting the police to be able to respond in a reasonable time here in the country.

I ordered the loud pool entry alarms from amazon today. It’s a 10 pack of peel and stick sensors that are really loud. I want them on every window and door downstairs. With my hearing loss at night in bed I can still heard these. I’m not worried so much right now about security but give this mess with people not having any income and we will see where we’re at then. I’m not expecting the police to be able to respond in a reasonable time here in the country.
I don't know if it's related to what's going on but it seems that recently there have been quite a few break ins and car thefts in my town.

KateMTx: The criminals know that this type of crime is next the bottom of the police response / investigation totem pole. As the police response go on certain crimes, those crimes increase in frequency. There are going to be a lot more of these crimes in the future.

What do I need to search for on Amazon to find these? What's the approximate cost? I feel like I need something for my big downstairs window.
KateMTx: The criminals know that this type of crime is next the bottom of the police response / investigation totem pole. As the police response go on certain crimes, those crimes increase in frequency. There are going to be a lot more of these crimes in the future.
Our town is just fine though, I guess maybe people are "bored" due to shelter in place but there isn't a lot of craziness or extra problems right now. It's scary how quickly people turn to crime I guess. I can only imagine what it would be like if it did get bad here.

What do I need to search for on Amazon to find these? What's the approximate cost? I feel like I need something for my big downstairs window.

Our town is just fine though, I guess maybe people are "bored" due to shelter in place but there isn't a lot of craziness or extra problems right now. It's scary how quickly people turn to crime I guess. I can only imagine what it would be like if it did get bad here.[/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZMG4M85/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I think I looked up pool alarms. These were a ten pack for 45.00 with tax included. They are peel and stick, super loud and come with batteries. I feel pretty secure where I am and especially with three dogs and a locked gate but if the economy stays bad for a long time I felt these were a good idea. I am well armed and a good shot but being near deaf without my hearing aides (like when I’m sleeping) puts me at a disadvantage. I’m also hoping the loud alarm going off would help an intruder to decide to leave before I have a chance to confront them anyways.

That post got put under the quote somehow...
Basically it was a ten pack of peel and stick contact sensor alarms for 45.00. They come with batteries and are loud. Under pool alarm I believe.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back