This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a 4500ish Duromax dual fuel recently. It runs fine on gasoline but the regulator hasn’t worked and after about three months I’ve given up on the company to cover it. Not really pleased with the service, but it was cheap and does the job. Has wheels, electric start, top mount gas tank, and in theory dual fuel for less than 400.00

Duromax has a bad reputation in my neck of the woods, they known here as a 'nice looking paper weight'

Duromax has a bad reputation in my neck of the woods, they known here as a 'nice looking paper weight'
It starts great and runs smooth on gas. My son ran his house with it for about twelve hours or so with no issues. If you look on line with reviews though not many have much good to say about it. My review was scathing too about the propane regulator.

One of our fireplaces isn't very efficient and we had planned to get a Finnish pönttöuuni like we have in another room. The prices for a new one are about €2500+ but would use less wood than the one we have and generate more heat for a longer time. We had a look at some of the new models but then found a woman who doesn't want hers. Today I took an hours drive to her house and spent the whole day chiseling out all the bricks and taking apart the metal tube. Now stored in the garage and I will resemble it in the summer to have it up and running by next winter. I think after I have paid for the new fire bricks I may have saved about €2,000. Not bad for a days work. Well probably 2 0r 3 days after I've done the rebuild.

For the non Finns a Pönttöuuni looks like this -

iu

Basically works like a gigantic wood fuel radiator

Due to our heavy snow fall over the past week construction on the house has came to a stop. After 4 days of plowing I got the road open just enough yesterday to get to town for more diesel and food. The 40 mile round trip took close to 5 hours. We're supposed to get another 1-3 feet of snow with high winds tonight and tomorrow. I'll assess the situation in the morning, but it looks like I'm going to have to abandon the road. The drifts are already several feet higher than the top of the tractor. Its going to be hard enough just keeping the road open to the pump house and to the barn. Getting feed out to the cattle has become a big problem. So now I'm having to feed in the corral.
My prepping plans for this summer have changed somewhat. I'm going to put in a 500 gallon diesel tank dedicated for the generator. Right now I'm hauling in just 60 gallons of diesel for the generator and tractor. Before next winter I'm going to get a snow blower for the tractor. That'll be a big expense that I wasn't planning for. Another option is to get a snow cat and quit trying to keep the road open. I'll just leave a vehicle at a friend's house about 6 miles down the road.

Due to our heavy snow fall over the past week construction on the house has came to a stop. After 4 days of plowing I got the road open just enough yesterday to get to town for more diesel and food. The 40 mile round trip took close to 5 hours. We're supposed to get another 1-3 feet of snow with high winds tonight and tomorrow. I'll assess the situation in the morning, but it looks like I'm going to have to abandon the road. The drifts are already several feet higher than the top of the tractor. Its going to be hard enough just keeping the road open to the pump house and to the barn. Getting feed out to the cattle has become a big problem. So now I'm having to feed in the corral.
My prepping plans for this summer have changed somewhat. I'm going to put in a 500 gallon diesel tank dedicated for the generator. Right now I'm hauling in just 60 gallons of diesel for the generator and tractor. Before next winter I'm going to get a snow blower for the tractor. That'll be a big expense that I wasn't planning for. Another option is to get a snow cat and quit trying to keep the road open. I'll just leave a vehicle at a friend's house about 6 miles down the road.

You shouldn't have needed to go get more food and diesel. Was you not prepared? Now we going to have to remove that prepping God title, lol

You shouldn't have needed to go get more food and diesel. Was you not prepared? Now we going to have to remove that prepping God title, lol
Your right. I'm a bad prepper. I had plenty of food at home, but not enough diesel for both the generator and the tractor. I know, I should have put a higher priority on bulk fuel storage. I'm just one man though and can't do it all alone. I'll try to redeem myself.
I did pick up a pizza yesterday just in case I had to walk home. Does that count?

It took me a while to figure out how much fuel we used in a year before I purchased bulk tanks then one winter it got bad that blew my calculations to shit after I purchased bulk diesel then more equipment was added after the calculation further eroding my numbers. Each season every year brings new challenges that really shows the weak areas, with me it was diffidently fuel's, it took about 5 years before we settled on a good number that worked in the worst of times (currently) but things change creating that oh-shit moment.

It took me a while to figure out how much fuel we used in a year before I purchased bulk tanks then one winter it got bad that blew my calculations to shit after I purchased bulk diesel then more equipment was added after the calculation further eroding my numbers. Each season every year brings new challenges that really shows the weak areas, with me it was diffidently fuel's, it took about 5 years before we settled on a good number that worked in the worst of times (currently) but things change creating that oh-shit moment.
Yeah, from what I’m seeing on the weather reports you are certainly able to test out your preps this winter Mav. I am envious of your location during the warmer months but you can have it during winter.

I'm thinking about going with a 300-500 gallon diesel tank for the generator and tractor. And 250 gallon tank for gasoline. As long as the road is open I can still haul 60 gallons in the transfer tank on my truck. Since last night we had close to another 2 feet of snow and high winds. Our road is now officially shut down. I can't even tell where it is.
Your right, it is hard to calculate just how much fuel is needed to make it through the winter. I don't want to run short again.

I'm thinking about going with a 300-500 gallon diesel tank for the generator and tractor. And 250 gallon tank for gasoline. As long as the road is open I can still haul 60 gallons in the transfer tank on my truck. Since last night we had close to another 2 feet of snow and high winds. Our road is now officially shut down. I can't even tell where it is.
Your right, it is hard to calculate just how much fuel is needed to make it through the winter. I don't want to run short again.

And now Ladies and gentlemen, these are the kind of surprises waiting for us in the future. Arcticdude is a big time prepper and very aware of is climate and environment, but still gets surprises. We have to try and match his level of expertise, if we really plan to be ready for the SHTF events of the future. This is the kind of games Mr. Murphy has planned for us, when we do prep, just what will he be able to toss at us if we only semi-prep.

Your right. I'm a bad prepper. I had plenty of food at home, but not enough diesel for both the generator and the tractor. I know, I should have put a higher priority on bulk fuel storage. I'm just one man though and can't do it all alone. I'll try to redeem myself.
I did pick up a pizza yesterday just in case I had to walk home. Does that count?
At least you're still alive. That's a lot better off than I'd be in those conditions. We all learn new things everyday, some bigger or more important things than others. I vote that you can keep your title.

I’m having 10 trees dropped today. Normally I would drop them myself one at a time but 5 are right next to and over one of the sheds here and need to be roped down in pieces. It’s just not worth the time for me. Even with this it will take days to cut up and stack all of it. Anyways, I’m good with firewood for next season now. This year I have been burning mostly pine but all these trees are oak and hickory, yeah! It burns much longer into the night than pine.

I seem to have bought a house. Despite looking at a few lovely cottages c.250 years old, I've ended up with a fantastic beast built in 2000 and with a large garden (maybe 900 m2 or so) that has a brook running across the far end. Plenty of space for veg, soft and top fruit, hens, quail, bees. Bags of storage inside, a good greenhouse, garage and work shed (and a neighbour thinking of selling their lathe!). I'll be able to sit in the conservatory to watch buzzards, sparrowhawks and badgers. The hamlet is about half a mile from the coast, a mile from the nearest loch, surrounded by farm and woodland. Should be settled sometime in April. Huzzah ☺

I seem to have bought a house. Despite looking at a few lovely cottages c.250 years old, I've ended up with a fantastic beast built in 2000 and with a large garden (maybe 900 m2 or so) that has a brook running across the far end. Plenty of space for veg, soft and top fruit, hens, quail, bees. Bags of storage inside, a good greenhouse, garage and work shed (and a neighbour thinking of selling their lathe!). I'll be able to sit in the conservatory to watch buzzards, sparrowhawks and badgers. The hamlet is about half a mile from the coast, a mile from the nearest loch, surrounded by farm and woodland. Should be settled sometime in April. Huzzah [emoji5]
Sounds wonderful! Congratulations!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back