This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saturday I received a call from a broker that purchased a mill that shut down, it has 300 logs 35’ long of yellow pine, the poles were utilities pole that were mis-cut suppose to 40’, poles are untreated resting on cradles not exposed to the outdoors. The end of spring I’m getting them out of the their with the cradles, all the poles were purchased for $7500. We’ll be able to mill us some good timber this summer!

Purchased many bags of freez dried milk, eggs, baking powder and butter and 2 buckets of dehydrated white flour to make bread during long term SHTF.

Bought 5 pounds of local raw honey.

Started tilling the garden with horse menur and getting ready to start planting next week.

I’m going to get a pallet of composted manure tomorrow to till in. I think I will plant the greenhouse with cold weather stuff, but will hold off on the garden just yet here. Am excited to start growing again. My home canned supplies are dwindling.

I didn’t realize how much a pallet of 55 bags of Black Cow manure weighs! My poor pick up is sagging badly. I got it home and parked it next to the greenhouse and garden. It’s still sitting there.... I shouldn’t leave that load on it overnight but unloading is going to be a tomorrow afternoon job. I’m heading out early tomorrow so not happening first thing either.... at least I have a good soil enricher here now.

Was given this to me.all i have to do with it.put a 5 gallon jug of water in it.then tilt n poor.

0301191222.jpg

Was given this to me.all i have to do with it.put a 5 gallon jug of water in it.then tilt n poor.

View attachment 9380
Nice, I’ve never seen a tilt one before. Cool idea. I was at Walmart a while back and they had a pump unit for the 5 gallon jugs on clearance for 5 bucks. I love it but bet it won’t last as long as yours.

I added three inches of black cow manure to the greenhouse finally and hope to get it tilled in today and planted! I’m excited to get some good vegetables again. I restocked the firewood inside and am still stacking the trees we cut for next years heat. I will be working on that for a while yet. I’m guessing it will either help keep me young or kill me lifting all these logs..... I hadn’t gotten to all the pruning over winter, so I’m hoping to start on some of that today.its a little late in the season but the grapes and fruit trees are growing wild right now. Seems there is never enough time to get all the things done around here.

Just got half the greenhouse planted today. I put in spinach, lettuces, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, beets, carrots and something else but have CRS at the moment. (Can’t remember shit).... still feels good to work in the rich dirt anyways.
I need to open another pack of my prepping seed packs and find some more cool weather plants. I’d like to plant the rest of the available space in there tomorrow. Come on spring!

I'm disappointed in Amazon. I got my 2 #10 cans of butter powder and shortening powder, both where dented, one in 3 places and along the edge. I requested a replacement and they only gave you the option of both the item and the shipping box where damaged. The shipping box was perfect, only the cans where damaged. It seems they do that so the shipping company can be blamed. They deliberately send you damaged cans.

Just ordered approximately $400 worth of reloading goodies from Brownells. Got a notice of free shipping on order of $99 and 10% off entire order. Since I had already completed my comparison shopping, I knew what I wanted and what they had at the lowest price. So cut and pasted my order together and off it went. I had been holding off placing any orders, just waiting for a deal and along come one. I am one happy camper now. Now i am just waiting for more money to accumulate and another deal to show up at a few more selected places. Even back ordered items got the free shipping and discount, what more could you ask for. Plus no sales tax. YAY. I should be able to start testing MY reloads by the end of July or August. The chronograph I selected (Labrader) is a budget buster but the best option for me to use at a public range. All good things in time.

Welcome to the rabbit hole :D

Yes indeed. The more I research, the more it costs me. Granted there are less expensive ways to do basic reloading but I am an all or nothing kind of guy. So I have to be able to do it all and precision reloading does cost a bit more. Case trimmers, neck trimmers, primer pocket uniformiers, primer pocket cleaners, primer pocket reamers, hand primer, and the list continues to grow. Now I am looking at Salt Bath Annealing, there goes another $100 +. Too many fun things and not enough fun money. Patience is not one of my virtues. Oh well, it should keep me out of trouble, once I get to actually reloading.

This is all the equipment I ever needed for annealing...

Z2r6KtlcpEx_.JPG

And I did need it because my initial 30-06 brass supply was some WWII vintage surplus ammo which had gotten brittle.

I did check out the torch process but I liked the Salt Bath setup better. Plus the heating pot (melter) could be used for making cast lead bullets. Either way, just more stuff to buy.

I did check out the torch process but I liked the Salt Bath setup better. Plus the heating pot (melter) could be used for making cast lead bullets. Either way, just more stuff to buy.
This, and the time needed to learn the skills is why I haven’t tried this yet. At this point I feel for me that buying a stockpile is better. Wish I had someone close that I could learn from though.

Latest posts

Back