This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One 23-quart pressure canner is winging its way to me. Now I just need to convince my loved ones to give me canning jars as birthday/Yule presents :D
Congratulations! That sounds huge! I have one I love that does about 8 quarts at a time. Sometimes I have to do 2 or 3 batches, but that is pretty infrequent. Hope you get many good things cooking soon!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our heater was out. It was a dirty flame sensor ( never heard of it). We might look into getting our a/c air filter moved from our kitchen ceiling to the attic. The door to the filter always wants to come down. We have to secure it with postage tape. It’s a pain to change the filter. It will depend on how close they can get the filter to the attic door. Neither of us wants to go up in the attic for anything.

I think it’s cool to think about the history these coins have been through.
I was looking into the history of the U.S. Dollar, and our first "official" dollar coin was the "Milled Spanish Dollar" (AKA Pieces of Eight) which was technically a Spanish Peso, a silver coin marked Eight Reales, minted in the Spanish colonies and widely available in the colonies thanks to piracy of the Spanish galleons transporting the coins to Spain.
When the U.S. "Dollar" was defined by law, they took a number of Spanish Milled Dollars in circulation, weighed them, and got the average weight, then defined a "Dollar" as containing the same quantity of silver. Milled Spanish Dollars remained legal tender, concurrent with U.S. Silver Dollars until the Coinage Act of 1857.

One Reale coins were called "bits." But One Reale coins were rare in the colonies because only Eight Reale coins were shipped to Spain, so you made change by cutting the Eight Reale coin in halves, quarters and eighths (bits). This is why a quarter is called "two bits" and it's also why the Spanish Milled Dollars were sometimes called "Pieces of Eight." Earlier Eight Reale coins were crudely hammer struck instead of milled and are the ones portrayed in pirates movies.

The reason they were called "Spanish Dollars" was because it was of similar size to an earlier coin used by the colonists, the Dutch Daalder, also known as the "Lion Dollar" which itself was called a Daalder because it was of similar size to the Austrian "thaler" which was a widespread standard for silver coins in Europe ("Daalder" is the Dutch translation of "Thaler", "Dollar" is the English translation of "Daalder")

Hammer Struck Peso (Pirate's Pieces of Eight)
Sy1BUaU.png

Milled Peso (Spanish Milled Dollar or Pieces of Eight)
zourQZN.jpg

Daalder (Dutch Lion Dollar)
6rqwnp5.png

Austrian Thaler
OnWVBQd.png

Congratulations! That sounds huge! I have one I love that does about 8 quarts at a time. Sometimes I have to do 2 or 3 batches, but that is pretty infrequent. Hope you get many good things cooking soon!

Cheers, Doreena :D I'll be poring over recipes once it arrives - and once I've got a cooker to use it on!

Our heater was out. It was a dirty flame sensor ( never heard of it). We might look into getting our a/c air filter moved from our kitchen ceiling to the attic. The door to the filter always wants to come down. We have to secure it with postage tape. It’s a pain to change the filter. It will depend on how close they can get the filter to the attic door. Neither of us wants to go up in the attic for anything.

I hope you're able to get it sorted out. Malfunctioning and awkwardly sited items are a right pain in the arse.

I was looking into the history of the U.S. Dollar, and our first "official" dollar coin was the "Milled Spanish Dollar" (AKA Pieces of Eight) which was technically a Spanish Peso, a silver coin marked Eight Reales, minted in the Spanish colonies and widely available in the colonies thanks to piracy of the Spanish galleons transporting the coins to Spain.
When the U.S. "Dollar" was defined by law, they took a number of Spanish Milled Dollars in circulation, weighed them, and got the average weight, then defined a "Dollar" as containing the same quantity of silver. Milled Spanish Dollars remained legal tender, concurrent with U.S. Silver Dollars until the Coinage Act of 1857.

One Reale coins were called "bits." But One Reale coins were rare in the colonies because only Eight Reale coins were shipped to Spain, so you made change by cutting the Eight Reale coin in halves, quarters and eighths (bits). This is why a quarter is called "two bits" and it's also why the Spanish Milled Dollars were sometimes called "Pieces of Eight." Earlier Eight Reale coins were crudely hammer struck instead of milled and are the ones portrayed in pirates movies.

The reason they were called "Spanish Dollars" was because it was of similar size to an earlier coin used by the colonists, the Dutch Daalder, also known as the "Lion Dollar" which itself was called a Daalder because it was of similar size to the Austrian "thaler" which was a widespread standard for silver coins in Europe ("Daalder" is the Dutch translation of "Thaler", "Dollar" is the English translation of "Daalder")

Hammer Struck Peso (Pirate's Pieces of Eight)
Sy1BUaU.png

Milled Peso (Spanish Milled Dollar or Pieces of Eight)
zourQZN.jpg

Daalder (Dutch Lion Dollar)
6rqwnp5.png

Austrian Thaler
OnWVBQd.png
Really interesting bits of history Doc! Every coin has a unique story behind it and have always been fun to me to learn about. I used to have a pillar dollar, the second picture above. Nicknamed, as those are the pillars of Hercules. It was officially recognized as legal tender for the US before we started making our own coins.

One 23-quart pressure canner is winging its way to me. Now I just need to convince my loved ones to give me canning jars as birthday/Yule presents :D
I frequently ask for canning jars for birthday and Christmas. It is the one item that is always a given when my family has no clue what to get me and they know they will be used. I have quite a collection, but really I don't think you can ever have too many. I even store my dehydrated and freeze dried items in them now that I have an attachment to suck out air for my vacuum sealer.

I frequently ask for canning jars for birthday and Christmas. It is the one item that is always a given when my family has no clue what to get me and they know they will be used. I have quite a collection, but really I don't think you can ever have too many. I even store my dehydrated and freeze dried items in them now that I have an attachment to suck out air for my vacuum sealer.

Ah, that gives me hope - thank you :) They're quite pricey here in the UK, but building up my stock bit-by-bit (and gift-by-gift!) is the way forward.

Ah, that gives me hope - thank you :) They're quite pricey here in the UK, but building up my stock bit-by-bit (and gift-by-gift!) is the way forward.
The promise of filled jars of goodies is definitely one way to go . . . Hunnys boss sent me a case of 1/2 pint jars when he heard Mayhaws were starting to come in season. I got the hint. Some people give you your jars back but he prepared, others do not. People I know well, I threaten bodily harm, just saying ;)

Last edited:
I stock up when there is a sale, even bought some from Walmart on line. They run about a US dollar apiece. I agree with Danil, you can never have too many!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We been prepping all week getting ready for the weather. Been snowing since last night, supposed to go through next weekend, we should be going into the single digit tonight into the early morning, this should be our pattern for the week. It's a very dry snow about the size or in between a 50c piece and a silver dollar, we put the chains on last night, pump houses are warm and the stables ready.

We been prepping all week getting ready for the weather. Been snowing since last night, supposed to go through next weekend, we should be going into the single digit tonight into the early morning, this should be our pattern for the week. It's a very dry snow about the size or in between a 50c piece and a silver dollar, we put the chains on last night, pump houses are warm and the stables ready.
About the same here too Mav. We had rain all day yesterday, which is very unusual at our elevation, then it turned to snow. We've gotten about a foot of new snow so far today, and snow is expected every day for another week. I managed to push the snow banks a little further off the road yesterday so I'll have room for this new snow.
Even now the cattle are struggling to get to water, the shelter of the timber and their feeding area. The trails they use through the snow are half way up their backs. They could start calving any time now too.
I put an extra propane tank down at the pump house in case the big tank runs out. Next week we're supposed to get down to single digits and below zero.
Just about every day of the year in the mountains is about prepping for something. In summer we prep for winter, and in winter we prep for the next storm.

Just been to see a property well out on the Rhinns with plenty of pros: 1 acre of good grass; snug house with an oak kitchen; 3 loose boxes for horses; big greenhouse; big workshed with bags of space for bikes and car, a boxing ring (!) that I can change into my weights room, a utility room and a woodwork store; about 400 yards from the sea and good for shore-fishing. It's well within my budget and I'm going to go again at the end of the week :)

Cons: no woods around to speak of, as it's all farming up there; I'd need a more robust vehicle as my wee car managed the track but might struggle with a heavy load; income might be a bit thin on the ground.

Haven't gotten too much done around the new place lately. Darn car repairs taking all our extras lately. But did score some free cabinets. They may or may not replace the ones in the kitchen. If nothing else, will store then for future shop. Can always use cabinets.

Otherwise, just waiting til we have enough dough to get the electricity people to come connect us. Once we have some juice out there things will move much quicker.

Haven't gotten too much done around the new place lately. Darn car repairs taking all our extras lately. But did score some free cabinets. They may or may not replace the ones in the kitchen. If nothing else, will store then for future shop. Can always use cabinets.

Otherwise, just waiting til we have enough dough to get the electricity people to come connect us. Once we have some juice out there things will move much quicker.
I found solid wood cabinets tossed out on the side of the road shortly after buying this place. We ended up putting them in hunny workshop. It's hard to pass up that kind of deal and who can't use more storage options.

Today we went to the BIG city for hunnys referral from his doctor. His cancer is at a 7 with a 1 - 10 scale with his type of cancer but it is a positive outlook since it is localized and surgery will be scheduled most likely 2-3 weeks from now. Tomorrow we are expecting a phone call from his assistant with the next step.

So far the biggest issue that we will need to deal with is that hunny will not be able to lift over 10 lbs for 3 weeks. That is no big deal to me. Hunnys concern was that I will have to do all the feeding twice a day. As hunnys doctor pointed out at the visit was your wife looks strong enough. . . . Hunny is a good man to have my well being in mind. We just brought home 6000 lbs of feed yesterday to get ready for this surgery coming up and will probably do a top off before it actually happens. We still need to get more hay rounds. I want one added the day before we leave for surgery. Hunny will need to be staying over night and I will be staying there in the chair right beside him. Critters will just have to eat hay for a couple days. . . . sure it will only be a couple feedings but it will be forever got then. There are other issues but those are just things we will have to deal with as it is happening.

As for granny, my brother in law says that he will be available to come stay with her a couple days until we come back into town,

I work all the time now. It’s great financially but dosent leave much time for prepping! Such is life, you’re either poor with loads of time to relax and pursue hobbies or you’re making money and don’t have time to enjoy it! I guess there are worse problems to have. I’m going to do something really fun soon though. Don’t know what yet but soon....

Latest posts

Back