This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really wasn't trying for "cute" on the house design, but the wife told me that cute was ok. Thanks.
I love cute houses but I'm with these other southern latitude people on white fluffy stuff. Though I see how necessary it is if you don't get any rain. Reminds me of a project my dad had in Colorado, where they built canals for the snow-melt-runoff so they would have the water when they needed it.

I finished the totals of our business taxes finally! That took half the day, and I just email them over to our accountant, so I still don’t know exactly where we are at yet before she does her thing, but at least my part is done. About all I managed to do otherwise was restock the firewood and kindling inside. I have the wood stove ready to light in a few minutes. Looks like I will keep it going for the week here. We will see teens overnight in a couple days here. I’m sympathetic to Arctic about now. The news is saying people should go out and get supplies as we should get some snow/mix on Tuesday, all the way into downtown Atlanta. I thought about it and pretty much don’t need to go get anything. I’m glad I’ve been a prepper for a long time now.

Life around here is just at a stall in prepping. No garden once again this season, at least for now. Its half way thru kid season and I still have 4 mommas to go late Jan - Feb. My MIL needs much more help now. Getting her out of bed, fixing meals, getting up from chairs, bathing and so on. That has just started this week, but it causes me to be away from home a lot more.
Our other issues are my hunny back and neck issues sent him to the ER and we found out my husband has prostate cancer. It has not spread but he will need a robotic assisted radical prostatectomy. We've gone to all kinds of testing these last couple weeks now. Hoping to hear from the referral office by middle of next week.
We are still setting well with all of our previous prepping so we will be just fine there. You never know what life throws your way guys. . . Just always be prepared as best you can.

Life around here is just at a stall in prepping. No garden once again this season, at least for now. Its half way thru kid season and I still have 4 mommas to go late Jan - Feb. My MIL needs much more help now. Getting her out of bed, fixing meals, getting up from chairs, bathing and so on. That has just started this week, but it causes me to be away from home a lot more.
Our other issues are my hunny back and neck issues sent him to the ER and we found out my husband has prostate cancer. It has not spread but he will need a robotic assisted radical prostatectomy. We've gone to all kinds of testing these last couple weeks now. Hoping to hear from the referral office by middle of next week.
We are still setting well with all of our previous prepping so we will be just fine there. You never know what life throws your way guys. . . Just always be prepared as best you can.
You’ve got your hands full. I wish you the best

My son said something pretty profound to me yesterday. We were talking about saving for retirement. Most Americans think about putting financial resources away for when we get older. He said he wonders why more people don’t work on their health more, like exercise and eating healthier, to help themselves when they get older. Every now and then he really makes me proud.

Damn, I’m truly hoping the best for you all Danil and you’re right, never know what life throws your way :(

I hope everything goes well for y'all dealing with these health concerns. Sounds like it's quite a bit and all at once. Good luck!

Wow, you have things coming at you from multiple directions. I will put you on my prayer list! I am glad the cancer has not spread, that sounds like a good prognosis... you will be in my thoughts, and praying for the best results! Don’t forget to take care of yourself, too. Hugs from AL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow, you have things coming at you from multiple directions. I will put you on my prayer list! I am glad the cancer has not spread, that sounds like a good prognosis... you will be in my thoughts, and praying for the best results! Don’t forget to take care of yourself, too. Hugs from AL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Good point about don’t forget to take care of yourself too. My wife has been ill for a long time and it’s easy to forget about your own well being.

Hang in there! Early and contained is a good thing. Those surgeries are a lot better than they used to be. We’ll be praying for you both.

Two years ago, I mentioned about some volunteer collards that sprang up in the back yard around my compost heap.
http://www.doomsdayprepperforums.com/index.php?threads/plant-identification.8173/

Last year they sprang up again, but the weather got hot before they were big enough to harvest and they bolted. So I let them go to seed and harvested the seeds and dried them.

Well a couple of weeks ago, I prepared a small garden and planted the seeds...and now they are growing! I wasn't sure how many would germinate and ended up planting way too many for the size garden I planted them in. So today while the weather was nice, I enlarged the garden. I'll transplant some in the newly prepared ground when they get larger.

Oh, any my daughter figured out how it must have happened: When I clean out the bird cage, I dump all the poop and scattered bird seed in the compost heap. Usually some greens pop up from the seed but don't live long. We're thinking there were some collard seeds in the birdseed.

Last edited:
If anyone else out there has ever collected coins, I got one that I’ve wanted for a long time! It’s a draped bust quarter. Needless to say, it cost a little more than a quarter now. I look at coin collecting as a fun savings account. It’s better than the measley interest a savings account pays at least. Of course if shtf, you can’t eat them but I figure they will still have some trade value. Probably better than paper cash.

What a lot to take on at once. Wishing you all the best. I am glad you are a prepper. It doesn’t solve everything, but it does help some know you have your ducks in a row.

Congrats Brent, my oldest U.S. coin is a Seated Liberty half. But I have some foreign coins that were used as currency in the U.S. in the 1700s like Pieces of Eight and Lion Dollars (Dutch). My oldest coin is a Roman Denarius.
I’ve got some Roman coins that you would think would be valuable due to the age. US coins have been the most valuable for decades, even though not as rare in most cases. I think it’s cool to think about the history these coins have been through. One day I hope to complete a type set of the silver and copper US coins. Just one example of each type is still a tough thing to accomplish. Like I said earlier, it’s an interesting and tangible savings account.

If anyone else out there has ever collected coins, I got one that I’ve wanted for a long time! It’s a draped bust quarter. Needless to say, it cost a little more than a quarter now. I look at coin collecting as a fun savings account. It’s better than the measley interest a savings account pays at least. Of course if shtf, you can’t eat them but I figure they will still have some trade value. Probably better than paper cash.
I like collecting coins too. I've got all of the US gold coins, except for the $3 coin. Got a lot of silver coins too. Back when I was little my grandfather was digging a foundation near an old house and he dug up a metal chest full of Morgan silver dollars. There were several thousand of them in that box. He decided to split them up with family. I still have my share.
I also collect US paper currency, mostly large size bills. It's been awhile since I've aquired anything new. It might be time to start looking for that $3 gold coin again....

I like collecting coins too. I've got all of the US gold coins, except for the $3 coin. Got a lot of silver coins too. Back when I was little my grandfather was digging a foundation near an old house and he dug up a metal chest full of Morgan silver dollars. There were several thousand of them in that box. He decided to split them up with family. I still have my share.
I also collect US paper currency, mostly large size bills. It's been awhile since I've aquired anything new. It might be time to start looking for that $3 gold coin again....
Ebay gives a huge variety of options. You can compare prices and grades

Latest posts

Back