This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also got a few more canning jars this week, only 6 of the 1/2pint size though, it does take me up to nearly 200 canning jars.:D I've bought a few here and there over the last 5 or so years and it's surprising how quickly you can build up a good number.
Aldi have Pineapple and Mango on sale so I'm taking a trip out today to get some to can. We love canned fruit and eat a lot but because of the move there is nothing in the stores.

I also got a few more canning jars this week, only 6 of the 1/2pint size though, it does take me up to nearly 200 canning jars.:D I've bought a few here and there over the last 5 or so years and it's surprising how quickly you can build up a good number.
Aldi have Pineapple and Mango on sale so I'm taking a trip out today to get some to can. We love canned fruit and eat a lot but because of the move there is nothing in the stores.

You are starting to remind me of a lady I met on a short lived UK forum who was light years ahead of me when it came to food production and preservation, she and her hubby had bought an old vicarage a few miles from me with orchard and veg plot, I believe they were Mennonites, She was an absolute wizz at canning, jaring, bottling etc.

I haven't tried any fruit other than apples so far. They are great for applesauce, but the heat makes them softer than I like for pies. You got me wanting to experiment here!

I wish I did live in an old vicarage with an orchard and veg garden! I'm very lucky, my parents were country folk and taught me how to grow a good garden and keep a full larder. I love to can apples, but as stewed, I find you can still use them for a pie then and we're not so keen on applesauce.
I got some Pineapples, but the Mangoes weren't up to much, so I passed on them. I'll preserve them tomorrow. It's so easy to preserve fruit, you don't need any special kit, just the jars and a deep stock pot. The rewards are worth the effort as home canned fruit is divine.

I wish I did live in an old vicarage with an orchard and veg garden! I'm very lucky, my parents were country folk and taught me how to grow a good garden and keep a full larder. I love to can apples, but as stewed, I find you can still use them for a pie then and we're not so keen on applesauce.
I got some Pineapples, but the Mangoes weren't up to much, so I passed on them. I'll preserve them tomorrow. It's so easy to preserve fruit, you don't need any special kit, just the jars and a deep stock pot. The rewards are worth the effort as home canned fruit is divine.
How do you stew your apples? I'm always looking for new ways to preserve.
I am really fortunate to have a little land here to grow things on. It's 2.5 acres, which is more than enough to support several people. I always want a little more for a cow or pigs, but am smart enough to be greatful for what I do have.

How do you stew your apples? I'm always looking for new ways to preserve.
I am really fortunate to have a little land here to grow things on. It's 2.5 acres, which is more than enough to support several people. I always want a little more for a cow or pigs, but am smart enough to be greatful for what I do have.

To stew the apples I peel and core, then cut into rough chunks, don't be too precious about it. Then pop the chunks and about a cup of water into a pan and cook gently just until the apples start to break up. It only takes about ten minutes, if you want the Apples sweet add the sugar at the start of cooking or leave until you open the jar to use it, otherwise you end up breaking up the fruit too much and you end up with applesauce. I think variety of Apple is also a factor, I always use Bramley cooking Apples (the king of cookers as far as I'm concerned) it's a very old variety that when cooked is slightly fluffy and very juicy.
I have always wanted a plot big enough to grow all my own fruit and veg and maybe keep a few chickens. Maybe 1/4 acre or so.

To stew the apples I peel and core, then cut into rough chunks, don't be too precious about it. Then pop the chunks and about a cup of water into a pan and cook gently just until the apples start to break up. It only takes about ten minutes, if you want the Apples sweet add the sugar at the start of cooking or leave until you open the jar to use it, otherwise you end up breaking up the fruit too much and you end up with applesauce. I think variety of Apple is also a factor, I always use Bramley cooking Apples (the king of cookers as far as I'm concerned) it's a very old variety that when cooked is slightly fluffy and very juicy.
I have always wanted a plot big enough to grow all my own fruit and veg and maybe keep a few chickens. Maybe 1/4 acre or so.
You're right about 1/4 acre being able to produce enough if you lay it out right. Another good thing about having a smaller space is it's easier to stay on top of maintaining it. I have too much to keep up with here. The blueberries and blackberries are so overgrown it's sad. One mistake I made was my lawnmower won't fit between the blueberry rows. I would do a lot of things differently now. As they say, hindsight is always 20/20!

its quite surprising how people don't know what an acre or half an acre looks like, you see these London types on "escape to the country"(housing tv programme) and they always want "an acre so I can have a veg patch", they haven't a clue how big an acre is.

its quite surprising how people don't know what an acre or half an acre looks like, you see these London types on "escape to the country"(housing tv programme) and they always want "an acre so I can have a veg patch", they haven't a clue how big an acre is.
Where I live my 2.5 acres is one of the smaller properties around. I have more than enough space and useable land to do anything I'd ever want except pasture for large animals. Face it, with an unlimited budget we all would be set better than we are now. I'm better off than a lot, and not as well off as some too. Learning to make the best of what you have at the time is the best you can do.

So today we went to a 'prepper' show. Went to one put on by the same bunch several months ago and you had to wait for space to turn around. This morning, we went at opening time and it was 15 degrees outside, so there wasn't a lot of people there, lol.

All of that typing to say we picked up a Big Berkey water filter for less $ than Amazon. Also picked up a few piddly BOB things and such, plus I attracted the attention of a very attractive young Russian lady peddling tens units for your aching muscles.... wtf is thAt kinda crap at a prepper show for? She was cute though... lol....

They were also peddling stuff to keep leaves out of your gutters. Again, I say, wtf? And none of them were cute Russian girls.....

Lotsa bug out and edc stuff, some reasonable, some stupid expensive, some pretty good, some crap..... lots of tasers with flashlights, but after the Russian honey, my wife didn't need one of them.... lol.

So today we went to a 'prepper' show. Went to one put on by the same bunch several months ago and you had to wait for space to turn around. This morning, we went at opening time and it was 15 degrees outside, so there wasn't a lot of people there, lol.

All of that typing to say we picked up a Big Berkey water filter for less $ than Amazon. Also picked up a few piddly BOB things and such, plus I attracted the attention of a very attractive young Russian lady peddling tens units for your aching muscles.... wtf is thAt kinda crap at a prepper show for? She was cute though... lol....

They were also peddling stuff to keep leaves out of your gutters. Again, I say, wtf? And none of them were cute Russian girls.....

Lotsa bug out and edc stuff, some reasonable, some stupid expensive, some pretty good, some crap..... lots of tasers with flashlights, but after the Russian honey, my wife didn't need one of them.... lol.
you are lucky the wife didn't buy one and use it on you,,,,,,,DID YOU GET HER NUMBER;)

I, uh, no.... my wife was keeping a close eye on the proceedings.... besides, I'm old enough to be her dad.... did I tell ya that she was really cute? Lol...

nothing wrong with a little cradle robbing ,,,,,,,,,,,,you could have still got her number on the pretense of buying something in the future,,,,,,:D

Yeah, I have a thing for Russian girls too, among many other different cultures and nationalities....
I went to a gun/prepper show in Atlanta not too long ago. I didn't buy anything but enjoyed it. Did see all kinds of cool things though. One thing was a cook stove made from a metal ammo container. Congrats on the berkey though. I don't use mine as its for emergencies but have met many that use them daily. I have a charcoal filter for daily use. Did you get the newer plastic housed filters or the ceramic ones? Both are good but the ceramic are scrubable and last longer.

Ceramic filters. We got ours for emergencies as well, but are thinking about using it for daily use.

Latest posts

Back