This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried a number of power banks, both solar powered and not. This is BY FAR the best one I have used...and also the CHEAPEST! (currently $18.99) I have paid close to $100 for one power bank.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012CX3Z2C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
61QVrzyit-L._SL1000_.jpg

yeah they do have some decent stuff there.i have a battery charger,and a chain sharpener,for chain saws.the cheap one for sharpeners.but yet both are worth having..

At the moment I have 3 power banks. 2 big 20,000 mAh and ones and a smaller 6,000mAh for my bag. I'd like to get a couple more of the big ones, they are brilliant.

I've tried a number of power banks, both solar powered and not. This is BY FAR the best one I have used...and also the CHEAPEST! (currently $18.99) I have paid close to $100 for one power bank.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012CX3Z2C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
61QVrzyit-L._SL1000_.jpg
That looks just like the one I got, but black. The whole other side is LED lights that either stay on, flash or strobe. As I said, I'll use it mostly for the solar flashlight, as when I'm in a car I have a car charger for the phone allready.

When I am deer hunting, my phone is roaming and eats up the battery like crazy. My phone has a huge battery that will normally last two days, but on roaming will not last from dawn to dusk. Last time I was hunting, I forgot to charge my phone overnight, and it went dead mid morning. That 10,000 mAH power bank was in my shirt pocket and it got me through the day.

I always forget about the built in flashlight...but then I always have a flashlight in my pocket, and sometimes use the phone as a flashlight, so I have never needed it.

Nice, the one I have is pretty decent, but love the solar ability.

I've seen bricks of 500 in the past, but are rare now.

Starting to reappear! I have been walking into Walmarts for the last 8 years asking if they had any 22 ammo. After the election, I finally got the answer I've been waiting for: "SURE DO!" And pretty decently priced too...

Got home from town last night just before dark and went to start the generator and it caught fire at the plug. Apparently the adaptor cord I wired up to go from the generators 30 amp twist lock plug to the trailers 60 amp 4 prong plug came loose inside and shorted out causing the fire. Had to dig out the generator that powers the barn and connect it to the trailer. By the time I got everything moved around in the dark (had to heat the tractor before it would start, 5 degs) the trailer batteries were dead and it was pretty cold inside. Everything seems to be running fine now, but I don't like not having a backup power source.

Got home from town last night just before dark and went to start the generator and it caught fire at the plug. Apparently the adaptor cord I wired up to go from the generators 30 amp twist lock plug to the trailers 60 amp 4 prong plug came loose inside and shorted out causing the fire. Had to dig out the generator that powers the barn and connect it to the trailer. By the time I got everything moved around in the dark (had to heat the tractor before it would start, 5 degs) the trailer batteries were dead and it was pretty cold inside. Everything seems to be running fine now, but I don't like not having a backup power source.
It sure seems like your getting hammered this winter by Murphy himself! (I love murphys laws). No doubt that living where you are takes a certain amount of resilience.

It sure seems like your getting hammered this winter by Murphy himself! (I love murphys laws). No doubt that living where you are takes a certain amount of resilience.
Old Murphy does seem to be hanging around here a lot this winter. It helps to have a good sense of humor too. Some days I do question my sanity to try camping out here in the winter at my age. I'll be 60 in August. I will say that I have gotten in pretty good shape over this past year. One of the first projects I'll be working on this spring will be a reliable power source. I've got $40k budgeted for a solar power system. This will include a 12 kW Perkins diesel generator with a 10kw backup. The new house will be heated with wood with propane backup. The shop will also be heated with wood and have a propane backup. I've frozen my fingers and toes and got frost bite on my face and ears working on and maintaining equipment outside. Even with all these challenges, every time I look out and see the mountains, the trees and wildlife, I know I made the right choice. Can't imagine living anywhere else.

I think I need another Compound bow for the family, We have some 62 inch TD Recurves but they are so unwieldy so for short range I bought a Mathews Genesis Pro for home security and because its so bloody hard to change strings and wires on compounds I bought three what I consider disposable bows from Barnet the Banshee quads as emergency back up. Now wife is wanting to do more archery practice so I think its time for a second Genesis Pro and lots more 1820 spined arrows.

I'm also open to considering one of these ultra compact compound bows then are well under 24inches axis to axis if I can find one with a 20 to 30 pound draw weight range, so shout out if you see any please.

Old Murphy does seem to be hanging around here a lot this winter.
Tell me about it...:rolleyes:

So far this winter, I have lost my water heater, furnace, and the yard man (had a heart attack last week). His health had deteriorated to the point where I was having to help him, but he needed the money, which is the main reason I used him. Not much in the yard to do til spring now though, and the weather is warm so we can get by without the furnace for now. Still trying to find someone to fix the furnace that doesn't charge an arm and a leg and your first born...

So far this winter, I have lost my water heater, furnace, and the yard man (had a heart attack last week). His health had deteriorated to the point where I was having to help him, but he needed the money, which is the main reason I used him. Not much in the yard to do til spring now though, and the weather is warm so we can get by without the furnace for now. Still trying to find someone to fix the furnace that doesn't charge an arm and a leg and your first born...
If it's an old system sometimes it's cheaper to replace it. I'm far from an heating and air guy but I was able to install a new heat pump package unit myself. It's a little over 10 years old now, so when something goes bad with it that I can't figure out I will just buy a new one. I started budgeting for it about a year ago. The companies in this field are really high now. I guess I understand though. With my son and I in our small electrical company we charge a lot in my opinion. Then insurance, or workers comp, or a new transmission comes up and I realize you have to charge accordingly if you want to stay in business.

Sorry about the yard guy....

If it's an old system sometimes it's cheaper to replace it.
That's what the repair man said. So I got a quote. The quote for a new system was $1000-$2000 more than the repair depending on whether I went with a 80% or 90% efficiency unit. Waiting on a second (and maybe third) opinion...

What went out was the blower. But he CLAIMED that the heat exchanger might have a crack (common scam with HVAC companies) and refused to fix the blower. He estimated a cost for a new blower and heat exchanger and said I could get a new furnace for that amount of money, so I said give me a quote...then I had to wait for their "consultant" to come out for the quote. This all dragged out for nearly a week before I realized I was being taken to the cleaners.

That's what the repair man said. So I got a quote. The quote for a new system was $1000-$2000 more than the repair depending on whether I went with a 80% or 90% efficiency unit. Waiting on a second (and maybe third) opinion...

What went out was the blower. But he CLAIMED that the heat exchanger might have a crack (common scam with HVAC companies) and refused to fix the blower. He estimated a cost for a new blower and heat exchanger and said I could get a new furnace for that amount of money, so I said give me a quote...then I had to wait for their "consultant" to come out for the quote. This all dragged out for nearly a week before I realized I was being taken to the cleaners.
At least you are smart enough to question them. How many elderly widows do companies like these rip off daily? I do say that if your system is over ten years old then it's time to consider a new one. The energy efficiency alone will help with the replacement costs. I always tell people to get three estimates on bigger purchases. Go with the guy in the middle. You don't need the most expensive, and don't want the cheapest.

IMG_20170116_154655_burst_01.jpg
This is Callie with her new babes! It was her first so was impressed that she had twins. . . one looks like her and the other looks like their daddy. Both babies ate well and momma's instincts kicked in just fine. I was also able to start some transplants with some heirloom seeds. Placed on some shelves on the back porch right now since we are having some beautiful weather right now with highs in the mid to upper 70s. Hoping they will all take OK. If so, I will have 24 beefsteak tomatoes, 12 cherry tomatoes, 12 eggplant, 12 swiss chard, 24 green bells, & 12 more cabbage.

Latest posts

Back