This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been there too, it's horrible when all your efforts are for naught. I always used to get to double guessing myself, wondering if I had done something different maybe I would have had a success. Unfortunately sometimes it's just not meant to be and it's the worst feeling in the world, especially if you had plans for the beast.

A milk machine is very nice to have around! Even when it isn't working properly, you can normally still get it to go with one finger, sometimes a screwdriver depending on how hard the slide thing is to move. Done many a times but it sure beats milking by hand! It is also a lot cleaner. . . even though you hose down and wash teats down, it always seems like they need to take a poop at milking time and unless you have a poop shoot rigged or are very quick about it, your milking effort goes to waste for your consumption. . . always good for the hogs though.
This spring I'm going to start looking for a young Jersey heifer. She'll become the family milk cow. We'll make our own butter and cheese along with plenty of fresh milk. Any excess will go to the hogs.

i got 2 types of preps/non-preps today..first i got a extra box of band aids at dollar general...it'll go into my 1st aid bag of supplies..the 2nd,is two totes,in which one is under the bed tote..the other has a hinged lid that latches shut..and yes i'll take pic's later..lol

This spring I'm going to start looking for a young Jersey heifer. She'll become the family milk cow. We'll make our own butter and cheese along with plenty of fresh milk. Any excess will go to the hogs.
This is just a suggestion . . . I would freeze my cream in IceCube trays when I was not needing to make butter. You get about 2Tablespoons depending on the trays you use. Its nice to have extra on hand for cooking and butter making when you are not milking. With a Jersey, you will get plenty of cream. I always enjoy making cheese. You just cannot beat it and the price of even a good cheddar at the store is outrageous!

This is just a suggestion . . . I would freeze my cream in IceCube trays when I was not needing to make butter. You get about 2Tablespoons depending on the trays you use. Its nice to have extra on hand for cooking and butter making when you are not milking. With a Jersey, you will get plenty of cream. I always enjoy making cheese. You just cannot beat it and the price of even a good cheddar at the store is outrageous!
Around here whole milk sells for around 11.00. I think a cow is a really good investment.

Norm dressed out at a little over 640 lbs of meat. Right now it is all frozen but as I have time I will get some hamburger &stew meat canned up along with some different soups. Some of the roast will get turned into jerky and hamburger cooked then dehydrated for beef rocks. Remove as much grease off first by rinsing and drying off with paper towel then dehydrate. Used in soups is not too bad. The grease is what will turn your meat bad.

i think thats why,that batch of stew,that i canned one time,fermitted.but not sure..
Remove as much grease off first by rinsing and drying off with paper towel

here's the totes i got yesterday..the under the bed tote is already filled.and put away..now to decide on,what's going into the other one..

DSCN1853.JPG DSCN1855.JPG

i think thats why,that batch of stew,that i canned one time,fermitted.but not sure..

here's the totes i got yesterday..the under the bed tote is already filled.and put away..now to decide on,what's going into the other one..

View attachment 6432 View attachment 6433
A little bit of fat in canned goods is OK, dehydrating is a big no-no though. My guess would be your seal of the lid. Oxygen getting in would cause it to ferment and go rancid. I would think that most stew meat that you buy at the store would already have the majority of fat cut off.

Just replaced my EDC knife again, turning into an annual event, this time I'm carrying an Emerson design Kershaw made CQC 3K
I got a new gerber multi tool from Santa. It's a little nicer than my old one, which just got donated to my bob. It's not really as good as a regular knife, but with all the extras it has I prefer to carry it. I really like having pliers, wire cutters, screwdrivers etc. as well as two knives with me at all times.

I got a new gerber multi tool from Santa. It's a little nicer than my old one, which just got donated to my bob. It's not really as good as a regular knife, but with all the extras it has I prefer to carry it. I really like having pliers, wire cutters, screwdrivers etc. as well as two knives with me at all times.

I love my Gerber Multi Plier its the one I inevitably end up reaching for even though I have managed to collect and 6 different types over the years. But I still EDC a folding knife.

got a letter from the reserve unit;your application is ok,you only need to pass the physical and attend two weekends for training and it's a go....
do I get some support from my closest? nope,they still think it's for preps of war,when it's not,it's to show that we have the will and means to defend us,even if I'm just gonna be a combat medic
...and my bro asked me,aren't you kinda old to play in the woods??
the only one who cheered me was my former class mate,she thought it was great.

got a letter from the reserve unit;your application is ok,you only need to pass the physical and attend two weekends for training and it's a go....
do I get some support from my closest? nope,they still think it's for preps of war,when it's not,it's to show that we have the will and means to defend us,even if I'm just gonna be a combat medic
...and my bro asked me,aren't you kinda old to play in the woods??
the only one who cheered me was my former class mate,she thought it was great.
That's great! I've often thought I'd like to join the reserves here. I think I'm too old now though, even with deducting my active duty time. I like the idea of being in the 'know' during an emergency, and who better than law enforcement, guard or reserve.

and if I pass the physical,they will issue the proper gear for, not the rifle though :( , to keep at home....
but being in the active reserve will qualify me for a semi-auto 7,62 :)
I couldn't be happier for you, other than having to get ready for the PT! I'll play the rocky theme song for you though!

Got 2 more cases of pint mason jars and 24 packs of lids while at Walmart today. I'm increasing my canning supplies a little with each grocery trip now. My gut feeling tells me to get more prepared.
One cool thing about all the preps I've been working on became clear to me today. We have ice and snow coming in and there was a run on the grocery stores. No bread or milk in sight! (Still don't know why people always stock up on those two things the most). Anyways, I looked around to see what I needed in case we can't get out for a few days. I realized that there's nothing I had to get. I had to go get a script for the wife, which put me at the grocery, but am set pretty good otherwise. Funny, the news advised that people here have three days worth of food and water. Are you kidding! I think that if you don't have three to six months worth you are not prepared.

Yep. People aren't prepared for anything. The grocery stores here got pounded starting last night. Yes, it's colder than everything, but that's about it....

We wiped out the 'end of season - let's get rid of the canning supplies' last fall. Should be set until we rinse and repeat next summer.

For the milk and bread part, a guy I used to work with always said 'milk and bread?... I buy beer and cigarettes - you gotta have the staples of life'

i just got back a lil ago from our primary shopping.in which it's all put away.milk n bread are 2 things we dont need,for now.i brought in my 55 gallon barrel,and put it in the bathroom,then filled with water.just in case the pipes do freeze..

p.s. edit..i did forget canning lids.and i do need some,before i start canning..

Latest posts

Back