This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My milk cow Betsey's udders are getting full. . . but she hasn't swollen on the back side yet. so it will still be some time. Went ahead and separated her and her yearly out into a new pasture to get away from the bulls. When she gets closer, we'll put Norm back in with the others. Hoping for a little heifer!! Betsey is getting up in her years and this just might be her last season.

Weeeeell.... We went to the beach last weekend, but it was a much needed respite. I have canned more pickles, snap beans and pasta sauce.

Mosquitos!!!!!! We've got hordes of them and I think Vick's vapor rub is the way to go. A little on the ankles, behind the knees, inside the elbow, and on the neck seems to do the trick & it's cheap. You can't sneak up on anyone, but it's the best thing that I've found.

Mosquitos!!!!!! We've got hordes of them and I think Vick's vapor rub is the way to go.

Really!? I've never heard of trying that. But we'll try it. My wife says she's heard that eucalyptus works....I think there's eucalyptus in Vicks? Fortunately, our mosquitos are almost non-existent right now, cause we're so dry. Nearly 3 months since our last real rain.

My milk cow Betsey's udders are getting full. . . but she hasn't swollen on the back side yet. so it will still be some time. Went ahead and separated her and her yearly out into a new pasture to get away from the bulls. When she gets closer, we'll put Norm back in with the others. Hoping for a little heifer!! Betsey is getting up in her years and this just might be her last season.
I'm so jealouse! I know it's a lot of work to keep a large animal like that, but I really want a milking cow. The benefits are so worth while. I'm really wanting to learn cheese making. There are locals that sell fresh milk here, but want 11.00 a gallon. Sorry, I don't want to learn that bad. Good luck with her.

Really!? I've never heard of trying that. But we'll try it. My wife says she's heard that eucalyptus works....I think there's eucalyptus in Vicks? Fortunately, our mosquitos are almost non-existent right now, cause we're so dry. Nearly 3 months since our last real rain.
Ouch, three months! With the heat here if it dosent rain for two weeks it starts to wreak havoc on the plants. I drag a hose often. This year has been good mostly. Yesterday we broke during the heat of the day and then went back in the afternoon. Just as we got all the tools laid out it rained so hard you couldn't see ten feet away. Then in a few minutes it was gone. I guess it was mother natures way of making sure we were cooled off enough....

You guys ever thought about using washout till you can do a concrete floor? Lots cheaper. . . We used it in the milk parlor and just laid down one of those big rubber mats found at Tractor Supply. It makes cleanup a breeze. Only bad thing about it is that it will need to be replaced over time.
I like to use whatever is available or recycled. If you go to the big box stores they usually sell the broken bags of concrete for 1/2 off to a dollar. I've used them a lot! After collecting several over time you can just dump them out and mix in place with a garden rake and a garden hose. For regular walking and even parking a regular car, 2" thick is fine. When you trowel it out smooth you can't tell the difference from discounted material vs a pros charging price.

we have here in Finland an org MPK,an semi-independent defence organisation with very close ties to the army,who organizes different types of courses and I took and signed up for a 3 day SERE course next month,it's a three part thing, next two will be winter and urban parts.
already looking forward to it....and that winter part,just love freezing my butt off again...

We buy the stuff by the ton. . . it was $2 but has gone up to $2.50 now when they changed ownership. We have it on all of our driveways and our road thru the property. When going into the cow pastures and the spot right before the milking parlor get MUDDY after a good rain with all the traffic and weight of the cows. Plus threw the small gateway that leads from the small pasture to the big one. This gets leveled out with the skid steer and more washout added in periodically. I have sunk down in the mud to my knees before and have gotten totally stuck until I can wiggle myself free! When you got a hungry bull heading your way cause you got a feed bucket it tow it can get you hustlin, not that he wants to hurt you but he doesn't know his own weight . . . Yep that's a workout!! Now that we have added washout a few times now, don't sink down as much thank goodness. Love the stuff.

We buy the stuff by the ton. . . it was $2 but has gone up to $2.50 now when they changed ownership. We have it on all of our driveways and our road thru the property. When going into the cow pastures and the spot right before the milking parlor get MUDDY after a good rain with all the traffic and weight of the cows. Plus threw the small gateway that leads from the small pasture to the big one. This gets leveled out with the skid steer and more washout added in periodically. I have sunk down in the mud to my knees before and have gotten totally stuck until I can wiggle myself free! When you got a hungry bull heading your way cause you got a feed bucket it tow it can get you hustlin, not that he wants to hurt you but he doesn't know his own weight . . . Yep that's a workout!! Now that we have added washout a few times now, don't sink down as much thank goodness. Love the stuff.
The price is great even with the increase. I swear I must have 12" of gravel in my drive. Every rainy season it sinks a little. It is pretty good now, but took years!

The price is great even with the increase. I swear I must have 12" of gravel in my drive. Every rainy season it sinks a little. It is pretty good now, but took years!
I have to start putting gravel on my driveway before it rains too. I've budgeted for 80 loads this year. Most of the driveway has a good rock base already but about a mile or so is pretty rough and washed out in places. Also I cut another 1/4 mile to the house site and barn that has no gravel. We'll be adding more gravel every year to keep up on the washouts and ruts.

View attachment 6006
We almost got the first floor walls done today. It won't be too much to finish tomorrow morning. It is nice having my son help, as this is really for him anyways. It sure would be nice to just hire someone, but not in the financial cards for me, so sweat equity is going to have to do. Here's a couple Picts of the progress.View attachment 6005
Nice! I'm a long way from where you are with my shop. Last night I decided to set the shop back a little further in the hill to make it easier to pull in to from the driveway. I need the fill for the house site anyway. We might be able to start pouring concrete this week. I'll post some pics when the concrete work is done.
I'm also a little envious that you have your son there to help you.

Nice! I'm a long way from where you are with my shop. Last night I decided to set the shop back a little further in the hill to make it easier to pull in to from the driveway. I need the fill for the house site anyway. We might be able to start pouring concrete this week. I'll post some pics when the concrete work is done.
I'm also a little envious that you have your son there to help you.
I really wish we had your cooler temps here. The heat in the middle of the day is brutal. We are moving along and see progress every day, but still have to break during the middle of the day. We will set the floor joists for the upstairs today. I'll get a couple more Picts when we go back out. Wish you were closer, we could help each other out.

I have to start putting gravel on my driveway before it rains too. I've budgeted for 80 loads this year. Most of the driveway has a good rock base already but about a mile or so is pretty rough and washed out in places. Also I cut another 1/4 mile to the house site and barn that has no gravel. We'll be adding more gravel every year to keep up on the washouts and ruts.
If I had known what I know now, I would have poured concrete to begin with. I think it would have been cheaper than load after load of rock.

If you have an asphalt plant close to you , you should call and ask if they have "millings" that they would be willing to sell or give to you. Milling is just the ground up old asphalt that they've removed from roads. It's great to use for driveways because it spreads out dry, like fine stone, but after it gets warm from the summer heat and you drive on it a bit, it'll compact. It's not quite as hard as asphalt, but it's a great alternative for asphalt, stone or concrete and a lot more budget friendly.

I really wish we had your cooler temps here. The heat in the middle of the day is brutal. We are moving along and see progress every day, but still have to break during the middle of the day. We will set the floor joists for the upstairs today. I'll get a couple more Picts when we go back out. Wish you were closer, we could help each other out.
We got up 72 today and 30% humidity which is kind of high for here.

If you have an asphalt plant close to you , you should call and ask if they have "millings" that they would be willing to sell or give to you. Milling is just the ground up old asphalt that they've removed from roads. It's great to use for driveways because it spreads out dry, like fine stone, but after it gets warm from the summer heat and you drive on it a bit, it'll compact. It's not quite as hard as asphalt, but it's a great alternative for asphalt, stone or concrete and a lot more budget friendly.
I hadn't thought about that. I've used millings on some job sites before. Our nearest asphalt plant is about 50-60 miles away I think. In some parts of the driveway I'll still need to add heavy rock for a base but the cuttings would make a good cover. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the tip.

I think I would call the nearest town or city and also call DOT to see if they may be milling nearby. They may give them to you instead of having to get rid of it themselves.

I hadn't thought about that. I've used millings on some job sites before. Our nearest asphalt plant is about 50-60 miles away I think. In some parts of the driveway I'll still need to add heavy rock for a base but the cuttings would make a good cover. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the tip.
I have millings on my drive here. I got them from a friend when they were redoing a road close by, so it was a good deal. Now they recycle them, so some areas charge a lot for them. They do make a great drive though. Mine pack down with the summer heat and re solidify really well. I've heard you can spray a little diesel fuel on them and they re melt together even better. It's been several years and is still in good shape. I'd look into the cost When comparing options.

Hmm. What do you suppose 2-1/2 miles of concrete would cost? That's how long my driveway is.
That's about 521 yards per mile. Just do the math with local costs, but I'd be sitting down first.... You also might want to factor in a couple of 20 yr olds as that's a lot of mud to screed and trowel.

Latest posts

Back