Enough doom and gloom, what are you getting others for Christmas?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a great choice in gifts Gaz. I like thoughtful gifts like that. Something from the heart like this means so much more (to most people) than some plastic poc from China Mart.

I agree, and I drop the ball on that often enough, as I'm not usually a mushy kind of guy, so trying to make up for it a bit with this holiday, especially being the first Christmas since our son's tragedy. Trying to do all I can to keep her spirits up.

I found some photos she didn't know about (or recall) of him on an old laptop. I'm going to print some of those in Black & White, and put them in a nice frame for her (as well as just print them all in a few sizes, etc. - as she's a scrapbooker, so I'm sure she'll want to put them in a book).... the frame is one we got previously for family photos (and matches the decor of the living room really well), but never fleshed out yet, so I think it would be nice to instead have it be a memorial of him for her.

We have a very traditional pre to early 20th century Christmas, we make each other the gifts, useful things that can be used everyday, the kids, grand kids and us old people get in on it, we all listen to Christmas music blaring on the outdoor/indoor speakers, drinking Egg Nog with rum, brandy and blended whisky (Pennsylvania Dutch) while working in the shop (except the younger grandkids, just eggnog)

That is amazing!

Me and the Wife have to put some thought into what We get each other , and the Grand Kids We have to do some research and find out what They want but the Kids (grown up now) get cash .

Elfster.com makes it pretty easy. It's also great for knowing what they want for birthdays, etc. throughout the year. Our family and friends swear by this (those that don't, well, they get guesses.....)

I remember getting all excited over a piece of plywood with wheels on it. A pedal car would have been beyond my imagination.

I had built one (in my tweens), that used ropes on each side to steer the front axle. I used small bike wheels in the back (like BMX size) from an old broken bike, and wheelbarrow wheels in the front. I had used a plastic seat from a chair (removed the legs) as the driver seat. It lasted a while, but eventually, the elements rotted the already repurposed wood, and the metal parts rusted. Still, it was a lot of fun, as we had a lot of hills where I was during this. I even had headlights on it (two lantern battery style ones), though I never really used them.

(after about a week, I figured out I needed a brake, so this was basically a Big Wheel style handle brake against the back wheel. (it was kind of tricky, as you had to have the steering "reins" with one hand, when braking). That's when I made foot pegs on the front axle to steer instead (talk about your "duh" inspired innovations....), after I took a tumble and had to make repairs to it.

Latest posts

Back