Enough doom and gloom, what are you getting others for Christmas?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazrok

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
While the wife and I are generally pretty practical with each other, I do have a few golden rules I like to follow...

1. I always get her at least one jewelry item. Typically, it's a few items, nothing too crazy mind you, but has to be real, as the fake stuff tarnishes on her quickly.

2. I always try and get her at least one really sentimental gift. Something that shows a lot of thought and effort. In this case, I'm trying for two. One is one of those books that illustrates what you love about someone, hardback, and personalized. (Lovebookonline.com). It's pretty damn cool, and should make her cry (which is the goal here, but tears of happiness, etc.). The second, is I found a pretty good pic of all of us (including our deceased son), that (with a bit (OK, a LOT) of editing) should eventually be the big family portrait she always wanted us to do (that his work schedule never really allowed for). So getting that done, and in a nice frame, etc.

3. We are board game fanatics, so I try and get her at least one new game or an expansion for an existing one we have. These aren't your normal Monopoly, etc. games, but very complex ones (and generally start at about $40 each or more).

4. Stockings are like a little mini Christmas. Little odds and ends that we know everyone likes. It can take an hour just for all of us to go through our stockings (youngest to oldest).

Really, the wife and I are kind of getting ourselves that fancy Shark vacuum, the one on TV that sucks up pool balls, and doesn't get tangled with pet hair. That's just something we NEED vs. want. We have burned out numerous ones, even pricier ones, trying to do this.

Our daughter just wants a lot of household stuff, but we'll get her some fun stuff too. Like us, she's a big geek, so it's fun to shop for her.

It's going to be a rough holiday without our boy, but I'm hoping we can find a little joy during it.

So what are all of you guys getting your spouses, family, etc.?

youngest son; books
middle one ; a fancy flash light
oldest one ;still thinking,but to his new family Santa will bring some legos
to my nephew ; a sled,

for me and the other adults,don't know,just want some peace of mind,good food and health

ps. I did get for me all seasons of Star Trek Voyager ;)

The wife won't be here for Christmas this year. But when she comes home in January we should be moving in to the new house. Other than a new house, all new appliances and new furniture I don't have a clue what to get her. I need some help here.
For my daughter I paid some of her medical bills and gave her half a hog.
I gave my son the other half of the hog.
Not sure what to get the grandkids yet.

The wife won't be here for Christmas this year. But when she comes home in January we should be moving in to the new house. Other than a new house, all new appliances and new furniture I don't have a clue what to get her. I need some help here.

Get the grandkids new four wheelers!

On Christmas Eve, we always get new jammies and watch Its a Wonderful Life

Since my son will always believe in Santa, we do the same routine we have been for 25 years.

The kids go first wi the stockings. Our stocking are weird stuff like chapstick, nail files, playing cards, etc.

They pass out all the gifts, but they go first. The opens one then she does. They usually have about 10 each. He loves movies so i record lots of dvds for him. Hers have become more house hold products and clothing now that she's married.

The son in law goes next. He doesn't get as many because lots of the gifts are for them both.

Then it's my mom. She usually gets jewelry and clothing.

Then my husband, he's getting a new office chair, shoes, clothes, and a non stick fry pan because he hates what we have.

I'm last and I am getting clothes from my daughter because I never shop and my son has a little store at school where they "buy" gifts for the family. I get quite a few presents.

Oh, we always get new toothbrushes for every holiday.

Last edited by a moderator:

Year before last I redid the kitchen with new appliances so I considered that my present. One year I got a generator, one a pressure washer, one a tiller. I'm not a jewelry or girly type person

Ok, as a prepper I would appreciate half a hog, but seriously, you’ve gotta do better for the wife. Lol. No livestock....

We have a very traditional pre to early 20th century Christmas, we make each other the gifts, useful things that can be used everyday, the kids, grand kids and us old people get in on it, we all listen to Christmas music blaring on the outdoor/indoor speakers, drinking Egg Nog with rum, brandy and blended whisky (Pennsylvania Dutch) while working in the shop (except the younger grandkids, just eggnog) We all helping each other out in the shop except we don't help on our own gift, we all get the material 6 months in advance, 40 days before Christmas we start (at a slow pace) December 10th it's full on for a few hours a day till the 24th. When Lisa and her kids joined us on my family (me and the kids/grandkids) Christmas I know for a fact they thought they were in the twilight zone oh the look on the faces, took her kids about 2 years to figure us out and that be Family and Heart not things and money. We all have fun! The Star gets plugged in on the 18th, 12:01am Christmas Day the Tree comes on, 6am we all eat breakfast, 10am gifts get open as Christmas dinner is cooking, Dinner at 2:30.

Though this year for the first time Lisa and I been together we purchased each other gifts though we cheated, we picked out our own gifts though exchanged in private.

We have a very traditional pre to early 20th century Christmas, we make each other the gifts, useful things that can be used everyday, the kids, grand kids and us old people get in on it, we all listen to Christmas music blaring on the outdoor/indoor speakers, drinking Egg Nog with rum, brandy and blended whisky (Pennsylvania Dutch) while working in the shop (except the younger grandkids, just eggnog) We all helping each other out in the shop except we don't help on our own gift, we all get the material 6 months in advance, 40 days before Christmas we start (at a slow pace) December 10th it's full on for a few hours a day till the 24th. When Lisa and her kids joined us on my family (me and the kids/grandkids) Christmas I know for a fact they thought they were in the twilight zone oh the look on the faces, took her kids about 2 years to figure us out and that be Family and Heart not things and money. We all have fun! The Star gets plugged in on the 18th, 12:01am Christmas Day the Tree comes on, 6am we all eat breakfast, 10am gifts get open as Christmas dinner is cooking, Dinner at 2:30.

Though this year for the first time Lisa and I been together we purchased each other gifts though we cheated, we picked out our own gifts though exchanged in private.

Wonderful

We use Elfster.com for friend gift exchanges, it's helpful, avoids duplicate presents, and gives you a variety of stuff and info so you know what to get them. Makes it much easier....IF they bother and fill it all out correctly, and put realistic stuff on it. We basically just do a secret santa for friend gifts, so nobody is out a lot of dough, but we can all still be in on the fun. We put a $50 limit on it, so nobody goes crazy on it.

Order wise, we all do stockings first, then open gifts, one each, starting with the youngest, and so on, then starting back with the youngest for the next gift.

On Christmas Eve, we typically open one (designated) present. It's usually pajamas or some other kind of Christmas clothing to wear the next day. While opening gifts, we usually have A Christmas Story on in the background, though Elf is another one, or National Lampoon's Christmas....oh, and of course, the Star Wars Holiday Special (which is a complete and utter crap fest, but it's now tradition.....if you've never seen this horrid piece of garbage....well, it's worth it just to see how bad it is, even if you are a big SW fan like I am....)

Latest posts

Back