Canning

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well.i now have 7 pints of chili.this evening,i'll go ahead cook n can spaghetti,with the sauce.on account the sauce expired Nov 05 2015...View attachment 5934 canning is such fun..
I agree, it's really satisfying to be able to produce and preserve your own food. I've got 14 more minutes right now for 18 pints of white potatoes to be done. I'm using the new pressure cap for the first time today. It was set for ten lbs, so I wrapped a little bit of copper wire around it to get it at 11psi. Working great now! The potatoes I tried to nuke the othe night had to be gotten rid of. Luckily the dogs and rooster seemed to like 'smokey' flavored potatoes. Sucks to trash something that so much effort went in. I'm sure they were safe to eat, but I'd have to be pretty darned hungry to resort to those. I finished picking all the potatoes today. I had enough to can some, will have enough to plant a second crop near the end of summer, and should have enough to last three months or so. I'm definately planting potatoes every season from now on. They produced a lot of food.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
i

thats something i plan on canning in 1 quart jars..
I almost went with quarts, but it's just me and the wife here. She dosent eat a lot with her stomache issues, so pints just make more sense. I like to mix a jar of the green beans and potatoes together. I did notice I'm just about out of pint jars though, so I'll use quarts soon. I have a crap load of apples this year, and am actually going to get peaches from what it looks like. Peaches were so difficult to learn to get them to produce, I almost cut them all down!
well.i now have 7 pints of chili.this evening,i'll go ahead cook n can spaghetti,with the sauce.on account the sauce expired Nov 05 2015...View attachment 5934 canning is such fun..
where did you find a dancing pickle, or banana?

i did a web search for down loadable smileys..and that's how i came across the banana..

im hoping that i figure this right.do i pressure cook the spaghetti n sauce for 20 minutes?

i did a web search for down loadable smileys..and that's how i came across the banana..

im hoping that i figure this right.do i pressure cook the spaghetti n sauce for 20 minutes?
Morning Jim. I'm not sure, espechially since the sauce was pre made. One issue with tomato products is they don't last long, two years is when I toss mine to the rooster. That might be a good question for danilgrl. My take on canning though is better safe than sorry. If your not sure, don't do it. So far I've stuck to published recipes. I had a few green beans I picked yesterday and made 6 pints of spicy dill beans last night. I like em better than regular pickles.

I love Dilly Beans too, though I prefer mine sweet and garlicky.
Home preserving in the UK is not done at all apart from jam making, that is quite popular.

I love Dilly Beans too, though I prefer mine sweet and garlicky.
Home preserving in the UK is not done at all apart from jam making, that is quite popular.
I actually need to learn about jelly/jams. I grow grapes, muscadines mostly, for wine, but have so much currently that I need a new use for this years fruit. I was allready planning to make a lot or grape juice. I love canning, it gives me a sense of independence to know that I can make and preserve food.

I actually need to learn about jelly/jams. I grow grapes, muscadines mostly, for wine, but have so much currently that I need a new use for this years fruit. I was allready planning to make a lot or grape juice. I love canning, it gives me a sense of independence to know that I can make and preserve food.

You must be slacking, Brent. You're obviously not drinking it fast enough!LOL.

I cannot think of much more satisfying than gazing upon row upon row of home produced preserves, especially if the produce is home grown.;)

You must be slacking, Brent. You're obviously not drinking it fast enough!LOL.

I cannot think of much more satisfying than gazing upon row upon row of home produced preserves, especially if the produce is home grown.;)
The problem is, the alcohol content in this stuff is double what's in the stores (govt regulations). So about one glass a night (small one) is about all I drink now days. I like coffee in the morning to get me going and a glass of red wine to put me down at night.
I'll let you know how jam making turns out, but gazing on 100 gallons of wine ain't too bad either :).

i got to thinking about all the black berry vines in my immediate area..then i looked in my ball canning book for canning ideas.i now know that i can make n can blackberry jam.but im still wondering.can the be canned as is?that way we'd have them for blackberry pies,to what ever..

i got to thinking about all the black berry vines in my immediate area..then i looked in my ball canning book for canning ideas.i now know that i can make n can blackberry jam.but im still wondering.can the be canned as is?that way we'd have them for blackberry pies,to what ever..
I simply rinse and freeze them in ziplock baggies. I do that for both blueberries and blackberries. They both turn out great in pies anytime during the coming year.

great idea.but we have only one freezer.and that means limited freezer space..
A lot of people forget how good freezing is for preservation. Having some room in the freezer helps a lot though. Go thru and inspect what's in there. Odds are something has been in there too long and can make some space.

thats what i did,when i canned the chicken we have.. :)

p.s. edit..that and i dont want the chicken to go bad from freezer burn

We aren't going to get much out of our garden this year to can, except for maybe some peppers and possibly some tomatoes. When my wife comes home in a couple of weeks we're going to start buying everything needed for caning and making sauces. Until our garden starts producing next year we'll go down south to the farming areas and buy in bulk the things we want to can. Looking forward to canning some fish this Fall too.

here's what i found on tattler lid.and this means i'll have another look for them at wal mart

https://search.f-secure.com/operators/search?query=tattler lid&fs_p=&fs_uo=plugin
I hadn't ever seen them at Walmart, but am not suprised that they are online there. I'll try my 12 rings out on the next batch soon and let you know what I think. The regular lids, with no bands, are really cheap to stock up on. They can safely be used two or three times as well. I bought about fifteen packs at wallmart the other day for just over a dollar each. I will try to gather a few more tattler packs too, just in case I ever see a time when we have no Walmart to go to.

Latest posts

Back