Canning

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim, I think I saw the other day that your canner did not have a gauge, the weight can have 3 holes in it one for 5,10,15 lbs if I am not wrong. If so then you just set by your canning book or by canner recommendations.

i've relocated the booklet that came with it.and i can control the pressure in it with the pressure regulator..

i got a lesson well learned,a lil while ago..i opened a can of the stew..it's no longer any good..i dumped 7 jars of stew..oh well.a lesson learned.from the mistakes

dont be :)..its a lesson well learned...a person dont learn to ride a bike by not trying..but thanks.. :p

Damn brother I hate to hear that! Better than time in the hospital. Steep learning curve. Oh well we all done it, we live, we learn, correct our mistakes, then do better next time!

Good luck, be safe, and God bless! ;)

store bought (small) baby carrots celery onion beef tips and other stuff..and of course,stew seasoniong...

You want to talk about crying over spilled milk - I did about 8 qts one time and every one of them fermented, even though I cooked the stew for about 2 hours until it was tender - before I put it in jars that were boiled. First thing mom said was that you either have to use a pressure cooker type jar holder for about an hour after cooking it and putting it in the jar, or you have to put it in the jar and immerse it in the boiling water for about another 2 to 3 hours - which kind of defeats the purpose of cooking it in the first place.

Solution was to use store bought already canned carrots or not use carrots at all!

The other night I was in a hurry to cook supper for my brother and I got out a jar of deer meat back straps that I had canned and I put them into a qt of fresh - this years - tomato spaghetti sauce and boiled it for about a half an hour until he got here.
He swore that it was beef!
The medallions I cut shrunk to about the size of beef tips and were so tender - you didn't need a knife to cut them - they looked like shredded beef.

Solution is - can each part of the meal in separate jars, that way if one jar goes bad - you don't loose the whole meal. I think it is easier to can carrots by themselves then to put them with something else and then loose everything!

can a pressure cooker be used to cook a 6LB chicken?.and if so,for how long?
I know there are all kinds of ways to cook, and have seen ads for pressure cookers with loads of recipes. I haven't personally cooked in either of mine, but have read it cooks much faster than conventional methods and keeps things moist better. I'm sure you could just google pressure cooker recipes and find a large bird tip or two. Let me know how it turns out and maybe I'll try it too.

i got one in it now.and going with a shorter time.and account,like you said..they cook much faster than conventional methods.

it cooked 50 to 60 minutes,seeing how i forgot to set the timer at first..and i left the pressure value weights setting to one side,instead of using them..it's cooked and being eaten

i dont know who it was..but someone once said that they've canned chicken broth before..on account i now need to do something with what i have,instead of pouring it out..

well.i got me 5 1/2 jars out of it.and now im letting it cool down for labeling.

2016-04-19 001.JPG

i dont know who it was..but someone once said that they've canned chicken broth before..on account i now need to do something with what i have,instead of pouring it out..
Hey Jim, sorry it took so long to respond. I'm burning the candle at both ends, and in the middle! Working a full time job, and starting the new business, and getting the garden going, and having a sick wife, need I go on! Ok, now that I'm done whining, chicken broth is easy. I Make turkey broth the exact same way. Take the carcass of the chicken or turkey with all the fat and a little meat still on it when your done eating off it and put in a large stock pot. I cut up a whole onion, a couple celery stalks, and I like filtered water as it dosent add and off flavors. Boil this down for a couple hours, really just simmering, not roiling. Next add some garlic powder or add some fresh earlier on, and some salt if desired and pepper, and simmer a little longer. Strain the juice with no solids and fill your hot clean jars. Process at 11 lbs for 20 mins for pints, and 25 for quarts. Oh one thing I forgot, if you want fat free, I let the strained stock cool in the fridge and skim off the congealed fat off the top. Then bring it back to a boil before ladeling it into your jars. I have about 4 or five cases of pint jars in the pantry all the times. It's really good for using in rice, or just about any dish that calls for water. It just adds a lot more flavor to most meals, and if you don't use salt like me, it's better for blood pressure.

brent..i went with as is with the broth..but yet.those are the same directions i went with..

i got brave with what i canned.i first removed the rings.then held the jars (with lids still in place)..then i shook them some what.and the lids held..i guess this means it worked.

ok here's what i'm growing this year..habenero for pepper spray,got recipe for that..but yet,i need recipes for the rest.on account i lost my ball recipe book some how..jalapeno.cayenne.pinto.cantaloupe.cucumber for bread n butter pickle.tomato for ketchup,salsa stewed,diced..okra.pole beans(green beans).black eye pea and corn for whole and cream style corn..so if anyone has a recipe for them,it'll be greatly appreciated if ya share it..

Latest posts

Back