Canning

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my mom got brave n tried the stew 2 nights ago..and i got brave n tried it yesterday morning..it still taste like i just cooked it.and no sickness so far..so i'm thinking,i got off easy with it..

my mom got brave n tried the stew 2 nights ago..and i got brave n tried it yesterday morning..it still taste like i just cooked it.and no sickness so far..so i'm thinking,i got off easy with it..
I am glad that neither of you got sick, but I did have to LOL on this one. . . . mom tried it 2 nights ago (and she didn't get sick yet, so maybe I'll try it too) Sorry I am putting words in your mouth, but that is what I know I would be thinking!

:D:D

I have to agree with Danli54grl, LOL! That was kind of funny! I do have a sick since of humor anyway, gets me through the day.

LOL There's a cartoon, called the "Croods" that my kids love. And their favorite joke....

They are talking about walking a long distance to a mountain. All the family is making excuses why not to make this trip. And then the mother in law says, I'll die before we get there. And the son in law says, let do it! LOL

LOL There's a cartoon, called the "Croods" that kids love. And their favorite joke....

They are talking about walking a long distance to a mountain. All the family is making excuses why not to make this trip. And then the mother in law says, I'll die before we get there. And the son in law says, let do it! LOL

That is soooo wrong! I like it, I was thinking of my sons mother-in-law though! My m-i-l is awesome

I know right!? It is hilarious. I can be perfectly honest, both my mother in law and my own mother can get on our last nerve! lol haha My poor hubby does have a crazy MIL! lol haha

Jim you were doing really good by sterilizing your jars and putting the food into them, but I would also run a plastic spoon around and thru your stew after putting the stew into the jars, to make sure you don't have any air bubbles and wipe the rim of your jars just to make sure that they are clean and you can get a good seal. Now this next part is what you left out. Since beef stew is a low acid food ( all meats, be it beef chicken pork seafood and most vegetables) having a Ph level of greater that 4.6 must be heat processed in a pressure cooker to destroy bacteria. Place your jars into your pressure canner, adjust water level, lock lid down and bring to a boil with vent off. Once you see a steady stream of steam let vent for 10 minutes then close vent. Let your pressure get up to 10 lbs (pressure allowed for 0 - 1000 ft above sea level and since you are in Texas, I don't think you are higher than 1000 ft) and process your pints for 75 minutes and quarts for 90 minutes. You will need to watch your pressure because if it falls under 10 lbs you will need to start your timing over. Honestly, I get mine up to 11 lbs just in case. Once your time is up, turn off heat and let the pressure release naturally, do NOT take the vent off at this time. If you do, there is a chance that you will loose the liquid in your jars and you will not get a proper seal. Once it is on 0 lbs, wait a couple minutes then remove your jars and let cool.

Once you get the hang of things canning is a lot of fun! It makes you feel accomplished to see all the things from the garden in their jars sitting pretty on your shelves. Good luck Jim
listen to her advice jim and she'll keep you healthy!

oh yeah..and being a new commer to canning..im deffintly gonna make my mistakes.be it small ones to big ones..

anyone ever can chilli?and if so,is it cheaper to can chilli,or go with store bought?

anyone ever can chilli?and if so,is it cheaper to can chilli,or go with store bought?
Hey Jim, it's almost always cheaper to buy foods, especially when on sale. However, when you make and can your own you know what went in it. It's usually way healthier and tastier, but just as important is the satisfaction of knowing that you produced it. I feel so gratified when I hear that 'pop' when the lid seals.

I think canning your own chili would definitely be cheaper than the store bought stuff (I haven't ever priced it out) and taste a heck of a lot better. Just make up your favorite recipe and use a PRESSURE CANNER :p process for 90 minutes at 10 lbs pressure if you are at 0 to 1000 ft sea level. Adjust pressure depending on our location.

oh yeah..and being a new commer to canning..im deffintly gonna make my mistakes.be it small ones to big ones..
The first time I tried canning anything was peaches. I went to the local library and check out a book about canning, since I didn't have anyone around to show me the process. I can't remember now what I did wrong, maybe the head space?, but I had that sticky concoction seeping out of the jars and no I was not brave and threw it all out. I was so frustrate and 'gun shy' of canning, I returned the book and didn't attempt it again for months. That was my biggest disaster in canning.

The first time I tried canning anything was peaches. I went to the local library and check out a book about canning, since I didn't have anyone around to show me the process. I can't remember now what I did wrong, maybe the head space?, but I had that sticky concoction seeping out of the jars and no I was not brave and threw it all out. I was so frustrate and 'gun shy' of canning, I returned the book and didn't attempt it again for months. That was my biggest disaster in canning.
I blew a couple jars of tomatoes by not having them hot enough when I put them in the boiling water. There is a learning curve here for everyone, but it's not too hard and is so worth the effort Jim. Do you have anyone near you with any experience that can help you?

yeah,there's nothing better then the taste of your own cooking after you hear that lid pop..there's ppl around has done canning.or still does.but im not sure has or not thoe..

yeah,there's nothing better then the taste of your own cooking after you hear that lid pop..there's ppl around has done canning.or still does.but im not sure has or not thoe..

Make sure to wipe the rim with clean hot rag or paper towel, even if you use a funnel! I/we have had problems with tomato products with lids sealing especially when the rim is not wiped well! We think most anything you can will be cheaper than the commercially canned foods, when you compare at the quality and taste. For us, store bought is for convenience. And yes we do have both in our stores for a rainy day!
Good luck on that chili.

Jim, I think I saw the other day that your canner did not have a gauge, the weight can have 3 holes in it one for 5,10,15 lbs if I am not wrong. If so then you just set by your canning book or by canner recommendations.

oh yeah.we have a ninja professional food processor.the blade(s) go from the bottom to the lid....and their shaped like a evergreen tree....which allows me to fry the meat.then run the meat through it to grind it up smaller.

Latest posts

Back