Canning

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We aren't going to get much out of our garden this year to can, except for maybe some peppers and possibly some tomatoes. When my wife comes home in a couple of weeks we're going to start buying everything needed for caning and making sauces. Until our garden starts producing next year we'll go down south to the farming areas and buy in bulk the things we want to can. Looking forward to canning some fish this Fall too.
I've often thought that going to farmers markets would probably be more economical than doing it yourself. I've been growing largely to build up the skills to be able to do it.

well,im up to,these so far.been mostly going with whats on hand .
2 quarts of chicken
4 quarts of beans n ham.down from 6 :D
4 pints of turnips
3 quarts,and 1 pint of spaghetti
5 pints of chili.down from 6 :D
4 pints of chicken broth
2 quarts of corn meal
2 quarts of powdered sugar.

got 2 more chili kits.so more chili will be made..
.got 2 chicken fryers,and that means more canned chicken and broth

p.s. edit.i also have 4 quarts ,and 1 pint of pork loin..

Last edited:
I need to look into the cooking with it more. I've been aware lots of people do, and there's even info mercials on tv about it. I'd like to find a good recipe book for it as I have the same cooker mentioned here and a smaller one too.

exactly sally.i love it..i had to go out n buy a new canning book,on account i couldn't find the one i had to begin with.then i was looking for something else the other day.and found it,pluss another one i have,in which i had forgotten about.i had stuck them in a box with other books,when we painted the living room..

I've often thought that going to farmers markets would probably be more economical than doing it yourself. I've been growing largely to build up the skills to be able to do it.

Yep, same here for why I want to do the garden...but I like your idea of going ahead and starting to can by using bought produce too. That makes a lot of sense. Even with a family of 4, our favorite produce place just has things in bigger quantities than we'd typically use fast enough.

Same with dehydrating too... I really want to dehydrate fruit for use in cereal.

there's a farmers market in one town we go to.and my timing is off every time i go by there.on account their either closing up for the day.or already closed for the day,before i come along..and there's things i want to go ahead and start canning.especially seeing how my garden aint doing so well this year..

I did well with potatoes and green beans this year, and ok with tomatoes. Oh I forgot, I got a ton of beets and turnips and collards. I canned all the above, except the turnips and greens, which got donated to a local soup kitchen since I can't stand them! The turnips were an interesting experiment. They grew great, but still taste nasty... At least I have a load of half pint pickeled beets to enjoy.

apparently,some of you has actually used the Presto-16-Quart-Aluminum-Pressure-Canner to cook with,as well can foods with it.we got 2 fryer hens the other day.now,im wondering.can i cook them in my pressure canner? on account,i've only used it to can with so far..and if any of yall have cooked fryer hens in one..about long will it take to cook both at the same time?

Here you go Jim, This is taken from the Presto Pressure canner instruction manual.

BRAISED WHOLE CHICKEN
3 3-lb. chickens 3 tablespoons cooking oil Salt and pepper 2 cups water Remove neck bone, fold skin down on breast and skewer in position. Fasten legs and wings close to side of body. Heat canner, add oil, and brown chickens on all sides. Season with salt and pepper. Place water, cooking rack, and chickens in canner. Close cover securely. Place pressure regulator on vent pipe and COOK 10 MINUTES at 15 pounds pressure. Let pressure drop of its own accord.
I have used this and the Chicken is fall-apart tender.

Here's a linky to the instruction manual if you don't have one.:)

https://www.gopresto.com/downloads/instructions/0174510.pdf

i cook my chickens as is,in chicken broth only,when canning..that down load looks like a good one..thanks..

well,im 4 or 5 steps short of having 3 more quarts of chicken..i already have the chicken in the jars.but waiting for the broth to cool,so i can skim the grease off of the top.then reheat the broth.and add what i need to,to the chicken..then of course.pressure cook it for 90 minutes..then the remaining broth will get canned..

Try mashing the turnips, with lots of butter and salt, like you'd make mashed potatoes. Not half bad that way. Greens? Well, nothing you can do with those I'm afraid...nasty tasting things....Never did understand that appeal.

im eating a pint jar of spaghetti that i canned on june 20th..the thinness of the sauce i prefer, aint there..but yet,the taste sure is..and it taste great.and no museyness..

ok,important question about canning chicken broth.i had 1 lid and ring come off.2 lids bent out of shape.but still on and in place,and i accidentally let it go for 38 minutes instead of 30 minutes.is the extra 8 minutes the cause of this? or is it that pluss what ever?

p.s. edit..this is what the tops look like..
2016-07-15 002.JPG

Last edited:
ok,important question about canning chicken broth.i had 1 lid and ring come off.2 lids bent out of shape.but still on and in place,and i accidentally let it go for 38 minutes instead of 30 minutes.is the extra 8 minutes the cause of this? or is it that pluss what ever?

p.s. edit..this is what the tops look like..
View attachment 5973
My guess is that the lid popping off was due to the band not being properly tightened down. For the lids that bent, did you make sure to release any gas trapped in the liquid before putting on the lids? If not, it will release the gas which will make your lid bend. Another thought would be, is your liquid hot enough when pouring in jars.

im guessing that i didn't have the band not being properly tightened down..on account one came all the way off of the jar.

well.today im canning 9 pint jars of beans and spam.seeing how my mom loves that more then beans n franks..
What is this fascination with spam! My wife loves that nasty stuff too.... I can eat it when fried, but don't really want to know what it's made from.

Latest posts

Back