When foraging or excepting foraged food one can't be too careful

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick

Top Poster
Reaction score
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
A good reminder of what can happen when foraging and you're not 100% of exactly what it us. There are a lot of look alikes out there so be careful! If you want to do something like this, I would recommend taking along a locally trained person with you. As you have pointed out in another thread, something maybe edible in certain parts but not in other parts of the world.

especially with mushrooms, I know in the UK whilst there might be dozens you can eat there are hundreds that will kill you.
the only one I will touch and I know is edible is one that grows to the size of a dinner plate and is found in fields and meadows.
i'm not a great mushroom eater anyway, I can take it or leave it.

especially with mushrooms, I know in the UK whilst there might be dozens you can eat there are hundreds that will kill you.
the only one I will touch and I know is edible is one that grows to the size of a dinner plate and is found in fields and meadows.
i'm not a great mushroom eater anyway, I can take it or leave it.
I love them, but not enough to test my skills, or lack there of, as a forager.

One thing I'm curious about. I have a large bag of activated charcoal for incidents like this or food poisoning. It works by being really porous and it absorbs the stuff you ingested, protecting you some. I'm wondering if it will hold it long enough for you to pass it, or would you still need to have your stomach pumped?

One thing I'm curious about. I have a large bag of activated charcoal for incidents like this or food poisoning. It works by being really porous and it absorbs the stuff you ingested, protecting you some. I'm wondering if it will hold it long enough for you to pass it, or would you still need to have your stomach pumped?

Never heard of using charcoal for mushrooms, it works for many plants and berries though.

never heard of ingesting charcoal before.

Charcoal good for absorbing poisons if taken in short order of ingesting poison, a lot of people have problems swallowing charcoal and in some cases causes premature vomiting. When we gone camping with little kids we saved some charcoal from the fire pit (charcoaled softwood) and powder it out. Though it's not fool proof and timing dependent.

Last edited:
With charcoal, yes any form is better than nothing, but activated charcoal is what you really need. It is usually superheated with steam and it causes it to swell and has millions of little crevices and pockets. These are what absorbe whatever it is that you don't want in your system. It won't take it all out of your system, but the idea is to take as much of whatever poison out of you quickly as you can. Emergency rooms use it routinely, but I believe stomach pumping afterwards is the norm too. As far as swallowing it, yuk, but I'm sure it's better than being dead.

charcoal is good for some stuff,worhtless for other,sadly,but I have it in my medic bag.
about those "rooms", here in my neck of woods I follow one rule my dad thought me,break a piece from the cap,if the liquid is clear toss it,if it's white you can eat it,
though some "rooms" taste better than others..

poison.org/articles/2015-mar/activated-charcoa

Last edited:
charcoal is good for some stuff,worhtless for other,sadly,but I have it in my medic bag.
about those "rooms", here in my neck of woods I follow one rule my dad thought me,break a piece from the cap,if the liquid is clear toss it,if it's white you can eat it,
though some "rooms" taste better than others..

poison.org/articles/2015-mar/activated-charcoa
Then there's some 'rooms' that make the world seem strange. Watch out for those purple rings around the stem..... when I was a teenager I found a few of those growing in piles of cow dung.

Then there's some 'rooms' that make the world seem strange. Watch out for those purple rings around the stem..... when I was a teenager I found a few of those growing in piles of cow dung.

They were popular here when I was a kid. They made tea from them that was supposed to be pretty potent. I never tried it, mainly because it grew from cow piles....

Latest posts

Back