Sun Kettle

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHrusky

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the 'Sun Kettle'? Been trying to figure out if these are any good or if there is something better (and bigger) out there. It's only 16oz so fairly small (They do have a 33oz version as well). I've read some reviews claiming they are built really cheap and break easily. Would be a great item to have IF they were durable.

Anyone know of something better for this?

Attachments

• sun kettle.jpg
    sun kettle.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 0
Why not just build fire when out in the wilderness to boil water and put in a thermos to stay warm? Yeah, you may want to reheat after a few hours depending on your thermos, but seems like a better option in my opinion. If you have read reviews claiming that they are built cheaply and break, then forking over $67 buck doesn't seem like a great investment. Sorry, I have never tried or used, just giving you another option. Keeping an eye on this just in case others have used.

Interesting design. Built an outdoor oven using this kind of "technology" once. It didn´t work well.
I won´t buy that "waterboiler".

If you want to carry stuff around to boil water use a kelly kattle. It´s as expensive as yours and there´s some multiuse included. ;-)

Get yourself something real that works if you have the money and interest in a survival water cooker but additionally a usb charger for lights, cellphone or small things....

When you carry a full size castiron pan on your trail, then you can also carry gear like that camp stove. Sorry guys, but ain´t weight and size issues?

The kettle and the campstove are both gear for a stationary camp you reach by your favourite 4x4. The sunkettle is nonsense, i think. The campstove can be usefull if you have to use energy or generate some. But please ask yourself if you really have to!

In my youth (long ago) I quickly learned to weigh (pun intended) the value of objects I needed to back pack to my intended destination. When you have to carry these items on your back, their related value to their weight is very quickly determined. Example" One can of soup vs, one package of Ramon.

As I lived off the land across America, I had one aluminum pan and one Sierra tin cup, matches, rice, flour, sugar, tea, boullion cubes, fishing pole+stuff, a wrist rocket, 9 liters of water containers and a single pair of jungle boots and 3 pairs of clothes and 5 socks. A very thin sleeping bag and a piece of canvas as a covering against the wind/rain, no tent. That worked well for almost 8 months. I know how to go minimum and can still carry my 45 kg. /100 lb. BOB without any problems----50 years later. And still with no tent.
My comments are only for the person intended if he/she/it/they wanted something better for making hot water and have the money, not engaging as to the where and why of what they plan to do or use it for.
Sorry if that was misunderstood.

Latest posts

Back