Swiss army knives / multi tools
- Jun 18, 2012
- Reaction score
- Southern California
- BolsterUber PreparedIf you make "StrawTubes" what do you carry in them? For me it's:
- matches (3 strike anywhere matches will fit in one straw, two heads to one end, one to the other)
- tinder (dryer lint mixed with petroleum jelly--you can pack a whole lot in, if you tamp it down),
- insect repellant (appears to be flammable? Sizzles and sparks upon sealing)
- detergent (for cleaning dirty hands, or cleaning an injury. The hardest to seal because detergent will not allow a seal if it gets in the area where it is pinched and melted).
My StrawTubes are cut to 2.5 inches long, which fits in the Ezy Dose ziplock pill pouches available at Rite Aid. The best straws come from AmPm mini-market and InNOut. The worst straws come from 7Eleven, they're worthless, they crack, don't even try to use them.
I wish I could find pure ethanol, I would carry that, primarily for sterilization but also as a fire starter. But only denatured is sold on the market. I have read that some folks carry vodka. However I've heard some people say they'd not eat anything from a StrawTube, since heating and melting the plastic may release unknown undesirables.
What do you carry, and why?