Straw tube, Great container when size matters !

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colt 1911

Swiss army knives / multi tools
Reaction score
  1. Bolster
    Uber Prepared
    If you make "StrawTubes" what do you carry in them? For me it's:

- matches (3 strike anywhere matches will fit in one straw, two heads to one end, one to the other)
    - tinder (dryer lint mixed with petroleum jelly--you can pack a whole lot in, if you tamp it down),
    - insect repellant (appears to be flammable? Sizzles and sparks upon sealing)
    - detergent (for cleaning dirty hands, or cleaning an injury. The hardest to seal because detergent will not allow a seal if it gets in the area where it is pinched and melted).

My StrawTubes are cut to 2.5 inches long, which fits in the Ezy Dose ziplock pill pouches available at Rite Aid. The best straws come from AmPm mini-market and InNOut. The worst straws come from 7Eleven, they're worthless, they crack, don't even try to use them.

I wish I could find pure ethanol, I would carry that, primarily for sterilization but also as a fire starter. But only denatured is sold on the market. I have read that some folks carry vodka. However I've heard some people say they'd not eat anything from a StrawTube, since heating and melting the plastic may release unknown undesirables.

What do you carry, and why?

StrawTube.jpg

To make : cut to length, melt one end and crimp with needle nose, pack in whatever and melt and crimp.
I have a tube with triple antibiotic rolling around in a altoids tin for months with no leaking.

1. Bolster
    Uber Prepared
    If you make "StrawTubes" what do you carry in them? For me it's:

- matches (3 strike anywhere matches will fit in one straw, two heads to one end, one to the other)
    - tinder (dryer lint mixed with petroleum jelly--you can pack a whole lot in, if you tamp it down),
    - insect repellant (appears to be flammable? Sizzles and sparks upon sealing)
    - detergent (for cleaning dirty hands, or cleaning an injury. The hardest to seal because detergent will not allow a seal if it gets in the area where it is pinched and melted).

My StrawTubes are cut to 2.5 inches long, which fits in the Ezy Dose ziplock pill pouches available at Rite Aid. The best straws come from AmPm mini-market and InNOut. The worst straws come from 7Eleven, they're worthless, they crack, don't even try to use them.

I wish I could find pure ethanol, I would carry that, primarily for sterilization but also as a fire starter. But only denatured is sold on the market. I have read that some folks carry vodka. However I've heard some people say they'd not eat anything from a StrawTube, since heating and melting the plastic may release unknown undesirables.

What do you carry, and why?
To make : cut to length, melt one end and crimp with needle nose, pack in whatever and melt and crimp.
I have a tube with triple antibiotic rolling around in a Altoids tin for months with no leaking.
Thanks for this idea! I will be implementing this as soon as I get some straws.

Latest posts

Back